Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wee Dougie's Birdbox has a New Resident!
We live in Central Scotland not too far from a Windfarm, which has countryside Rangers on-site who quite often organise interesting and educational events for the kids to enjoy.

Last year, we attended their "Birdbox making" event where they supplied (free of charge) wooden Birdbox kits that the kids could build themselves and take home!

Our youngest (Dougie - then aged 6) wanted his box put up on the garden fence at the side of our back garden... I thought that it was probably too near the house to attract a tenant, but....

[Image: BirdBox1.jpg]

A pair of Bluetits have begun moving in!!

A 2nd pair have been "checking out" my other son's birdbox, but I haven't seen them nesting... yet!

It's a fun project that practically anyone can do, and it helps to provide a safe home for wildlife that might otherwise struggle.

Not to mention... the look on wee Dougie's face when he realised that they had chosen the box that HE built for their new home!!

G
Awesome!

It doesn't seem to matter how close to the house a birdhouse is.  My friend put one on her porch post just for decoration, but to her surprise, she went out one day to discover two small wrens had made it their home. 

It's fun to watch wildlife so close by.   minusculethumbsup2
(04-20-2017, 03:33 PM)gordi Wrote: ...Not to mention... the look on wee Dougie's face when he realised that they had chosen the box that HE built for their new home!!

G

Tell Dougie I'm jealous!

I built two with fancy tiled roofs, a perch near the hole and looked with pride at
the style of them. Even with a 'To Rent' sign outside of them, the birds don't seem
to want to live in them.

Jealous... but happy  for the lad.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Oops ..... was think bluetits was what scots lasses end up with going topless in winter ...... 

Is good project ..... an good to see that ya sons birdhouses are getting residents ..... 

Youd be surprised at where all birds decide to build nests at .......  had one house where some chose to nest in the attic .....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

Excellent,,,, Bird's Nest Soup!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(04-20-2017, 05:53 PM)Daitengu Wrote: ...Youd be surprised at where all birds decide to build nests at .......  had one house where some chose to nest in the attic .....

There was a Thrush nest in Glasgow a few years back Dai.... they had nested in a City Centre Traffic light!
Right inside the lip that runs around the Amber Light of the traffic light set!!

Became quite famous and I believe that they had a successful brood!

G

[Image: mistle_thrush_turdus_viscivorus_nesting_...BMJJ57.jpg]