Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone ever tried Pyrography?
Pyrography is the art of using a Hot pen-like tool to burn designs into wood (and other surfaces).

I had heard of it before, but never tried it.
My wife runs a wee Forest School, teaching kids about outdoor skills & fun! (It's called "Wild Squirrel") so, I was wondering if there was a way that I could use Pyrography as a companion for that...

I dug out my old soldering iron, (which to me looks very similar to a proper pyrography pen) to see if that would work... and it DID!

So, here is my first attempt at doing a Squirrel design on a little 2" cookie of fresh cut wood;

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1578]

It's a bit "rough'n'ready" but not bad for a 1st attempt I think?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried their hand at pyrography? and if so.... any hints/tips or designs to share with us fellow rogues?

BigG

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Good job Gordi.   minusculegoodjob 

I received what we called a wood burning set when I was young.  I never did much with it because I kept burning my fingers. 
I don't remember what ever became of it, but it probably ended up as a yard sale item.

There have been times I wish I had it now.  I'd really like to get in to drawing some designs on wood my hubby brought home and sell it.
People eat that kind of thing up here.  And they pay good money for it!   tinybiggrin

ETA: Thought I'd add some images to my post.

I think these are beautiful:

[Image: 9672d2b19871a07a1f117f10a7319b91.jpg]

[Image: eagle5wb.jpg]    [Image: tiger_and_cub___wood_burning_by_brandojones-d4j9euq.jpg]  [Image: dworden_mill.jpg]  [Image: 871ee8d86114c284c1f166750bc6e1c6.jpg]

There are all kinds of images/ideas HERE.
(04-06-2017, 04:10 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Good job Gordi.   minusculegoodjob 

I received what we called a wood burning set when I was young.  I never did much with it because I kept burning my fingers. 
I don't remember what ever became of it, but it probably ended up as a yard sale item.

There have been times I wish I had it now.  I'd really like to get in to drawing some designs on wood my hubby brought home and sell it.
People eat that kind of thing up here.  And they pay good money for it!   tinybiggrin

That's cool Mystic!
Some of those images ARE amazing!

I just looked on Amazon, and you can get pyrography starter sets REALLY cheap!
I think you should GO FOR IT!!!
G
Go for it @"gordi" it's pretty fun (and relaxing). I used to do it quite it bit while in school. We made state "plaques" that had cities and rivers in them. It can be a fun hobby and (as the pictures from Mystic show) pretty damn amazing!
(04-06-2017, 04:25 PM)gordi Wrote:

That's cool Mystic!

G

I was just sitting here thinking, that would be something I COULD do to bring in some money.  I've been pretty much house bound since my knee started giving me trouble, and I had to quit my job.  Still waiting on my disability hearing.  I have no insurance to get a knee replacement, so here I sit.
Yeah, I think I'd enjoy that.  And, being as I live really close to tourists towns, I could take them and sell them to the arts stores there for some income.   minusculethumbsup2
(04-06-2017, 04:58 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 04:25 PM)gordi Wrote:

That's cool Mystic!

G

I was just sitting here thinking, that would be something I COULD do to bring in some money.  I've been pretty much house bound since my knee started giving me trouble, and I had to quit my job.  Still waiting on my disability hearing.  I have no insurance to get a knee replacement, so here I sit.
Yeah, I think I'd enjoy that.  And, being as I live really close to tourists towns, I could take them and sell them to the arts stores there for some income.   minusculethumbsup2

I want 15%.
tinycool
(Envious looks because I admire that brilliant skill!)

Well, I suppose this thread deserves a...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1583]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(04-06-2017, 08:50 PM)BIAD Wrote: (Envious looks because I admire that brilliant skill!)

Well, I suppose this thread deserves a...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1583]

Cool as a Polar Bear in Sunglasses snowboarding whilst sipping on a MaiTai!