Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bill O’Reilly Thrives at Fox News, Even as Harassment Settlements Add Up.
Bill O’Reilly Thrives at Fox News, Even as Harassment Settlements Add Up.

'About $13 million has been paid out over the years to address complaints from women about Mr.
O’Reilly’s behavior. He denies the claims have merit.

For nearly two decades, Bill O’Reilly has been Fox News’s top asset, building the No. 1 program in
cable news for a network that has pulled in billions of dollars in revenues for its parent company,
21st Century Fox.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1553]

Behind the scenes, the company has repeatedly stood by Mr. O’Reilly as he faced a series of
allegations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior.

An investigation by The New York Times has found a total of five women who have received payouts
from either Mr. O’Reilly or the company in exchange for agreeing to not pursue litigation or speak
about their accusations against him. The agreements totaled about $13 million.
Two settlements came after the network’s former chairman, Roger Ailes, was dismissed last summer
in the wake of a sexual harassment scandal, when the company said it did not tolerate behavior that
“disrespects women or contributes to an uncomfortable work environment.”

The women who made allegations against Mr. O’Reilly either worked for him or appeared on his show.
They have complained about a wide range of behavior, including verbal abuse, lewd comments,
unwanted advances and phone calls in which it sounded as if Mr. O’Reilly was masturbating,
according to documents and interviews.

The reporting suggests a pattern: As an influential figure in the newsroom, Mr. O’Reilly would create
a bond with some women by offering advice and promising to help them professionally. He then would
pursue sexual relationships with them, causing some to fear that if they rebuffed him, their careers
would stall.

Of the five settlements, two were previously known — one for about $9 million in 2004 with a producer,
and another struck last year with a former on-air personality, which The Times reported on in January.
The Times has learned new details related to those cases.

Representatives for 21st Century Fox would not discuss specific accusations against Mr. O’Reilly,
but in a written statement to The Times the company acknowledged it had addressed the issue with him.

“21st Century Fox takes matters of workplace behavior very seriously,” the statement said.
“Notwithstanding the fact that no current or former Fox News employee ever took advantage of the 21st
Century Fox hotline to raise a concern about Bill O’Reilly, even anonymously, we have looked into these
matters over the last few months and discussed them with Mr. O’Reilly.

While he denies the merits of these claims, Mr. O’Reilly has resolved those he regarded as his personal
responsibility. Mr. O’Reilly is fully committed to supporting our efforts to improve the environment for all
our employees at Fox News.”

According to legal experts, companies occasionally settle disputes that they believe have little merit
because it is less risky than taking the matters to trial, which can be costly and create a string of
embarrassing headlines.

The revelations about Mr. O’Reilly, 67, come after sexual harassment accusations against Mr. Ailes led
to an internal investigation that found women at Fox News faced harassment. Current and former Fox
News employees told The Times that they feared making complaints to network executives or the
human resources department.'
SOURCE:

The amounts of money involved in the media today is frightening.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:The revelations about Mr. O’Reilly, 67, come after sexual harassment accusations against Mr. Ailes led
to an internal investigation that found women at Fox News faced harassment. Current and former Fox
News employees told The Times that they feared making complaints to network executives or the
human resources department.'

This goes on more than people realize in the work place.  Women are threatened with losing their job if they speak up... bullied is the correct term, I believe. 

This was bad where I used to work.  Some women went and filed harassment charges, only to be placed in a lower-level position by the men at the top. So, they were sending out the message, "don't mess with us men, or you'll pay!" 

After that, most women chose to just keep their mouth shut and keep their higher-paying job. It's not fair, but that's how it is, unless you have something on tape, or pictures to prove your point.  Apparently, having other witnesses isn't enough... at least where I worked.  smallnotamused

If Bill O'Reilly is guilty of sexual harassment, he needs to be fired! But, as long as he brings in the viewers, this won't happen. tinyok
(04-04-2017, 04:04 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: If Bill O'Reilly is guilty of sexual harassment, he needs to be fired! But, as long as he brings in the viewers, this won't happen. tinyok

He's part of the 'old guard' and better than us.
After all, look at at the amounts of money we're talking about here, how can a person
sitting at a desk and reading from a teleprompter become a millionaire? What sort of
hours do you have to put in to acquire that sort of moolah?!

