Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Ghostly Encounter in the House by the River
When I was around 20 years old I took a job as a caregiver for a woman who was in her late eighties; the family needed someone to stay with her on weekends, so I applied, and I was hired.

The old lady lived in a very secluded area in the woods off the main state highway, and next to a river. The house was a very large white two-story with a wrap-around porch, large yard, and the river flowing on the other side of the gravel driveway. The serenity offered by the flowing waters could be heard from the porch while sitting in a wicker rocker, or inviting porch swing. It looked very similar to this picture, except the front yard was huge, and the outside of the house was in better shape. Everything else about this picture reminds me of the setting so much! I was excited to get to work at such a peaceful place.

[Image: a59e1ae3615cc56788c1ff48d462b99f8b1d393f_1_500x500.jpg]

The house was probably built in the late 1880s. It had a large living room with a very large kitchen off to the right which had an entry door
at one end of the living room. The inside wasn't as nice as the outside. It was furnished in a style from the 1940s, and very dark.... VERY dark. Straight ahead on the other end of the living room were steps that led up to the bedrooms where I would share a separate bed in her room.

My first day there I felt like something was "off"; the atmosphere felt heavy, and I felt uneasy. That night before bedtime as we sat in the living room, I thought I heard pots and pans being moved around in the kitchen, like someone was cooking, yet I knew there were only the two of us there. I looked at her to see if she heard it, but apparently she didn't. I tried to brush it off and tell myself maybe it was mice in the cupboards; I knew it wasn't but I didn't want to freak myself out!

When she was ready to go to bed I helped her with her nightgown and led her up the stairs and to her bed. She went to sleep immediately, but I had such an uneasy feeling I could only lie there. I knew we weren't alone... I felt the presence of some invisible energy with us.
After lying there, maybe ten minutes, I heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs! I thought my heart would stop! [Image: emoticon-surprised.png]

She was asleep and I didn't want to wake her, so I just closed my eyes and pulled the covers over my head. I heard the footsteps come into the room, walk to the side of my bed and stop. I felt it standing there staring at me for what felt like an eternity!
Then it walked over to the woman's bed; I never heard it leave.

I fell asleep at some point, but when I woke up I called the woman's daughter and told her I was sorry, but I couldn't stay any longer.
I made up some excuse... any excuse! I don't remember what I told the lady, but I didn't want to tell her I was leaving because she had a ghost in the house.

After cooking breakfast and doing the dishes, her daughter arrived and I was outta there!

I still remember the old house and my experience inside every time I drive past the turnoff from the main highway. What a frightening experience that was! 

Do any of you have a scary story to share?
With you being 20 yo when that happened, I bet it did freak you out a bit
I know it would me at that age.

However now, being a little older and more in the know about the 'unexplained' and other worldly, I'd be nervous yet at the same time curious. Ha

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Smile 
(05-25-2016, 01:45 AM)senona Wrote: With you being 20 yo when that happened, I bet it did freak you out a bit
I know it would me at that age.

However now, being a little older and more in the know about the 'unexplained' and other worldly, I'd be nervous yet at the same time curious. Ha

Yes, I've become numb to the paranormal now, after experiencing so much of it. :unsure:
I gots lots of stories about stuff in that vein, but I'll only tell one here for the moment. The house I was raised in had  a "walker" spook like that. All of us in the family probably heard it at one time or another, and some of us more than once. I slept upstairs, with open rafters over my head (no ceiling, just rafters and a tin roof), and the "attic" section through a doorway in my room. I've heard it more than once, always coming out of the attic, through my room and past my bed, down the stairs and into the living room, where I usually heard it open the wood stove and check the fire, then close it and walk through into the kitchen, where the walking ended. I would have though maybe just the house "settling" if i hadn't heard the wood stove actually opening. The sound was pretty clear, since it always walked through my room and past my bed, and I had a vent in my floor straight through to the living room directly beneath me, to allow the heat to rise from the stove into my room in the winter time. I could hear it pretty clearly when it was down stairs, through that vent.

Saw what might have been it once, looking like a fog drifting into my room out of the attic. No human shape really, just looked like a patch of fog drifting.

My dad heard it one day when he was there by himself. he heard it come down from my room and into the living room, said he could clearly hear individual footsteps on the stairs. He thought it was me, and that I'd wandered back home unannounced as i was prone to do, so he got up to talk to me, but there was no one there. When he didn't find me, he got his pistol and cleared the house, thinking it was possibly an intruder, but there was no one there but him, and the door and windows were still all locked. My great-aunt's husband had built the house, and he died sleeping in the living room directly under my bedroom. We all jokingly called it "Uncle Cleve", but no way of telling what or who it really was.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Quote:My great-aunt's husband had built the house, and he died sleeping in the living room directly under my bedroom. We all jokingly called it "Uncle Cleve", but no way of telling what or who it really was.

I bet it was him, especially since he built the house; he probably felt an attachment to it. 

That is one thing that worries me about this house I live in now:  My husband built it and did a fantastic job.  He was very proud of his handy work once it was finished... so much so, I'm afraid he won't leave after he passes on. 

