Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just How Safe Are Carnival Rides?
Here is another story in the news where one was killed and several others injured when a ride malfunctioned at Columbus, OH.
I've seen several more stories lately, although I don't have the articles to link to.

This is why I don't get on these things anymore; they don't make them like they used to.

[Image: c10051ba39c6a18fb266d2defaac682d]

Oh, my gosh! Imagine being on that when suddenly the seat flies off and you go frying through the air, knowing you are probably going to be meeting your death?!   mediumnotlooking

Quote:At least one man has died and seven others were injured when an amusement ride at the Ohio State Fair malfunctioned Wednesday evening on the fair's opening day.
Battalion Chief Steve Martin, a spokesman for the Columbus Fire Division, said some of the victims were thrown from the Fire Ball ride during the incident at approximately 7:20 p.m.
Gov. John Kasich said in a statement he has "ordered a full investigation into this incident and have ordered that all fair rides be shut down until additional safety inspections can be completed."
One man was thrown high into the air and landed on the ground about 50 feet from the ride, Martin said. He was killed on impact.

Source

I saw a discussion on FB from a person who was on the ride when this happened. She said the man working the ride had put her in that seat, but couldn't get the bar to lock, so he moved her to the other side. He said no one should be put in that seat.  When he went on break, another man came, but did put people in the seat.. the one that ended up killing the man.
If he was told not to do that, there could be charges brought up against him personally, not to mention the carnival owners.

According to the person making the FB post, it was an 18 yr. old female who died.

If I ever do ride another carnival ride, I'll stick to the horse merry-go-round. tinybiggrin
I know, those rides scare me.
I wish Senona was here, I bet she could tell us about the safety of those rides.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I recall a time long ago when my family and I visited Knotts Berry Farm near Los Angeles and
after enjoying the many sights, agreed to go on a similar -but milder, ride with my young son.

It was terrible! Being an adult in a seat for a smaller person, I had to juggle with several concepts
and oddly enough, in this order.
One: Making sure I didn't pass on to my son that I was stifling a panic of falling out.
Two: Make sure my wife who was watching, didn't observe my difficulties in staying on the
rotating and undulating ride. Her sense of humour is something that brings me low when it's at
my expense!
Three: Attempting not to dash my bod on the ground below.

Thank heavens for BIAD's strong grip.

Correction courtesy of Anal BIAD: It was the State Fair in Montana.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
My uncle used to work on these roadside carnivals that set up all over the country. Mind you, this was years ago, and things have most likely changed... this was back in the days before inspections and whatnot. Most of his job was setting up and tearing down rides. He told us never to ride the ferris wheel, because it was all held together with little wooden pegs. He said there wasn't enough money in the world to get him to ride one of those things.
(07-28-2017, 04:57 AM)Spirit Scribe Wrote: My uncle used to work on these roadside carnivals that set up all over the country. Mind you, this was years ago, and things have most likely changed... this was back in the days before inspections and whatnot. Most of his job was setting up and tearing down rides. He told us never to ride the ferris wheel, because it was all held together with little wooden pegs. He said there wasn't enough money in the world to get him to ride one of those things.

I used to ride the ferris wheel every time I went to the county fair back in my younger days.   :mediumomg:
Here we have yet another ride that could have ended up a lot worse.  Thank goodness there were no fatalities in this one. Of course, this guy was only 19, so he had a strong heart. I think anyone a wee bit older would have died from a heart attack; I think I would have. tinyhuh

Quote:Three carnival goers were left stranded in the air after a ride malfunctioned at the Ventura County Fair in California on Wednesday.
When a bungee cord ride involving a crane stopped working, one rider became stuck in the air and was left dangling for nearly 30 minutes until firefighters arrived on the scene. Two other men, Eddie Rodriguez, 25, and an unidentified fair worker, remained stuck in the steel cage above the crane for more than an hour as crews worked to get them down safely.
Roger Rodriguez, 19, was seen on video hanging by his ankles while firefighters extended a ladder to slowly bring him down to safety.

Rodriguez had no reported injuries or medical distress after he was brought down, fire department officials said.
Witnesses captured the incredible moment in a video later posted to Facebook, including Rodriguez's own account of the rescue.
"I remember I kept looking and could see the ladder coming towards me," Rodriguez said. "They must have loosened me up. I lied down on the ladder and the firefighter tried to unhook me and he let me catch my breath, wake me up a little bit, because I was on the verge of passing out. He told me to crawl down the ladder slowly."

Firefighters brought in ropes and harnesses and lowered the two people stranded in the ride's cage one at a time onto an inflatable landing pad.
Officials said they are investigating the cause of the bungee ride malfunction.

Source

I'm telling you, I see articles like this every summer; several of them.  Things just aren't made like they used to be, or, they are now so old that the parts are worn out.  It's not safe to go on thrill rides any longer. I know I won't be.  tinysurprised