Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Earthquake and Volcano Live Spectrographs
A member some of you might recognize, TrueAmerican, from that 'other site' has made a live stream video where we can see in real time if an earthquake is taking place. If you see anything red or orange, it isn't good.   tinyshocked
I thought some or you here might like to bookmark this. 
Montana had a 5.8 yesterday, but I never saw anything about it in the news.  Thanks to TA, he kept the people informed in that area.

Click on his YT video and give him a "like" for putting this up for the public.   tinybiggrin

ETA: Check here daily to see the new video of the live stream, which has to be changed every so often: TA Stream Index

https://youtu.be/BD2ABTAO0wQ

Quote:Live video stream of select seismograph stations covering much of the Ring of Fire and select volcanoes, in real time, as long as this is live and you move the bar all the way to the right. This costs money to maintain and keep up. Therefore if you like this, and want me to keep it up, please consider donating whatever you can via PayPal to studioman22@yahoo.com. Thank you.

If I receive enough donations, I may take this to a whole new level with multiple streams covering more areas in much more detail. I may even build dedicated computers for the task. Most donations will be held and not used for anything but upgrading and improving this unique service. I may use donated funds to increase my upload speed and improve my internet service. But again, that costs money. So help if you can please! Thanks!

You will see all kinds of things on these seismometers, and much of it will not be earthquakes. There may be noise, some stations may not work, and all other sorts of things. These are spectrographs and not waveforms.

Alaska volcanoes currently set to just monitor Bogoslof and Cleveland volcanoes.
I read about the 5.8 quake in Montana at the Drudge Report yesterday.
It was an unusual quake they said.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-08-2017, 02:02 AM)guohua Wrote: I read about the 5.8 quake in Montana at the Drudge Report yesterday.
It was an unusual quake they said.

I'm going to have to start going there for my news, it appears.   minusculethumbsup
Here is an article I came across on Twitter about the Montana earthquake:  Montana Earthquake Is Felt For Hundreds Of Miles Early Thursday Facebook Twitter Google+ Email July 6, 20177:13 AM ET

Quote:An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.8 startled many people out of their sleep in western Montana early Thursday. The shallow quake was felt for hundreds of miles from its epicenter southeast of Lincoln, including in parts of neighboring states and in Canada.

"We have no reports of injuries due to the earthquake at this time," member station Montana Public Radio reports. "Shockwaves are still being felt with decreasing intensity in parts of western Montana."

Thursday's earthquake was the strongest to hit western Montana in years; it was slightly stronger than a 5.6 magnitude quake that hit a nearby area in July 2005, the U.S. Geological Survey says.

Some alarmed residents said via Twitter that they woke to fears that an intruder was in their house; others said their dogs had seemed to sense the oncoming quake — and jumped on their owners to seek safety.

Quote:The dog knew it was coming. He started barking and jumped off the bed. Then the house started shaking.
— They call me AJ (@apettibone) July 6, 2017

"It was strong enough to wake people up across a wide area, and was felt along a line more than 500 miles long, from Billings to Spokane, Wash.," Montana Public Radio's Eric Whitney reports for our Newscast unit.

Residents reported waking to the sound of pans clattering around and the feeling of their houses being shaken.
"Woke me and my parakeet up," Terry MacPheat wrote on the MTPR Facebook posting about the quake, adding, "bed was shaking like something from an Exorcist movie!"

Quote:And let me just say a huge thanks to @Twitter for existing so I could confirm I wasn't crazy when I felt that damn #earthquake #Montana
— Em H (@emgracer4) July 6, 2017

Another MTPR listener, David Buckingham, reported, "I was awake here in Bozeman, sitting at my desk, when it happened; it felt like I was on a boat in choppy seas, and all the birds in my neighborhood simultaneously made a ruckus and flew away."

Aaron Birkholz, who runs a roadside coffee stand — where a sign was touting "huckleberry shakes" Thursday — also compared the experience to being on a boat, telling MTPR's Whitney that it had given him motion sickness.

"This one was different, it wasn't a real quick shake," Birkholz said of the earthquake.

Read more from the source link above.
Here is a new fresh live stream that TrueAmerican put up.  I don't know... maybe he has to put up a new fresh screen every so often, so just go to the link under the video and see if/when a new one is up.  The places are easier to read on this one too when you put it on full screen. minusculethumbsup2

ETA: Okay, just came across this. He said to check here on this site first to see which stream is live. I just added this link to the OP as well: LINK