Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Social media harnessed to expose white nationalists at rally
Social media harnessed to expose white nationalists at rally

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — One of the social media posts resembled a wanted poster or a missing-persons flyer: Photographs of men were arranged in rows, seeking their names and employers.

But the Facebook post wasn't circulated by law enforcement in the search for a suspect or by relatives looking for a missing loved one. It was an example of ordinary people trying to harness the power of social media to identify and shame the white nationalists who attended last weekend's violent rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

A Twitter account dedicated to calling out racism identified people who attended the rally using photos culled from the news and social media and listed their places of employment and other information.

"I'm a white Jewish man. So I strongly believe that white people in particular have a responsibility to stand up against bigotry because bigotry thrives on silence," the creator of the account, Logan Smith of Raleigh, North Carolina, told The Associated Press. Using the handle YesYoureRacist, his account grew from around 64,000 followers on Saturday to more than 300,000 by Monday afternoon.

A website created Sunday dedicated itself to collecting the names, social media profiles, colleges and employers of people photographed at the rally. At least one person has lost his job as a result.

Together, the efforts showed that angry online groups can be used to renounce racism as well as promote it.

"The goal with online shaming is very short term and driven by people's desire to feel as if they are fighting back and having an impact," said Brian Reich, who's written several books on digital communications, behavior and political influence. "They are afraid, appalled and they want to stop it."

But is it helpful? Reich said the people behind these efforts "are arguably fanning the flames," giving attention to a group — white supremacists — that feeds on attention.
___
THE END OF ANONYMITY?
Nicholas Brody, professor of communications at the University of Puget Sound, said the events show that in the age of social media, "nothing is really anonymous anymore."

People attending a white supremacist rally decades ago may have had the comfort of knowing that their schools, employers and disapproving family members probably wouldn't find out about their activity.

These days, not only can information be quickly and widely shared, but a lot of data is available about people on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Image searches and facial-recognition technology, meanwhile, can make it relatively easy to identify people online. Smith said he called out the people pictured in photos from the rally through a combination of tips from former classmates and others and online sleuthing.

But the method isn't foolproof. In 2013, users of Twitter and the website Reddit wrongly accused a man of being a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing. Reddit later apologized .

___
COLLEGE STUDENT IS EXPOSED
Peter Cvjetanovic, a 20-year-old college student, was photographed shouting with a group of torch-wielding protesters Friday during a march through the University of Virginia campus. Cvjetanovic said in a television interview that he didn't expect the photo to spread as widely as it did.

But spread it did. And thousands of people signed an online petition to have him kicked out of school. Cvjetanovic told a local TV station that he is "not the angry racist they see in that photo," but a white nationalist who cares for all people.

The University of Nevada in Reno confirmed Monday that Cvjetanovic is a student there. Spokeswoman Kerri Garcia said the university is "still monitoring the situation and reviewing information."

A message left for Cvjetanovic through the school was not returned. There was no telephone listing available for him in Reno.

Meanwhile, Top Dog, a hot dog company in the San Francisco area, said one of its employees resigned after being confronted by management about participating in the rally.
___
'DOXING' AS INVITATION TO VIOLENCE
The practice of publishing private or identifying information — such as an address or phone number — about people online in an attempt to hurt, shame or abuse them is known as "doxing."

In the 1990s, anti-abortion hackers infamously exposed abortion providers' home addresses, photos and other information on a now-defunct website called the "Nuremberg Files." Names that were greyed out indicated people who had been "wounded."

A strikethrough meant they had been killed.

Collecting and posting publicly available information, such as a photo of a person attending a public protest, is not the same thing, even if that can still hurt or shame people.

Paul Levinson, a communications professor and social media expert, called it a "moral obligation" to expose white supremacists for who they are, something for which social media provides a good opportunity.

Gordon Coonfield, communications professor at Villanova University, said there is an important difference in the reasons people get doxed.

"Doxing an advocate of racial equality is an implicit — and often explicit — call for violence against them," he said in an email. "Doxing a white nationalist is a call for accountability. Compelling individuals to be accountable for their words and deeds online or off is not a threat to freedom of expression. It is the foundation of freedom of expression."

Case in point, Smith said, he has received many death threats because of his Twitter posts, so he's going to consider whether to continue.

"They got ahold of all my personal info and have been threatening me and my family and even my wife's family," he said.

Of course, mere presence at a rally does not imply willing participation. Tiki Brand Products, whose torches were used and widely photographed during the rally, took to Facebook to distance itself from the march.

"We do not support their message or the use of our products in this way," the company wrote on its Facebook page. Our products are designed to enhance backyard gatherings and to help family and friends connect with each other at home in their yard."

