Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Earthquakes!
A couple of earthquakes were felt in California last night, which started with a 3.6 near Los Angeles, and followed by a 2.0 magnitude aftershock.

[Image: 1400x788]

Quote:A magnitude 3.6 earthquake was felt in Los Angeles on Monday night, particularly on the Westside and in the San Fernando Valley.
The epicenter of the earthquake, which struck at 11:20 p.m., was just west of the Sepulveda Pass of the 405 Freeway in the Santa Monica Mountains.

The U.S. Geological Survey’s ShakeMap said light to moderate shaking — categorized as intensity 4 and 5, and depicted on a map as aqua and green — was felt in parts of the Westside and the San Fernando Valley, but probably was not heavy enough to cause any significant damage. Shaking was also felt in Los Feliz, Silver Lake and Glendale.

But not everyone felt the temblor — some in Westwood slept through the earthquake.
[/url]
[url=http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-fears-20170919-htmlstory.html]

“We get these size earthquakes fairly frequently,” said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Zachary Reeves. “Any severe damage would be pretty unlikely.”

Moderate shaking — or intensity 5 shaking — is defined by the USGS as “felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.”

Light shaking, or intensity 4 shaking, is defined as having a strength that can awaken some people and disturb dishes, windows and doors; can cause walls to make a cracking sound; or provide the sensation of a heavy truck striking a building.
There were no reports of damage. It was followed by a 2.0 magnitude aftershock.

The last notable earthquake in the Westwood area was a 4.4 magnitude temblor that struck in 2014.
Seismologist Lucy Jones said on Twitter that the quake was on a small east-trending thrust fault.

Source

And we also have a bigger 7.1 quake in Mexico City.

[Image: d384b38830e541378d5a9c84a8b0a558.jpg]

Quote:EXICO CITY (AP) — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake jolted central Mexico on Tuesday, collapsing some buildings, cracking the facades of others and scattering rubble on streets on the anniversary of a devastating 1985 quake.

The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage was not yet clear. Mexican media broadcast images of several collapsed buildings in heavily populated parts of the city.
The U.S. Geological Survey calculated its magnitude at 7.1 and said it was centered near the Puebla state town of Raboso, about 76 miles (123 kilometers) southeast of Mexico City.

Puebla Gov. Tony Galil tweeted that there had been damaged buildings in the city of Cholula including collapsed church steeples.
In Mexico City, thousands of people fled office buildings and hugged to calm each other along the central Reforma Avenue as alarms blared, and traffic stopped around the Angel of Independence monument.

In the Roma neighborhood, which was struck hard by the 1985 quake, piles of stucco and brick fallen from building facades littered the streets. At least one large parking structure collapsed. Two men calmed a woman seated on a stool in the street, blood trickling form a small wound on her knee.

At a nearby market, a worker in a hardhat walked around the outside warning people not to smoke as a smell of gas filled the air.
Market stall vendor Edith Lopez, 25, said she was in a taxi a few blocks away when the quake struck. She said she saw glass bursting out of the windows of some buildings. She was anxiously trying to locate her children, whom she had left in the care of her disabled mother.

Pictures fell from office building walls, objects were shaken off of flat surfaces and computer monitors toppled over. Some people dove for cover under desks. Local media broadcast video of whitecap waves churning the city's normally placid canals of Xochimilco as boats bobbed up and down.

Earlier in the day workplaces across the city held preparation drills on the anniversary of the 1985 quake, a magnitude 8.1 shake, which killed thousands of people and devastated large parts of Mexico City.

Much of Mexico City is built on former lakebed, and the soil is known to amplify the effects of earthquakes even hundreds of miles away.

Source

Off topic, there are three more hurricanes in the oceans. One in the Pacific, and two in the Atlantic. 
I THINK MOTHER EARTH IS PISSED!   tinyshocked
(09-19-2017, 09:42 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: ...I THINK MOTHER EARTH IS PISSED!   tinyshocked

Probably at all the circle-jerking going on at the Emmys.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(09-19-2017, 09:52 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 09:42 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: ...I THINK MOTHER EARTH IS PISSED!   tinyshocked

Probably at all the circle-jerking going on at the Emmys.

I didn't watch them, so I have no idea who's circle they are jerking.  I think I'm better off.   tinybiggrin
Quote:The quake hit only hours after many people participated in earthquake drills around the nation on the anniversary of a devastating quake that killed thousands in Mexico City in 1985.

