Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Italy's Mount Etna Erupts. *BOOM!*
[Image: 700_63a0ba3ca7912ae75b2f5094ce7a77b8.jpg?v=1488308251]

Quote:Bright lava has lit up the night sky on the Italian island of Sicily as Mount Etna erupts for the first time this year.
The volcano, one of the most active in the world, has been largely dormant for the last two years.
It sprung to life with bright orange lava spewing out high over the Mediterranean Island on Monday night (Tuesday NZT), eventually easing off by morning.
Italy's Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, spews lava as it erupts on the southern island of Sicily.

Catania airport, situated within 50km of the volcano, remained open, but authorities were tracking the movements of the ash cloud.

Etna, at 10,926 feet, is the highest volcano in mainland Europe and can burst into action several times a year.

Link

I remember several years ago there was a woman named Gracie who lived at the base of Mount Etna.  She had an ongoing thread on ATS where she posted pictures of the volcano when it acted up.  Some of the most amazing pictures! 

I haven't seen her there in a couple of years. I hope if she is still living there, she is okay.  I would never live that close to an active volcano.   tinybighuh
Nice!

Here's a link to one of the LIVE WEBCAMS!

LINK to ETNA CAM