__
Associated Press Writer Jonathan Drew contributed to this story from Raleigh, North Carolina.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Tags: NEWSWIRES ASSOCIATED PRESS BUSINESS NEWSWIRES

So this is ok..

We report to private secret police and poof

This is wrong and these idiots are celebrating it
You take away people's livelihood and education, they have nothing better to do than to fight you. Nothing. Good way to start a war though.

How many people were there, not because they are white supremacists, but because they don't want to see historical monuments destroyed? None of us know that answer.
and the counter narrative

warning embedded video starts on link

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

Quote:The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog post published on Monday.

Dreamhost, a web hosting provider, said that it has been working with the Department of Justice for several months on the request, which believes goes too far under the Constitution.

DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.

“That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution’s First Amendment,” DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. “That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone’s mind.” 

When contacted, the Justice Department directed The Hill to the U.S. attorney's office in D.C. The U.S. attorney's office declined to comment but provided the filings related to the case. 

The company is currently challenging the request. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Friday in Washington.

“In essence, the Search Warrant not only aims to identify the political dissidents of the current administration, but attempts to identify and understand what content each of these dissidents viewed on the website,” the company’s general counsel, Chris Ghazarian, said in a legal argument opposing the request.

The web provider published a search warrant issued by the Superior Court of the District of Columbia that asks for records and information related to the website and its owner, along with information that could be used to identify subscribers of the website.

This includes “names, addresses, telephone numbers and other identifiers, e-mail addresses, business information, the length of service (including start date), means and source of payment for services (including any credit card or bank account number), and information about any domain name registration.” 

The warrant, dated July 12, says that authorities will seize any information constituting violations of D.C. code governing riots that involve individuals connected to the protests on Inauguration Day.

More than 200 people were indicted on felony rioting charges in connection with the protests in Washington on Jan. 20. 

[email=?subject=TheHill.com%3A%20Justice%20demands%201.3M%20IP%20addresses%20related%20to%20Trump%20resistance%20site&body=From%20TheHill.com%3A%20%0A%0AWeb%20hosting%20provider%20challenging%20request%20for%20info%20on%20anti-Trump%20website%20used%20to%20organize%20Inaugura...%0A%0Ahttp%3A//thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/346544-dreamhost-claims-doj-requesting-info-on-visitors-to-anti-trump-website] [/email]

Awe.. The magic of double think
(08-15-2017, 07:41 PM)Armonica_Templar Wrote: Awe.. The magic of double think

That isn't double speak.. double speak is this:

Quote:"Doxing an advocate of racial equality is an implicit — and often explicit — call for violence against them," he said in an email. "Doxing a white nationalist is a call for accountability. Compelling individuals to be accountable for their words and deeds online or off is not a threat to freedom of expression. It is the foundation of freedom of expression."
(Quote is from your first post)

A search warrant is an entirely different animal than doxing, and is only signed off on by a judge when there is probable cause to believe criminal activity existed, or was carried out from there.

What they are fighting here is a criminal case and trying to use the law in their favor with your (second) quoted post. So, that isn't entirely double speak, as it deals with law and not ideology concerning doxing people. The law protects all of us and I don't believe it can ever be discounted.

In the end, you are correct though, they want their identities hidden from their employers, from their families, friends and neighbors, as evidenced in post #1, but one important reason is BECAUSE they are committing crimes against the state and want to remain anonymous while doing so, as evidenced by post #2, so they won't be CRIMINALLY charged.

They believe this.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Why not just put the hoods back on to hide their identities, if they do not want the exposure in this digital age?

Simple.
(08-15-2017, 09:34 PM)1984hasarrived Wrote: Why not just put the hoods back on to hide their identities, if they do not want the exposure in this digital age?

Simple.

I agree 1984, they can just don their black clothes and that face-scarf and they'll been fine!!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(08-15-2017, 09:44 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:34 PM)1984hasarrived Wrote: Why not just put the hoods back on to hide their identities, if they do not want the exposure in this digital age?

Simple.

I agree 1984, they can just don their black clothes and that face-scarf and they'll been fine!!

Yes and Don't forget their Motorcycle Melmets.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]

Simple.

I shall just leave your comment hanging there, so people can come to this forum and read through the comments.

I stand by what I said.
(08-15-2017, 10:37 PM)guohua Wrote:

Simple.

Yes and Don't forget their Motorcycle Melmets.

I shall just leave your comment hanging there, so people can come to this forum and read through the comments.

I stand by what I said.

Oh, and *helmets

Simple.