Source

Hmm...  remind you of anything?  (9-11)   tinybighuh

I smell HAARP!!
Mother Nature hates Trump. Guy goes to the UN with his fake big cock hanging out and BAM.

tinylaughing tinylaughing

Could be wrong though, it could be nature's way of approving a self grandiose asshat who can say (with a straight face) "america first" and seconds later "we are going to destroy a country".

Apparently a trillion dollar war in the middle east did nothing to quell the neocon Don into rethinking exactly what "america first" actually means. 

Step 1, stop picking fights with others (and before you say it, THOUSANDS OF "SOVIET"NUKES HAVE BEEN POINTED AT US FOR DECADES. So I'm good with living with the crazy.

Besides, over a trillion dollars spent on defense every other year and fuckers are worried about a few missles? While complaining about "useless eaters" on welfare? Gimme a fucking break  tinylaughing
Sorry I started a thread with the same title... This thread was not showing when I posted... However the thread I posted is about a guy who does forecast and he nailed this one..
Update on Sky's posting:

Quote:Mexico earthquake kills scores and leaves at least 20 dead at school.

'Rescue workers search through the rubble for missing children - as the number killed by
the 7.1 quake rises to more than 200.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2520]

At least 20 children have died after their school collapsed in an earthquake in central Mexico
that has killed more than 200 people.
Thirty of their classmates and eight adults are still missing in the building, which like dozens of
others has been turned into rubble.

Two adults were also killed when the primary school Colegio Enrique Rebsamen collapsed in
Mexico City, said the country's President Enrique Pena Nieto, who visited the scene.

The 7.1 magnitude quake hit central Mexico hours after preparation drills were held on the anniversary
of a devastating 1985 earthquake that killed more than 5,000 people in Mexico City.
At least 216 people have been killed in Tuesday's quake, including 117 in the capital, authorities confirmed.

At the school, TV pictures showed rescue teams working late into the night, using picks, shovels and their
hands as well as heavy lifting gear in an attempt to find survivors.

Education officials said 25 bodies had been recovered but three were pulled out alive.
Relatives said they had received a WhatsApp message from two girls inside.
"They keep pulling kids out, but we know nothing of my daughter," said 32-year-old Adriana D'Fargo,
whose seven-year-old remains missing.

President Enrique Pena Nieto, after visiting the school, appealed for calm, saying: "The priority at this
moment is to keep rescuing people who are still trapped and to give medical attention to the injured people."

Earlier, panicked workers fled from office buildings and clouds of dust rose up from the crumbling facades
of damaged buildings after the quake struck. As many as 44 buildings collapsed in Mexico City, according
to mayor Miguel Angel Mancera.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2521]

The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake was centred near Raboso in Puebla state, 76 miles
(123km) southeast of Mexico City. Officials asked people not to smoke in the streets of Mexico City - which
has a population of 20 million - warning of possible ruptured gas pipes.
Mexico City International Airport suspended operations, while electricity and phone lines were down in parts
of the capital.

The earthquake came less than two weeks after an 8.1 magnitude tremor in southern Mexico killed at least
98 people...'
SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Another earthquake hits Japan 24 hours after Mexico was hit.  The "ring of fire" appears to be coming to life.   tinybighuh

Quote:Less than 24-hours after a 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit central Mexico, 6.1-magnitude tremors rocked the coast of Japan Wednesday. The quake’s epicenter was 175 miles east of Kamaishi, and not far from the 9.0-magnitude blast that sent tsunami waves racing toward Fukushima in 2011. As of this writing, there have not been any reports of damage or tsunami warnings, but the earthquake hit at 2:37 a.m. local time, and the story is still developing.

After the 2011 event caused massive damage at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, Japan is understandably on edge over undersea earthquakes. During the earthquake--which was the fourth-largest in world since measurements began in 1900-- and the subsequent tsunami, nearly 20,000 people died or went missing.

The tsunami waves, not the earthquake, were what caused the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility to melt down. Amidst the fallout, the nearby town was ordered to evacuate. More than 5,000 aftershocks hit over the next year, causing $220 billion in damage to to the country.