I'd hate to take a smudge stick to my own husband (if I out-live him). :biggrin:
I heard this story from my mother, so while it's second hand, I never knew her to make anything up or lie about stuff. When she was little, maybe 6 or 7, she and her mother & step father had to rent a tiny little four-room house in West Virginia. It was made in such a way that you walked into the living room and could go forward to the kitchen, turn left and make a circle through both the bedrooms and end back up in the living room.

The "walker" in this house was a large dog. The metal bed frame she slept on was quite heavy, and several times throughout the night she would hear this dog come walking into her room, toenails clicking on the bare floor, and it would crawl under her bed. She could feel her bed scoot and hear the hair scraping as it moved. It would lay there for a while and crawl back out, and walk from room to room in the dark. Oh, did I mention that all the doors to the rooms would be closed while this was going on?

Other times she said it sounded like men were "pitching wood" in the attic area, like moving stacks of lumber. the door from her bedroom to her mother & step father's room was usually locked, but yet that door would swing open and shut all night. She also said some mornings she would wake up outside on the front porch under her grandmother's rocker, even the house was locked up at night.

The background story on this house was that no one stayed in it for long because it was rumored to be haunted, but they ended up in it for several months. Oh one more thing... she said one night her step father's brother was visiting and they all heard something moving around on the back porch. Her step father and his brother went to check it out, guns in hand, one going one way around the house and the other going the other direction so they could meet in the back. A large metal wash tub was laying on the porch (it had been hanging on the wall). When it started moving on its own, they figured it was a critter under it so they took a broom handle and flipped it over to let it out. Nothing was there.

They put the wash tub back on the wall and went inside. They heard it again a while later, so they looked again - nothing under it. They hung it up again, and the third time they heard it they both said it could just stay there!
(07-21-2017, 04:59 AM)Spirit Scribe Wrote: I heard this story from my mother, so while it's second hand, I never knew her to make anything up or lie about stuff. When she was little, maybe 6 or 7, she and her mother & step father had to rent a tiny little four-room house in West Virginia. It was made in such a way that you walked into the living room and could go forward to the kitchen, turn left and make a circle through both the bedrooms and end back up in the living room.

The "walker" in this house was a large dog. The metal bed frame she slept on was quite heavy, and several times throughout the night she would hear this dog come walking into her room, toenails clicking on the bare floor, and it would crawl under her bed. She could feel her bed scoot and hear the hair scraping as it moved. It would lay there for a while and crawl back out, and walk from room to room in the dark. Oh, did I mention that all the doors to the rooms would be closed while this was going on?

Other times she said it sounded like men were "pitching wood" in the attic area, like moving stacks of lumber. the door from her bedroom to her mother & step father's room was usually locked, but yet that door would swing open and shut all night. She also said some mornings she would wake up outside on the front porch under her grandmother's rocker, even the house was locked up at night.

The background story on this house was that no one stayed in it for long because it was rumored to be haunted, but they ended up in it for several months. Oh one more thing... she said one night her step father's brother was visiting and they all heard something moving around on the back porch. Her step father and his brother went to check it out, guns in hand, one going one way around the house and the other going the other direction so they could meet in the back. A large metal wash tub was laying on the porch (it had been hanging on the wall). When it started moving on its own, they figured it was a critter under it so they took a broom handle and flipped it over to let it out. Nothing was there.

They put the wash tub back on the wall and went inside. They heard it again a while later, so they looked again - nothing under it. They hung it up again, and the third time they heard it they both said it could just stay there!
Cool!!!
I like the part about the wash tub, may have been that dog again.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
@"Spirit Scribe", I remember you telling that story on one of the other boards.  Could have been HH.  I always love your stories because they are right up there with my own.  Nice to have a friend who understands these things are real.

Thanks for sharing it to my thread here on RN.   minusculeclap
A few years ago, I may have read these accounts and seen them as just more examples of the weird world we
live in and how sometimes, our imagination may get the better of us or how we genuinely struggle to understand
that the realities that our world exists in.

But recently, I've been reading about how the study of quantum theory is cautiously pointing towards the idea that
our universe may only be one among billions-upon-billions of others that occupy the same space as our own.

It's accepted at this point nothing can travel faster than light and it's true... sort of.
What the average person doesn't appreciate is that space travels faster!
There are others that are proposed, such as entangled electron communication and 'spooky action', but it hints at
the idea that we don't really know what we are or where we are.

However, for the purposes of this discussion, if we assume that there are many other universes out there -multiverses,
as they call them, then could it be that what many here have observed as strange paranormal activity is nothing
more than some type of interaction with these multiverses?

Theorists have also discussed that if these places exist, there's no guarantee that their laws of physics will be
the same as ours, so with that in mind, anything is possible when placed against our perception of what we call
'reality'

Then we could seriously look at the idea of what our role in all this involves. Are we just a tiny piece in one box
of a particular jigsaw...? or does our personal, individual design mean that we can be applied to other complex
situations and we can assist to fit into a picture that we've never even imagined?
Is this the place where faith in oneself as being more than mere physical meets the cold rational surfaces of
science?

Again, as we learn more about what is out there and in ourselves, man-made laws could fall away and the notion
that when -and if, these universes sometimes 'rub' or touch our own, who can say what effects are played out in
our own self-constructed awareness of this reality.

So now you know why we drink!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.