I agree - after all, that's what ANTIFA, Black-Bloc, etc. do, and it seems to be working for them!

What has the nation come to when a white hood is a BAD thing, but a black hood is a GOOD thing? How can ANY hood be a GOOD thing in this context?

If anyone is afraid to show their face, I submit that perhaps they ought to re-examine what it is they are doing that they need to hide from.

Chicken-shit is as chicken shit does, eh?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

I agree, leave those post as they are to include yours 1984hasarrived.

It's simple, if the BLM and ANTIF and others hadn't showed up to fight and confront the Nazi's and White Supremacist those Racist Bastards would have marched around that Statue and held their rally and after being ignored for a few hours they'd have gone home.
No Burning or destroying cars and store fronts or Robbing the stores and shops.

Sorry but we do disagree and that's OK.
I'll make this statement and let it Stand.

I don't Blame The White Supremacist and Nazi's for her death.
I Blame the Unsanctioned, Unruly Mob that show up to Purposely Confront, Agitate and Create a Violent Atmosphere.
UA professor misidentified as white supremacist, 'shocked' by social media response

Quote:University of Arkansas assistant professor Kyle P. Quinn hasn’t slept in his own bed in three days. Not since a web-sleuth posted his home address online and strangers began clamoring for his resignation — all because he was wrongly identified, and a social media mob quickly condemned him.

As a white pride rally in Charlottesville, Va., spurred a slog of violence Friday night into the weekend, including a death of a 32-year-old woman, social media became the next battlefield. Enraged anti-racists took to Twitter to bash the bigots shown in photographs at the rally, and Quinn got caught in the fray.

Quinn, an assistant professor in the College of Engineering, runs a university lab that works to understand abnormalities in the “wound healing process,” and is not, as hundreds of social-media users assumed, a white supremacist.

But in the aftermath of the Virginia violence, online accounts began posting cropped photos of the men who attended the Unite the Right rally and asking users to identify them. Among those photos was one showing a brown-haired white man with glasses who touted a torch and wore a red University of Arkansas College of Engineering T-shirt.

A Twitter account called “Yes, You’re Racist,” which boasts more than 350,000 followers, shared the picture and captioned it, “Any Arkansas Engineering folks recognize this guy? Must be awfully proud of his school to represent it at a Klan rally...”

Social media answered, wrongly, with a yell.

Internet sleuths shared side-by-side photos of the torch-wielding man next to Quinn’s headshot from the University’s website, saying this was their guy. The two bear some resemblance, but the man at the rally is someone else.

Users also shared side-by-side photos of the engineering T-shirt man and Billy Roper, a brown-haired, bespectacled white supremacist from Russellville. After first telling hoards of angry people it was him in the photo, Roper wrote on his blog that he had lied to mess with “leftists.” He then commended rally-goers for their “acts of courage and manly self-defense."

Quinn, who was at home in Fayettevillle on the couch with his wife, got a call from Amy Schlesing, UA's director of strategic communications. She told him she was sorry she was about to ruin his weekend, Quinn said in an interview Monday.

The professor learned he’d been misidentified and that social media users were amassing an army through tweets and retweets.

“I thought it was ridiculous and I was shocked, but I didn’t really understand what was about to happen and the kind of emails and phone calls and posting online that I was about to get,” Quinn said.

Dozens of emails, tweets and phone calls poured in from fuming strangers. A petition posted on Change.org called for Quinn’s resignation. It's since been taken down.

“I checked my messages once, and then I knew I didn’t want to check my messages anymore,” Quinn said.

The threats he was getting, while not explicitly violent, were certainly full of vitriol.

“No one said, ‘I’m going to kill you,’ but basically, ‘I hope you choke on your white racism,’” something along those lines,” Quinn said.

Schlesing said in a phone interview Tuesday that once the university verified Quinn did not attend the rally, they started to reinforce the same, clear correction. They flagged the misinformation and reported any threatening message.

Still, news gathers steam on social media within seconds and is almost “impossible to stop,” she said. The university was inundated with emails filled with unprintable curses.

Schlesing, who noted she covered the Iraq and Afghanistan wars while at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, called the emails "some of the worst language I've ever seen."

“It’s still going on. It’s not over,” Schlesing said.

Acquaintances Quinn hadn’t seen in two decades reached out to ask what was going on, he said. One man with whom Quinn went to high school was unaware he became a professor. The man couldn’t believe the misidentification took off online, he told Quinn, because the photo didn't look like him.

On Saturday, Quinn and his wife stayed hunkered down at home, he said. They tried to do a little yard work but were mostly on the phone with the University’s communications people and campus police. Then, Quinn said, someone posted their home address online.

