Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2017 Solar Eclipse
Well now, you all know we have to have a thread to post pictures of yesterday's solar eclipse. tinybiggrin 

I watched on the NASA website as it started in Oregon, and then went outside as it approached my neck of the woods. I didn't take any pictures because I read you need a special lens so it doesn't damage your camera, but I've seen many of my "friends" on Face Book posting pictures they took.

Anyone out there have some to share with us?

This one is from the Nasa's Best Photos Website
There are more on the website, but I've seen better being posted by amatures.   tinylaughing 

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv...FTQS5qcGc=]

I was in the 99% totality range, so it didn't get completely dark here, but enough for the security lights to come on in people's yards. The air cooled down, and there was a very surreal feeling all around me. It was almost eerie.

I had my special eye protection on and watched until what I saw was almost just like the picture above, but that's all the coverage it made. I got tired of straining my neck, so I stopped at that point and came inside. (I was expecting an important phone call.)
That was a mistake, because I saw a lot of photos from people on Face Book showing the red moon as it crossed over to the other side. Dang it, I missed that! Didn't get to see the diamond ring in person that blew everyone away, either. tinycrying 
My outside animals were confused and thought it was time for supper (that's when I feed them their evening meal). tinylaughing

I could have traveled just an hour away to see the total eclipse, but long rides hurt my back and knee, so I just stayed here and got the best view online in the comfort of my home.

Anyone want to share their experience?
Here are a few pictures from FB that I'll share.

This one is from NASA's view from space showing "the diamond ring"     [Image: 20953396_10212242640473633_1364896508286...e=5A1D51B6]

This one is also from NASA:

[Image: 20953380_1406709512760812_85318681721855...e=5A158CEA]

Not really sure who took this one, it was shared by a lot of people before it got to me:

[Image: 20993071_10212133448765016_7083517857541...e=5A35366E]

Here is a short time-elapsed video, beginning in OR:
(click on the picture)

Here is an interesting article about eclipses that some might enjoy reading:
What Astrologers Know About Eclipses That You Don’t
It was mostly cloudy here yesterday, But we noticed it did get darker for a little bit.
Nice pictures MW, thank you.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-23-2017, 12:05 AM)guohua Wrote: It was mostly cloudy here yesterday, But we noticed it did get darker for a little bit.
Nice pictures MW, thank you.

I'm surprised it wasn't cloudy and raining here; it usually is during any type of major cosmic event.
I think all you had to do was put a protective lens, like a welding helmet glass, over the camera lens. A friend of mine got a couple good shots that way. The first one is awesome, there was a big cloud near it and it toned down the sunlight enough to make a GREAT shot. I'll post it when she sends it to me!
Well.. I certainly cannot beat NASA photos, but hubby and I had a great time. We went to the top of the mountain armed with ice water, lawn chairs, our camera's (respectively) and of course our eclipse glasses. 

I didn't have the extra funds to purchase the proper lens on my camera, so my eclipse glasses doubled as a camera lens.. lol. It worked well, albeit a little awkward at times. Hahaha.. 

Just a lovely day, a little sunburned, and even with good eclipse glasses I have a bit of welders burn in my eyes. Having a difficult time focusing for too long today, and my eyes keep watering. It was worth it! :)
(08-23-2017, 02:53 AM)Grace Wrote: Well.. I certainly cannot beat NASA photos, but hubby and I had a great time. We went to the top of the mountain armed with ice water, lawn chairs, our camera's (respectively) and of course our eclipse glasses. 

I didn't have the extra funds to purchase the proper lens on my camera, so my eclipse glasses doubled as a camera lens.. lol. It worked well, albeit a little awkward at times. Hahaha.. 

Just a lovely day, a little sunburned, and even with good eclipse glasses I have a bit of welders burn in my eyes. Having a difficult time focusing for too long today, and my eyes keep watering. It was worth it! :)

Care to share your pictures with us here?