It's entirely different world they live in and irony is that they're seen as people with the
ability to report on and for the average person!!
FOX News Is Losing Advertisers Thanks to a Wave of Sexual Harassment Claims

I don't care if he does report for the "right wing" news.  I don't like him; always got a bad vibe from him.
Doesn't matter which side of the political fence he's on, sexual harassment should not be tolerated in ANY work place, and he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it just because of his status at FOX News.

Quote:Bill O'Reilly's alleged misconduct is now costing his employer even more money, and coupled with new allegations of racism, the right-wing media giant is reeling.

At least ten companies have pulled spots from Bill O'Reilly's signature talk show on FOX News following revelations that several women accused him of sexual harassment—and that the host and his company paid them millions to keep quiet about the allegations, as CNN reports.

But those settlements, totaling $13 million and originally reported by the New York Times, are just one component of a larger controversy surrounding the right-wing network. On Monday, former FOX News chairman Roger Ailes—ousted last year amid his own sexual harassment scandal—was hit with a new lawsuit alleging he offered a promotion in exchange for a sexual relationship. And after two black employees filed a racial discrimination suit against the company last week, a third black colleague joined the suit Tuesday, as New York reports.

For their part, advertisers ditching the O'Reilly Factor—among them Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, and BMW of North America—have been releasing statements clarifying they pulled their ads from the show because of the sexual harassment allegations levied against its host.
"Given the importance of women in every aspect of our business, we don't feel this is a good environment in which to advertise our products right now," Mercedes-Benz spokeswoman Donna Boland said in a statement.

Read the Full Story
Explanation: There is no way to sugar coat this and so I will just say it ...

*puts on communist hat* ... "If there was a universal basic income for everybody the women/children would not need to prostitute themselves ever!"

Personal Disclosure: Furthermore ...

*puts on conservative hat* ... "Any person who accepts money, whilst allowing themselves and or other people to be degraded, is a whore!"

THE ABOVE NOTES ARE FACTS!

THE FOLLOWING NOTES ARE MY OPINION!

*puts on controversial hat* ... "Seems to me that there are a lot of whores at foxnews ... including Mr Bill O'Reilly!"

That is all!
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
My issue is with many of these women, as well as the guys who have been accused.

True, they maybe scared of losing their job if they say anything.
Yet at the same time, how in the hell are they helping other women if they remain silent? 

Sure some made complaints in the past but they did not pursue it.

It was only after Gretchen Carlson filed a lawsuit with Ailes (not FOX) once she found out she was being let go.

Carlson (and M.K.) had audio of suggestive behavior by Ailes, yet she never said anything about it until she realized she was gonna lose her job.

Now others are coming forward (both Ailes and O'Reily).

Guess better late than never, but I just have to wonder.

Megan Kelly had very provocative  professional photos of herself when looking for a job way back when.
Now WTH kind of response did she think she was going to get with them???
She knew what was going to happen, she got hired due to her sexuality. 
One advantage women have over men, sad to say.
Show some cleavage and/or legs to a male CEO, more than likely you'll get the job.

But for MK to act all innocent like years later.....pfffft. smh.

SEX sells.
That simple.

That is why many female anchors look like hookers. 
And if they are that ignorant not to realize that, well then I just don't know what to say.
Except to say enjoy your job while it lasts.

As for O'Reilly.....yeah, think it is time for him to hit the road.
Sure he has the highest ratings. (or did)
But only time will tell how all this plays out.

Right now, many hate Trump.
FOX news supported Trump.
Therefore, FOX is in the cross-hairs of their competitors who are Hillary supporters. (CNN/MSNBC)

So they will attack FOX any chance they get, and this is a prime opportunity for them.
Best way to nip it in the bud and put a stop to it, is to let O'Reilly go.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

You know, this could be evidence that's fallout from the slow break-up of what we deem established news outlets.

Recently, Journalists from all areas of the mainstream media have focused on the conduit that is out-performing
the old way of delivering information to the public, namely the internet.

