Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
US set for 'great' eclipse.
US set for 'great' eclipse.

'North America is preparing for a once-in-a-century total solar eclipse which will plunge large
parts of the United States into darkness. Parts of 14 states will witness the solar spectacle,
which is being described as the Great American Eclipse...'

'Where is it and when?
Monday 21 August 2017. It starts at 9.05am local time on the Pacific coast (5.05pm UK) and
finishes at 4.09pm local time on the east coast (9.09pm UK).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2248]
The total eclipse will be visible from 14 states.

Its path completely crosses the continental United States - from Oregon in the west to South
Carolina in the east. A 70-mile-wide strip will experience total darkness in the middle of the day,
while a partial eclipse will be visible from much of North America and from parts of Europe
-including, briefly, the UK.

The area around Carbondale, Illinois, will experience the longest period of darkness -2 minutes
41.6 seconds. But the most perfect eclipse will be visible in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, where the Sun,
Moon and Earth will be in greatest alignment.

States including Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska and Tennessee will all experience 'totality' -where the
moon fully covers the Sun...'
SOURCE:

The Great American Eclipse:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
It completely misses Arizona,,,,, we could us an hour or so of no direct sunshine.  tinycool
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
It goes almost directly over my head, but not quite. I'm sure it will still be a sight to see! 

Everyone... remember to have those phones and cameras charged up so they don't go dead during your recording events. tinybiggrin

Here is a video that shows the exact path as it travels over the states. Click on the picture below to start the video.

I booked a trip to Yellowstone to see this over the Rockies. I thought it would be the trip of a lifetime! Then the house happened and I had to cancel it, just wasn't in the cards for my wallet this year and I was borderline depressed about it....

My boss goes out west once a year and he provided some insight that helped cheer me up: it probably would've been at trip from hell. There isn't a single hotel room left vacant within 5 hours or Yellowstone. Hell, I booked one in January and the closest I could get was Big Sky resort in Montana (3+ hours away). Place near Jackson Hole are expecting bumper to bumper traffic and about 80% of people unable to be directly in totality unless they are there days before. Wyoming is expected to double in size for the eclipse and Yellowstone will most likely see it's highest attendance EVER during the days leading up to the Eclipse. 

International bookings skyrocketed this time last year (anticipating the eclipse) and it's just going to be a ZOO. So while I'm still bummed out that we couldn't go, I would much rather experience Yellowstone and the mountains when there isn't a million other people having the same idea on the same days.
(08-06-2017, 06:07 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: I booked a trip to Yellowstone to see this over the Rockies. I thought it would be the trip of a lifetime! Then the house happened and I had to cancel it, just wasn't in the cards for my wallet this year and I was borderline depressed about it....

My boss goes out west once a year and he provided some insight that helped cheer me up: it probably would've been at trip from hell. There isn't a single hotel room left vacant within 5 hours or Yellowstone. Hell, I booked one in January and the closest I could get was Big Sky resort in Montana (3+ hours away). Place near Jackson Hole are expecting bumper to bumper traffic and about 80% of people unable to be directly in totality unless they are there days before. Wyoming is expected to double in size for the eclipse and Yellowstone will most likely see it's highest attendance EVER during the days leading up to the Eclipse. 

International bookings skyrocketed this time last year (anticipating the eclipse) and it's just going to be a ZOO. So while I'm still bummed out that we couldn't go, I would much rather experience Yellowstone and the mountains when there isn't a million other people having the same idea on the same days.
You're not going to miss much,,,, That's just my opinion,,,,,, you want an eclipse,,,,, put your Sunglasses and then Put Thumb Over The Sun! smallroflmao 

Yes Yellowstone is a Beautiful Place though, 
[Image: DSC_0181.jpg] 

[Image: DSC_0395.jpg]

russian image hosting site
Here is another link with some good tips for capturing the eclipse.  Source Link

I've never heard of Shadow Snakes before. That would be interesting to see, but we won't see those here; too many mountains.
Relating to the Eclipse, I have a question. It has to do with our new boss at work... She has been hired, but her first day will be the day of the Eclipse... Any ideas on what that kind of situation means? Aren't eclipses supposed to be harbingers of sorrow (to borrow a line from Metallica - another four-man band Spirit Scribe loves)? It's kind of interesting how this all will turn out...

tinysurprised
In all Honesty, in Chinese Folklore, she should take that day off, not good luck for her.