Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An interesting comment from Snowden
Found this on diaspora - interesting thought from Mr Snowden, and sadly it is all too true.

People have been brainwashed into not caring about their privacy, I am trying to encourage others to use PGP as default and am not getting anywhere as people say "Why do that when I have nothing to hide?" *facepalm*.  That is not the point!!

Freedom is taken away daily as others tag you in pics on FailBook without your consent, as your emails are monitored by Google, and your surfing is tracked and targeted. People should be able to choose what they share, and not have that freedom ripped from them.

ETA

Well, looks like I will definitely be removing that pretty soon.

Quote:It seems that Facebook is in the news again for another privacy issue, or rather, lack thereof.

With an ever-developing and technology-evolving world, we often opt for the apps and websites that make our lives easier. Facebook Messenger is one of those, as it allows us to connect with others in a fast and efficient way, whether we are sharing text messages, photos or even voice recordings.

In April, it was reported that a huge 900 million people use Facebook Messenger, whether that be to chat to friends, strangers or businesses, all sharing personal information, and making communication easier and simpler.

Users of the social app have now been warned to delete it, before re-downloading it and reading the terms of agreement.

It has been reported that there are a lot of statements in this agreement that the majority of users were previously unaware of, due to skipping over these terms and deeming them not important, with an urgency to start using the app.

However, there are certain statements within the agreement which very clearly state that there will be an overstep of privacy, which essentially means that users can be spied on without their knowledge.

Whilst this may sound wrong and unjust, all users must agree to these terms before the app will commence downloading, and in a world of efficiency, companies know that millions of people skip through these statements, and agree to clauses without really reading them.

One of the statements in the agreement states that Facebook will “record audio with the microphone … at any time without your confirmation.”

Sounds pretty scary, right?

Another statement says that Facebook will have permission to use your phone’s camera and record videos, read your phone’s call list, and data about your contacts, as well as directly calling numbers which may even charge you.

Facebook list all of the information that they collect from you and how they use it here, even monitoring the frequency of the calls that you make, together with emails and other messages to certain individuals.

http://truththeory.com/2017/01/03/facebo...firmation/
First of all,  excellent point by Snowden.   minusculethumbsup
Love him or hate him, he's right on target I'm afraid when it comes to the young folks of today.

Yes, last year I noticed Farcebook stopped letting me use chat on phone, they wanted me to down Messenger.
So I looked into it and was like oh HELL NO.
No way, no how.

That has got to be one of the most intrusive prying apps I have run across so far.
Wanting "permission" on just about EVERYTHING on your phone.

Yet how many use it according to the article? 900 million?
Just so they can "chat" to one another, they are giving up their privacy?

All one has to do is set the option to "desk top" instead of mobile and that usually works for me.
Of course, very seldom do i respond to chat via phone unless it is mystic.

Quote:People have been brainwashed into not caring about their privacy, I am trying to encourage others to use PGP as default and am not getting anywhere as people say "Why do that when I have nothing to hide?" *facepalm*.  That is not the point!!

Okay, color me dumb. 
But what is PGP?

And even tho you may have nothing to hide, it is the principle  of the matter when it comes to privacy.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

@senona PGP is the most common method of encryption.  It stands for Pretty Good Privacy (nice huh?), and has been around for a while. Now it has become commercial but there is a free version called GnuPG. 

There are other ways as well to use PGP, eg Thuderbird (mail client) and Enigmail, you just need then everyone else to be using PGP so you can encrypt your emails to them, well yoiu can encrypt them anyway but without your public key and PGP they will be unable to read the email
Those who are stupid enough to use all that shit deserve what they get .......  not my fucking problem they dont know how to secure their communications and are too stupid to value their privacy ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(01-10-2017, 08:58 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: @senona PGP is the most common method of encryption.  It stands for Pretty Good Privacy (nice huh?), and has been around for a while. Now it has become commercial but there is a free version called GnuPG. 

There are other ways as well to use PGP, eg Thuderbird (mail client) and Enigmail, you just need then everyone else to be using PGP so you can encrypt your emails to them, well yoiu can encrypt them anyway but without your public key and PGP they will be unable to read the email

Yes, GnuPG is a Very Good program.
But getting others to be in the same frame of mind and worried about their Personal information will drive you crazy.
The older you are the more you understand, No One Will Take Care Of You Nor Do They Care!
The younger Sheeple (up to 30 something) think that the Government and Mark Elliot Zuckerberg (facebook) and others Care About Them,,, YES, Really!  smallroflmao

@"1984hasarrived" , Good Thread and I'm Thankful you brought this to our members attention and to the Lurkers that don't bother to join.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(01-10-2017, 12:04 PM)Daitengu Wrote: Those who are stupid enough to use all that shit deserve what they get .......  not my fucking problem they dont know how to secure their communications and are too stupid to value their privacy ......

Like Podesta using the actual word "password" for his email password, and then clicked on the phishing scam link. LMAO.

Heck, that was one of the first things i learned was never use passwords such as that....pffft.

Yep, it appears all of DNC was to stupid to know how to secure their communications.
Pretty bad when government officials themselves do not know any better. ha-ha

a.k.a. 'snarky412'