The images of that disaster were heart-crushing, and many have been indelibly burned into the world’s collective memory. The photo gallery above is a reminder of both the might of Mother Nature and the potential danger of nuclear power, as well as a warning for what could happen the next time a big earthquake hits.

Japan Earthquake
Just now seeing this! 

[Image: 700_02d684e1ec5674d1f89f38d756b387e6.jpg?v=1506111294]

Quote:The initial quake was quickly followed by a second one coming in at a magnitude of 5.6, which hit closer to shore, the USGS said. Both quakes were very shallow, which amplified their effects, Reuters reported. The USGS reported that the second quake occurred 36 miles (58 kilometers) west of Ferndale, California, around 12:50pm Pacific time ( via rt.com ).

[Image: DKWsErkVAAAH2xL.jpg]

I think it's time to batten down the hatches!   tinysurprised
Dutchsinse predicted the Earthquake that hit outside the coast of CA today, so let's see what he says will be coming up next.

Another quake hits Mexico! 

A strong earthquake shook southern Mexico on Saturday morning, the third temblor to hit the country this month.

The latest quake sent shock waves hundreds of miles out from its epicenter to Mexico City, causing buildings to sway and raising alarm in the capital still reeling from Tuesday's 7.1 magnitude earthquake that Mexican officials say has killed at least 300 people.

Once the shaking stopped, rescuers in Mexico City resumed searches inside collapsed buildings where people may still be buried alive.
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, who declared three days of national mourning after the devastating seismic event, has said saving lives is the top priority and search and rescue efforts will be ongoing as long as survivors are believed to be beneath the rubble.

The earthquake on Saturday morning occurred around around 7:53 a.m. CT and had a 6.1 magnitude, according to the United States Geological Survey. It was centered about 11 miles south-southeast of Matias Romero in Oaxaca state, a region worst hit by the first earthquake this month -- an 8.1 magnitude temblor on Sept. 7 that killed at least 90 people.

So far, Saturday's quake caused the greatest damage to the Ixtaltepec bridge in Oaxaca, which needs to be rebuilt, as well to structures already damaged from previous quakes, according to Pena Nieto.

Read much more and see a video and pictures here: 
3rd earthquake in a month shakes Mexico as rescuers search for life in capital
My mother in law is about an hour southwest of Mexico City and (thankfully) didn't get much other than a scare from the 7.1. She felt the others this morning (she said 2 of them hit this morning) but this is just crazy. Especially if you are one of those digging through rubble I can't imagine the feeling to be searching and then have the ground moving under your feet again

tinyshocked tinyshocked
(09-24-2017, 12:19 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: My mother in law is about an hour southwest of Mexico City and (thankfully) didn't get much other than a scare from the 7.1. She felt the others this morning (she said 2 of them hit this morning) but this is just crazy. Especially if you are one of those digging through rubble I can't imagine the feeling to be searching and then have the ground moving under your feet again

tinyshocked tinyshocked

I Happy Your Mother In law is Safe.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(09-24-2017, 12:41 AM)guohua Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 12:19 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: My mother in law is about an hour southwest of Mexico City and (thankfully) didn't get much other than a scare from the 7.1. She felt the others this morning (she said 2 of them hit this morning) but this is just crazy. Especially if you are one of those digging through rubble I can't imagine the feeling to be searching and then have the ground moving under your feet again

tinyshocked tinyshocked

Thank you! We were relieved but still sad for what happened. When I first got news of the quake and they said how close it was to Mexico City it was a bit tense until new broke out of the epicenter. She's about the same distance from Mexico City as the epicenter (just in the other direction). If it had hit southwest instead of southeast we would be seeing pictures of her city in ruin. Just sad all around. 

Such is life in the Ring of Fire though.
(09-24-2017, 12:45 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 12:41 AM)guohua Wrote:

tinyshocked tinyshocked

Thank you! We were relieved but still sad for what happened. When I first got news of the quake and they said how close it was to Mexico City it was a bit tense until new broke out of the epicenter. She's about the same distance from Mexico City as the epicenter (just in the other direction). If it had hit southwest instead of southeast we would be seeing pictures of her city in ruin. Just sad all around. 

Such is life in the Ring of Fire though.

I do hope the rest of your family is safe.
I know you have to worry a lot when you hear of Earth Quakes down south. 
It may be time to build and attach a Studio apartment to your home and move in Your Mother In Law!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]