Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AHCA Exemptions for Members of Congress?
I just about fell out of my chair when I read this!  Seriously?  Do we actually have people in Washington now that are using their brain?
I've been saying this for years and years!!  smallgreenbananadancer 

[Image: better%20floor%20speech.PNG?itok=VXkz2jKx]

Quote:House Unanimously Passes McSally Bill Striking AHCA Exemptions for Members of Congress

May 4, 2017
Press Release
WASHINGTON, DC—The House of Representatives today unanimously passed U.S. Representative Martha McSally’s legislation to prevent Members of Congress and their staff from being exempt from the State waiver provisions of the American Health Care Act (AHCA) as amended.

“Any law we pass that applies to our constituents must apply equally to Members of Congress as well. Anything short of that is hypocrisy. Congress must abide by the laws it passes and should be treated no differently than other hardworking Americans,” said Rep. McSally. “My measure eliminates double standards by preventing Members of Congress from exempting themselves from American Health Care Act.”

Due to Senate procedural rules within the Budget Reconciliation process, the MacArthur Amendment to the American Health Care Act would exempt Members of Congress and their staff. Rep. McSally’s legislation, H.R. 2192, is a standalone two-page bill that would repeal this exemption for Members of Congress should the American Health Care Act become law. The measure passed the House by a vote of 429-0.
To read the full bill text CLICK HERE.

(Highlights by me)