Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eight billionaires 'as rich as world's poorest half'
Ok, so let's imagine that Oxfam got it wrong, just for the sake of argument, shall we?

Instead the top 10 billionaires in the world have as much wealth as 50% of the planet - does that sound any better? Or 20 billionaires. 

The fact remains the same - there is a huge imbalance of wealth.  The number on the left of the equation is irrelevant, even if it is 100 billionaires has more wealth than 50% of the world's poorest population.

"But look the poor people aren't starving any more, they are just poor now".  Well that is a real comfort to the 3.6 billion poor people in the world.  I'm sure they feel much better living in their hovel, with water dripping through the roof knowing that they are not going to go hungry.

Quote:The world's eight richest individuals have as much wealth as the 3.6bn people who make up the poorest half of the world, according to Oxfam.

The charity said its figures, which critics have queried, came from improved data, and the gap between rich and poor was "far greater than feared".

[Image: _93552411_eight_richest_men_624-2.png] 

Oxfam's report coincides with the start of the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Mark Littlewood, of the Institute of Economic Affairs, said Oxfam should focus instead on ways to boost growth.

"As an 'anti-poverty' charity, Oxfam seems to be strangely preoccupied with the rich," said the director-general of the free market think tank.

For those concerned with "eradicating absolute poverty completely", the focus should be on measures that encourage economic growth, he added.

Ben Southwood, head of research at the Adam Smith Institute, said it was not the wealth of the world's rich that mattered, but the welfare of the world's poor, which was improving every year.

"Each year we are misled by Oxfam's wealth statistics. The data is fine - it comes from Credit Suisse - but the interpretation is not."

'Elite gathering'
The annual event in Davos, a Swiss ski resort, attracts many of the world's top political and business leaders.

Katy Wright, Oxfam's head of global external affairs, said the report helped the charity to "challenge the political and economic elites".

"We're under no illusions that Davos is anything other than a talking shop for the world's elite, but we try and use that focus," she added.

UK economist Gerard Lyons said focusing on extreme wealth "does not always give the full picture" and attention should be paid to "making sure the economic cake is getting bigger".

However, he said Oxfam was right to single out companies that it believed fuelled inequality with business models that were "increasingly focused on delivering ever-higher returns to wealthy owners and top executives".

Oxfam's Ms Wright said economic inequality was fuelling a polarisation in politics, citing Donald Trump's election as US president and the Brexit vote as examples.

'Fair share'
"People are angry and calling out for alternatives. They're feeling left behind because however hard they work they can't share in their country's growth," she said.

The charity is calling for "a more human economy" and is urging governments to crack down on executive pay and tax evasion and impose higher taxes on the wealthy.

It also wants business leaders to pay a "fair share of tax" and has urged companies to pay staff the "living wage", which is higher than the government's National Living Wage.

Oxfam has produced similar reports for the past four years. In 2016 it calculated that the richest 62 people in the world had as much wealth as the poorest half of the global population.

The number had fallen to just eight this year because more accurate data was now available, Oxfam said.

It was still the case that the world's richest 1% had as much wealth as the rest of the world combined, Oxfam said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38613488
It's just another arm of the Cabal (Elite) to stay in control of the masses.

Keep the majority of people at a low income so they are too busy working trying to feed their families to have time to see what's going on on the bigger screen. 

Actually, the plan was to make as many people as possible lose their job by sending manufacturing over seas so they had to rely on the government for handouts.  No one will bite the hand that feeds them, right?  Then when everyone gets used to being spoon fed for free, they become lazy and easy to control; they have the country exactly where they want them!  tinysure

Yes, there is definitely an imbalance, and it's been "arranged" that way on purpose by the Elite.

One thing we need is a higher pay scale for the average worker.  As it is, it takes two people working just to keep their heads above water. For anyone trying to pay the bills alone, it takes working 16 hr. shifts, or holding down 2-3 jobs all by themselves; I know, I had to do it for years after my husband got sick and was turned down for disability!   Now, I'm paying the price with my own bad health... but I digress.  Having the parents gone all the time on a job leaves the kids (if there are any) alone to raise themselves, and we see how that is turning out! tinyshocked

Let's see what happens in the next four years.  Hopefully, we'll start to see some financial pressure taken off the general population so we can take a day off work to walk through the woods and chill out. It won't happen over night, but I do believe it will happen.  Trump has already done so much to bring jobs back into the U.S. and he isn't even in office yet. He will fight the establishment that has put us where we are today.   minusculebiggrin