Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scotland could join Canada, but should it?
This one is for two of my favourite Moderators and just a quickie... what does
whisky taste like when mixed with maple syrup?

Scotland could join Canada, but should it?
Your Responses.

'The great Scottish poet Robert Burns once wrote that "the best laid plans of mice
and men go often askew".

Perhaps that explains how, in the midst of Brexit negotiations and as Scotland weighs
a second referendum on independence, an obscure Canadian writer was able to capture
people's imagination with his unconventional proposal: Scotland could quit the UK and
join Canada instead.

On the surface, it sounds improbable. But as Ken McGoogan told the BBC, "in an ideal
world, this might work really well".

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1625]
Edinburgh & Ottowa.

His proposal has since been picked up by media outlets as far as China, and he says he's
"amazed and gobsmacked" at the level of interest in an idea he initially described as a
"flight of fancy".

Some 1,500 readers wrote to the BBC from across the UK and North America to weigh
in on whether Scotland should become Canada's 11th province. Some found it was the
best idea since chips-and-gravy.

Others thought it would be a total disaster, like when they added the letter "e" to whisky.
Here's what both Scots and Canadians had to say about the possibility of joining forces.
Independence.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1626]
Ken McGoogan thinks Scotland should become Canada's 11th province.

"We don't want to be part of another country, we *are* a country... My dream is that we
gain our independence and keep our sovereignty, no handing it over to the EU." - Scot
Chegg, Ayr, Scotland.

"I think leaving the UK is a bad idea to start with, but leaving the UK to join Canada i
 absurd." - Kyle Richardson, Scotland.

"Canada should really be joining with Scotland, as we are the original Canadians and
they're basically just a big Scotland anyway." - Rory Watt, Scotland.

"Sorry, he's got this in reverse... Canada was part of Scotland 25 million years ago and
its about time we re-united. Being Scottish lets us use all those uniquely Scottish phrases,
wear kilts on a regular basis, and enjoy a quality of life not otherwise possible.

We could even switch to driving on the correct side of the road!" - Martyn Ridley, Canada.

"I don't know how we'll be able to squeeze in 40-50 new MPs into our already crowded
House of Commons. I do welcome the access to the home of my ancestors, and maybe
more choices of whiskys." - Alex Milton, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

"While I can't speak for all Canadians, myself and many, many others would happily welcome
Scotland to join Canada as a full province.
At the very least, we'd have Olympic curling all sewn up." - Kevan Dettelbach, Vancouver,
British Columbia.

"Joining Canada would be fantastic...They already have Nova Scotia, now they'd also have
the original Scotia!!" Colin Groundwater, West Lothian, Scotland.

"At last someone has published what I have long thought. I think it makes good sense culturally,
emotionally and economically.
If they like, the English could ask to become part of the United States." -Alisdair Dale,
Orpington, England.

"If Scotland and Canada were to join, it would be the perfect matrimony...
Not only are Canada and Scotland similar in geographical terms (both being cold and beautiful)
but also the friendly people of Canada would be welcomed with open arms in Scotland."
 - Natalie Rosie, Dunfermline, Scotland.

"To hear this idea put forward really makes a Scots descendent day dream about the possibilities!
...I'll gladly open my door and show them our famous Scottish-Canadian hospitality.
Free of charge, naturally!" - Jason MacGregor, Montreal, Canada.

"At least someone would then listen to me playing the pipes! Besides, I actually like haggis and
the Scottish hills. Some of my fondest memories occurred during visits to Scotland as a child
to the farm my grandfather worked on." - John McCubbin, Toronto, Ontario.

"Geographical boundaries don't matter so much these days.
What the people of a nation value does, identity does, and Scotland, for a very long time ha
 not had the same values as England.
As a province of Canada, Scotland would be treated better than it is now." - B Whickham,
Gloucester, England.

"Canada and Scotland has so many deep and historic ties.
We would be with our people, and peoples of a like mind, we would have the freedoms we
require, yet still be part of a greater community, one that would not throw away or ignore
our wishes." - Symon Kielg, Edinburgh, Scotland...'
SOURCE:

So there you have it.
Could Gordi and his glen-roaming clans live happily side-by-side with Solarius' hockey-playing,
snow-shovelling Canadians...? It's something the PTB are looking into!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heretic ........ heathen ......... infidel ........ commie ...... lower than beast ....... 

NEVER....... NEVER ....... NEVER ....... EVER ....... MIX anything with whisky ........

The horror ...... the horror .......

*goes to plan military takeover of all the distilleries to guard them from the heathens .......  *
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

I saw this elsewhere a few days ago and thought that it was quite funny.

Though I am somewhat baffled as to the suggestion that Scotland should be a "Province of Canada"???  pffft!

My preferred option would be for Scotland to be completely independent (at least for a while) to show the world what we can do, free of the shackles of Westmister or Brussels!
Too many important decisions are being made OUTSIDE of Scotland which dictate what happens INSIDE of Scotland IMHO.

I would however be delighted to welcome new and closer trade agreements with our Canadian cousins.
Whisky for Maple Syrup?

BUT as Dai said.... NEVER the twain shall meet! LOL

G
Last I heard our Northern brothers/sisters were welcoming the Muslims in with open arms, which given some time, means they are going to be taken over by the Muslim Brotherhood at some point in the future.  This means Sharia Law would be forced on the people.

I don't think joining them would be a good idea, considering.
(04-13-2017, 03:18 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Last I heard our Northern brothers/sisters were welcoming the Muslims in with open arms, which given some time, means they are going to be taken over by the Muslim Brotherhood at some point in the future.  This means Sharia Law would be forced on the people.

I don't think joining them would be a good idea, considering.

I Heard Scotland was taking in 20,000 Muslim Refugees,,,,, So,,,,, Canada and Scotland,,, Good Mix.
I Don't think you'll be seeing a Muslim in a Kilt anytime soon,,,, But maybe They Should! 
[Image: 6f5dd13d7c35836f52a1b72bd26a3791.jpg]  smallrofl
@"Daitengu"  I stir My Husbands Whiskey with My Finger,,,,, Is That OK and other times,,,,,,,,,
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuArq_axDe_TLDGn340p5...C-hL24SGM8]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Quote:I Heard Scotland was taking in 20,000 Muslim Refugees,,,,, So,,,,, Canada and Scotland,,, Good Mix.

I Don't think you'll be seeing a Muslim in a Kilt anytime soon,,,, But maybe They Should!

Really?!   tinybighuh I wasn't up to date on that news.   I suppose, in that case, they would make a good mix.   minusculethumbsup2
I think that Scotland is a great country and it's ludicrous to think that it'd be a Province of Canada, insulting for Scots almost.

Now, Scotland should be a free Nation, entitled to its own choices, my opinion.

As Gordi has mentioned, a more deeper trade between Canada & Scotland would be great.

And yes, our Prime Minister in Chief lets the immigrants in by the boatloads, which pisses off a lot of Canadians.

Sharia Law? I strongly believe that a threatened Canadian is one of the most dangerous person in the world. Ain't gonna happen.

And btw, we already have Nova Scotia where we can wear those cool looking kilts to let our nuts hang free.... : )

As a kid, I've seen my father and an uncle dance all night in kilts ( both pretty drunk lol )and it's a memory that always brings back a smile on this old man's face..

tinybiggrin
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~