These wealthy corporations who believed that they once ruled the roost and the could direct the preferred narrative,
felt that the advertising companies who splurged vast sums of money on them would show a loyalty that would and
could never decay.
But they never thought about that other place... that cyber-world where the mainstream elite believed pizza-gorging
kids hung out and talked sh*t.

Then Brexit came along and on top of that, the US election where polls, Journalistic commentary and alleged expert
analysis failed miserably to predict that Donald Trump would be picked by those who they fully believed hung onto
their every word.

Ratings were decreasing and just like Rome in it's hey-day, the guys in the boardroom pondered what it could
be. To make matters worse, the same polls that are worshipped like gods among established mediums, told the
executives that their Journalists couldn't be trusted to deliver the truth.
Then where was the news coming fom that enchanted the masses...? Where were the sheep grazing these days?

It's agreed that the majority of television viewers in the United Kingdom range between 42 years-old up to fifty-five,
with variables dictating which end of the spectrum is attracted by particular programming.

In the States...
'...The long-prognosticated death of TV may be happening before our eyes—but at a glacial pace.
A new in-depth report from tracking firm Nielsen shows that TV is still by far America’s favorite entertainment
past-time, but individuals are spending more hours surfing web and viewing streaming services.
A growing number of households are choosing to dump TV altogether...'
SOURCE:

I would like to believe that what is being undertaken at this time isn't a coordinated effort, but due to Mystic's
thread that showed that a handful of corporations actually own all the television networks, I would seriously
doubt that there's a randomness in what certain Journalists are up to in regards of reporting to advertising
companies about Youtube

After informing renowned companies that their adverts are being placed alongside selected  far-right, alleged
hate-speech, anti-semitic videos and footage to assist terrorisim, the Wall Street Journal then announced this
as a scoop.

The Times also did an investigation and even though these companies had no other connection with these
suspect videos except that their adverts were playing over them, the narrative was being set in place that
YouTube could be a minefield that could effect profits.

Companies like Disney and PepsiCo demanded their advertising to be dropped and with this, an automatic
demonetisation of the patrons of such supposedly offensive content ensued. Buzzfeed hammered away with
articles regarding Alex Jones and others, with a crafted scheme to make sure that any financial gains made
from producing anything supposedly 'controversial' would cease.

As Infowars suggests, there's a war on for your mind.
But in reality it's not only that the mainstream media are attempting to shore-up their failing credibility with the
public, they're also assuring that the same public will be forced to graze in the narrative fields they controlled
originally.

Let's hope Rogue Nation never becomes a meadow of the bland, heh?!

Here's a link that references Bill O'Riley and a connection to YouTube's knee-jerk reaction.
SOURCE:
Keep yer' Hands To Yer'self next time!!

Bill O’Reilly Is Forced Out at Fox News.

'Bill O’Reilly’s reign as the top-rated host in cable news came to an abrupt and embarrassing
end on Wednesday as Fox News forced him out after the disclosure of a series of sexual
harassment allegations against him and an internal investigation that turned up even more.

Mr. O’Reilly and his employers came under intense pressure after an article by The New York
Times on April 1 revealed how Fox News and its parent company, 21st Century Fox, had
repeatedly stood by him even as he and the company reached settlements with five women
who had complained about sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by him.
The agreements totaled about $13 million.

Since then, more than 50 advertisers had abandoned his show, and women’s rights groups
had called for him to be fired.

Inside the company, women expressed outrage and questioned whether top executives were
serious about maintaining a culture based on “trust and respect,” as they had promised last
summer when another sexual harassment scandal led to the ouster of Roger E. Ailes as
chairman of Fox News.

That left Mr. O’Reilly’s fate in the hands of the Murdoch family, which controls 21st Century Fox.

In the end, according to two people familiar with the decision, Rupert Murdoch and his sons,
James and Lachlan, made their call after reviewing the results of an internal investigation that
found that multiple women had reported inappropriate behavior by Mr. O’Reilly.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have
agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” 21st Century Fox
said in a statement...'
SOURCE:
Damn ..... glad am not over there ..... those frigid bitches would lynch me .......  no wonder western men turning into girly men .....  they all been castrated by the frigid moneygrubbing bitches ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(04-20-2017, 03:09 PM)BIAD Wrote: Keep yer' Hands To Yer'self next time!!

