Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could Removing Global Air Pollution Worsen Climate Change?
 [Image: 8d43c16eec94422baf0f14cbdc327b8c.png]

Oh this it too funny, the irony in the title alone.

Imagine the environmentalist do not want to hear this explanation, but here goes....

Quote: Air pollution is a killer, and it’s getting worse. According to a new study of over 3,000 cities around the world conducted by the World Health Organization, the amount of microscopic particle pollution increased 8 percent between 2008 and 2013. The findings were especially bad in low- and middle-income regions, where some 98 percent of cities don’t meet the WHO guidelines on air quality. In wealthy parts of the world, that figure is 56 percent.

Recent research shows that tiny particles of sulfur and nitrogen oxides, black carbon, and other pollutants contribute to the deaths of over three million people each year around the world. The particles, which get more hazardous the smaller they are, can lodge deep in the lungs or pass into the bloodstream, contributing to asthma, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. A recent study in Nature suggested that under a business-as-usual scenario, the global health burden of this kind of air pollution could double by 2050.

[Image: 81d1df36a3a743a38a100e614e5c4ad3.png]

Quote:But some of those toxic particles have a kind of silver lining: they help cool the planet. That’s particularly true of the sulfur compounds that are commonly emitted from coal-fired power plants. They reflect sunlight back out into space, preventing it from reaching Earth’s surface. Black carbon’s effect is more complex: while the soot particles provide a bit of shade, they also absorb sunlight, heating up the atmosphere at altitudes between two and six kilometers above sea level. Unfortunately, that’s where many of the world’s continental glaciers reside, and black carbon can increase the rate at which they melt.

Still, on aggregate the cooling effect of these particles appears to be pretty large. A 2009 study estimated that perhaps 47 percent of greenhouse-gas-related warming was being masked by huge clouds of particles smaller than a micron in diameter.

That shouldn’t make anyone wonder whether reducing air pollution is worth it—globally, it ranks as a bigger killer than malaria or HIV/AIDS. But as we do take steps to clear the air, we need to be aware that the side effects are likely to be significant. 

Global Air Pollution Is Getting Worse, but Removing It Could Worsen Climate Change

Interesting I must say

On the one hand, we all know air pollution is bad for our health.
Yet according to the article, the upside to it, is it helps cool the earth.

Oh what a conundrum that is. 
Both good and bad all rolled into one.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Its a damned if you do and a damned if you don't kinda situation huh! 

I can barely keep up with all this though, they change their minds constantly! Lol
(05-26-2016, 03:20 AM)perfectinsanity Wrote: Its a damned if you do and a damned if you don't kinda situation huh! 

I can barely keep up with all this though, they change their minds constantly! Lol

I know

When I first read the title, I know I stared at it thinking WTH?
:huh:

But once they explained it, I was like okay.....sure, it kinda makes sense 

However you know there will be people in an uproar over this claim tho, don't you imagine?

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Is it just me or is it getting harder and harder to keep up with all of that stuff?

Some claim the planet is heating up, some don't. Some claim that all the planets in our solar system are heating up, some say no.

Now pollution may be good to cool it off?

:goingcrazy: 

Skin cancer has never been as high as it's now...some say. Others say no... *scratches head

I got into a discussion today with a woman that covers herself (almost bathes herself) with sunscreen. She freaked when I told her that I never put any. Do I tan behind my windshield all day long on the road? You bet.

But as I told her, one thing I know, my parents, my grand-parents couldn't care less about sunscreen and none of them died of skin cancer. Most of them worked outdoors morning to night, every single day. BTW...When have people started to freak out about UV indexes going through the roof? 10 years or so?

I'm leaning more towards a marketing ploy to sell you sunscreen and this and that...oh the solar rays are harmful...Yes, some people do get skin cancer. Does everyone? No. But everyone should bathe in sun lotion. Yep. Okay.

If I ever get skin cancer, well....I'm stubborn. I'll blame it on that : )
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Speaking of  sunscreen, now many doctors are speaking out because it prevents them from getting natural Vitamin D from the sun.

I too work outdoors and do not use that crap.
Should I? Maybe
But I never have, never will

Yes, bottom line in all if this, is money.

Climate change as a whole is going to cost the public.
And the only thing it will effect will be our wallets
All the while, nothing will change the climate from evolving.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Quote:Climate change as a whole is going to cost the public.
And the only thing it will effect will be our wallets
All the while, nothing will change the climate from evolving.

Words of the Wise.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~