Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Scotland] Small earthquake felt across Highlands.
So it wasn't Gordi storming about the heather looking for a haggis, it was...

Small earthquake felt across Highlands.

'The biggest earthquake to hit the Highlands in three decades has been widely felt across the region.

The British Geological Survey (BGS), which recorded it at about 15:45, said it had a magnitude of 3.8
and was centred on Moidart.
A smaller quake, which registered 1.5 on the Richter scale, was centred on Kingussie.

It was the biggest such tremor to be felt in the region since a 4.1 magnitude earthquake in Oban in 1986.
More recently there was a magnitude 3.5 earthquake in Glenuig in January 2011 and one measuring 3.6
in Dumfries, on Boxing Day 2006.

On the latest event, the BGS stated: "This earthquake was felt widely across the west of Scotland."
People in the area shared their experience of the rumble on Twitter. One wrote: "Think I just experienced a
minor #earthquake, here on Ardnamurchan. West coast #Scotland. Anyone else feel it, my kitchen rumbled."

Another said: "Just experienced 2 earthquake tremors here in Scotland. Never felt anything like that, like
the ground beneath us was exploding. Terrifying!"
Small earthquakes are relatively common but most go unnoticed.

The largest one known to have hit the UK had a magnitude of 6.1 on 7 June 1931 in the North Sea while the
biggest recorded in Scotland was a magnitude 5.2 event in Argyll in 1880.

A mapping project recently said there had been more than 4,000 quakes to hit Scotland over the past
50 years...'
SOURCE:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2239]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
It seems that earthquakes are becoming more of a thing lately in places that don't always experience them.
We had a 3. something here in my state yesterday, and another smaller one a couple of days before that. We hardly ever have them here.
What's scary is the fact that we are close to the New Madrid, so that freaks me out a tad.   tinyhuh
That is interesting and where's our Big Scottish Rogue?
Maybe I should send the First Mate (BIAD) down to Wake Him Up!  tinylaughing
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-05-2017, 03:21 PM)guohua Wrote: That is interesting and where's our Big Scottish Rogue?
Maybe I should send the First Mate (BIAD) down to Wake Him Up!  tinylaughing

Well.... co-incidentally, I was up in the Highlands!
But waaay East of there, up past Inverness.
(Attending Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival, with my tickets being a surprise birthday present from my pals!)

LINK to Festival Site

I didn't have internet access when I was leaving as my power was off (getting new heating system installed).

Am back home now, festival was amazing, new heating seems to be working.

All is well in the land of Gordi. (Apart from my head...)

minusculebeercheers
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]