Bill O’Reilly Is Forced Out at Fox News.

'Bill O’Reilly’s reign as the top-rated host in cable news came to an abrupt and embarrassing
end on Wednesday as Fox News forced him out after the disclosure of a series of sexual
harassment allegations against him and an internal investigation that turned up even more.

Mr. O’Reilly and his employers came under intense pressure after an article by The New York
Times on April 1 revealed how Fox News and its parent company, 21st Century Fox, had
repeatedly stood by him even as he and the company reached settlements with five women
who had complained about sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by him.
The agreements totaled about $13 million.

Since then, more than 50 advertisers had abandoned his show, and women’s rights groups
had called for him to be fired.

Inside the company, women expressed outrage and questioned whether top executives were
serious about maintaining a culture based on “trust and respect,” as they had promised last
summer when another sexual harassment scandal led to the ouster of Roger E. Ailes as
chairman of Fox News.

That left Mr. O’Reilly’s fate in the hands of the Murdoch family, which controls 21st Century Fox.

In the end, according to two people familiar with the decision, Rupert Murdoch and his sons,
James and Lachlan, made their call after reviewing the results of an internal investigation that
found that multiple women had reported inappropriate behavior by Mr. O’Reilly.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have
agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” 21st Century Fox
said in a statement...'
SOURCE:

YAY!   minusculeclap   Finally, I see some justice being served by the upper management of a large company.  This should send a signal to others of what could happen to them, and make them think twice. 

Sorry, @Daitengu.  Best you stay across the waters, or else learn to keep your hands to yourself.   mediumsmile
Will definetly stay over here on my patch ..... far more fun without all the hassles ......
Besides ...... gotta keep all the bargirls happy over here ....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

This is very similar to Jimmy Saville a DJ and celebrity in U.K. who worked at the BBC.  For decades he was abusing young kids and it was apparently an open secret at the BBC, and all his depravity was only unveiled after his death.

I am glad they have been honest about O'Reilly and kicked him out, this kind of behaviour is not acceptable ever.
I wish somebody would teach me a lesson by paying tens of millions of dollars in my legal fees and settlements and THEN paying ME tens of millions of dollars to gracefully retire without having to register as a sex offender...

tinysure
Yeah, they need to clean house, get rid of the old timers (from the "old school" way of thinking).

O'Reilly should have retired when Ailes left, being as Gretchen Carlson brought his name up in her claims as well. That should have been a warning for him to get out while he was still  top dog.

Having said that, I sure hate to see Murdoch's 2 sons who are Dems get their way every time, otherwise FOX will turn into all the other Left leaning media. 

Oh gotta love these dippy Hollywood celebs.
Boy they can get downright nasty and mean.

Anyhoo, in another thread I mentioned how Dems have amnesia ( convenient memory loss)  when it comes to Bill Clinton and his true blue numerous sexual harassment claims? 

Love what hypocrite dippy Cher tweeted....

[Image: dcc6f03262d54942a0113e1eff97d2a2.png]

Um, need someone remind her about Bill and his 'cigar' trick while in the Oval Office getting a BJ?! 
Yunno, the infamous blue dress. Not to mention him saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". smh.
Impeachment and disbarment anyone???
And don't forget Hillary threatening the women as well.  

Yeah, convenient memory loss I see. sigh.
Don't drink the water folks there in Cali, just saying

Funny how when it is one of their own political candidates in hot water, all you hear is crickets from the Dems and MSM. 
But god forbid it be a Rep, it is all out war then. 

Trump was guilty of the crude audio which is not nearly as severe as what Bill Clinton did over the years to multiple women.
Crude remarks are just that, crude and I have heard plenty over the years from both Men and Women.
If I hear something I don't care for, I simply walk away.

Bottom line tho, sexual harassment should never ever happen. It does need to be stopped by ALL individuals.

Nor should it be a political tool to attack someone you don't like, due to their opposing views.
Especially when a politician in their own party was guilty of the same behavior, if not worse. 
All that does in my mind is take away from the importance and severity of the issue at hand.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(04-21-2017, 06:11 AM)senona Wrote: Yeah, they need to clean house, get rid of the old timers (from the "old school" way of thinking).