They shipped off to a friend’s house for the night and then left for Quinn’s parents’ home outside Arkansas borders the next day. His wife, and others in his life, are horrified and angry about the online hate that’s poured in, he said. Quinn said he’s upset as well, though he tends to be pretty even-keeled.

“You kind of have to be in this job,” he said. “You’re constantly getting rejections from grants or paper revisions. Having misunderstandings is part of the job. I think that probably helps prepare someone a little bit.”

To quell the misplaced outrage, the University issued a statement and got some of the comparison photos taken down, Quinn said. He defended himself on Twitter, saying whoever wore the shirt “obviously does not represent my values” or the college’s values. He then thanked people who supported him through the mixup.

Several Twitter users tweeted back apologies for their rash reactions. “I try to speak/spread only love," one user wrote, "and yet i (sic) jumped on the 1st ship accusing you of something you had no part of."

“i (sic) have so much to learn,” she continued, punctuated with a frowny face.

Read Wednesday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

The big question.. Will those that made the accusation be arrested

It has started..
About misidentification, the problem is once people get an idea of something in their heads, no matter if it's wrong or right, they tend to become a bulldog with a bone. Nothing will tempt them to change their carved-in-stone ideas, even if the facts were not right to begin with. Emotionally charged people don't care about facts, they become like vampires, feeding off the chaos and desperately searching for more. They will do anything to keep that high going, even if it means coming up with "creative facts" or downright lies to fan the flames.

That's the real danger. An emotionally charged event like this affects people and their beliefs right down to their core. Once the real violence begins, it's going to be like a runaway train. When all is said and done, too many lives will be forever changed, or lost forever, and to what? Stupidity. This scares me to the point of thinking I'd better get ready to defend my life if it comes down to it. I'm going to do what millions of people are no doubt doing in response to this whole mess... PRAY. I'm going to pray for cooler heads to prevail... for anger on all sides to be calmed by patience... for community leaders to  be inspired by wisdom... for love to become the meditation of the day... and for God to have mercy on us all.

Crying
These people should be tracked and arrested for Hate Crimes and Threats of Doing Bodily Harm.
(08-16-2017, 02:05 AM)Armonica_Templar Wrote: It has started..

This here.. here's the thing. Many times I thought this is it, it has begun, this will cause everything in this nation to blow up, then it calms down for a while, so no, that wasn't it.

In a sense, it began many years ago, while people were sleeping. The left has a terrifying amount of power now. They can silence political speech of any type if they disagree with it, the media always spins the story in favor of the left, even if they have to blatantly lie, politicians create false narratives to please the left, your children can no longer expect fair treatment in schools and universities across the nation if they do not conform to the left wing ideology, professors now give F's for work done using source material that doesn't line up with their ideology and come to the proper ideological conclusion. Our sons are told they are evil because they are male in halls of "education". We loose more and more freedom daily in the halls of "justice", now little more than places to create law that we didn't get to vote on, or for, rather than places to decide the constitutionality of them.

What nation that is not a communist nation refuses employment and education to those who don't toe the approved party line? In what nation, that is not a communist nation, does a person have to fear assault, property damage and loss of employment simply for supporting the political candidate of their choice? Simply for wanting to hear them speak?

We lost the largest of battles already.. it's more than just begun, it has proceeded til we are at disadvantage..

But not yet on the blowing up. More people have yet to wake up and realize we are in the middle of a war, and we are losing.

Just my opinion.
(08-16-2017, 02:47 AM)Spirit Scribe Wrote: About misidentification, the problem is once people get an idea of something in their heads, no matter if it's wrong or right, they tend to become a bulldog with a bone. Nothing will tempt them to change their carved-in-stone ideas, even if the facts were not right to begin with. Emotionally charged people don't care about facts, they become like vampires, feeding off the chaos and desperately searching for more. They will do anything to keep that high going, even if it means coming up with "creative facts" or downright lies to fan the flames.

That's the real danger. An emotionally charged event like this affects people and their beliefs right down to their core. Once the real violence begins, it's going to be like a runaway train. When all is said and done, too many lives will be forever changed, or lost forever, and to what? Stupidity. This scares me to the point of thinking I'd better get ready to defend my life if it comes down to it. I'm going to do what millions of people are no doubt doing in response to this whole mess... PRAY. I'm going to pray for cooler heads to prevail... for anger on all sides to be calmed by patience... for community leaders to  be inspired by wisdom... for love to become the meditation of the day... and for God to have mercy on us all.

Crying

I do pray with you..