O'Reilly should have retired when Ailes left, being as Gretchen Carlson brought his name up in her claims as well. That should have been a warning for him to get out while he was still  top dog.

Um, need someone remind her about Bill and his 'cigar' trick while in the Oval Office getting a BJ?! 
Yunno, the infamous blue dress. Not to mention him saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". smh

Bottom line tho, sexual harassment should never ever happen. It does need to be stopped by ALL individuals.

Nor should it be a political tool to attack someone you don't like, due to their opposing views.
Especially when a politician in their own party was guilty of the same behavior, if not worse. 
All that does in my mind is take away from the importance and severity of the issue at hand.

Yep, I agree O'Reilly should have gone earlier.

Whatever Clinton did with Lewinski, she was a consenting adult - not sexual harassment. I am sure he did harass others, just clarifying a point.

Sexual harassment is something that Trump uses, "Grab 'em by the pussy" ring any bells.  I saw a great quote from one of the Patriots who refused to go to the White House who said in all his years as a player, and in various locker rooms, he had never heard that kind of talk.

Politics is a dirty business and sex scandals go hand in hand with it, just look at UK for numerous examples. Usually however, they arise (pun intended) after a person is out of power, but not always.
Quote:Whatever Clinton did with Lewinski, she was a consenting adult - not sexual harassment. I am sure he did harass others, just clarifying a point.

True that.

But can you imagine had that been Bush or Trump carry out such an act in the Oval Office of all places??? The OVAL OFFICE mind you.
O.M.G.  ....the media would go ballistic. Nuclear even. The sky would fall. It would be the EOTW for all Mankind. 
THAT is the difference.

And Clinton had numerous sexual harassment  allegations against him. 

My problem here is that Dems seem to have forgotten that small detail. Not realizing what hypocrites they are being on that issue when it comes to attacking Republicans.

And these so-called Feminist Groups only speak out when it is of an opposing party i.e. O'Reilly/Trump.

They sure as hell were not there to help stand up for Sarah Palin and the onslaught of verbal attacks she caught in 2008.
Nor have they defended KellyAnn Conway, first woman to help get a candidate elected President.

Kinda going off-track there, but sorta related.

Quote:Sexual harassment is something that Trump uses, "Grab 'em by the pussy" ring any bells.  I saw a great quote from one of the Patriots who refused to go to the White House who said in all his years as a player, and in various locker rooms, he had never heard that kind of talk.

Sorry, but two guys bullshitting on audio where there was never any proof that it actually happened, is definitely not the same as multiple women coming forward as in Bill Clinton's case.
(or O'Reillys/Roger Ailes)

And yes, some guys do talk crude like that. Indeed they do.
To deny otherwise is just ignorant or naive. 
I've worked in a 'Man's World' for 30 years out here on the road. I have heard many vulgar things said by guys when a chick walks by. 
Nasty comments. Things that would make you blush. 

I'm not making any excuses for what was said on the audio, but to deny that kind of talk happens by other guys is flat out bullshit. Period. 
 Not my opinion either, but from my personal experience from being around men all the time.

But I'm not one to get offended easily and just took for granted that is normal "locker room'' macho bullshit talk.  :smallwink:

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

1984hasarrived 
Quote:Whatever Clinton did with Lewinski, she was a consenting adult - not sexual harassment. I am sure he did harass others, just clarifying a point.

Sorry, but Lewinski was an Intern and Slick Willie was her Boss. That's Sexual Harassment.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(04-21-2017, 08:03 AM)guohua Wrote: 1984hasarrived 

Sorry, but Lewinski was an Intern and Slick Willie was her Boss. That's Sexual Harassment.

That is definitely one who is in a "higher" position taking advantage of the lowly intern. 
Sure she probably did her fair share of flirting, but still, him being MARRIED and President ---- and in the Oval Office. Totally uncool.
He should have known better. 

CEO's of a company can lose their job over that.
Hell, Congressmen have lost theirs just over rumors of an affair. In fact, that is just about the only thing that can bring a politician down is having an affair. 

Anyhow, don't think we got to worry about Billy boy anymore.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'