Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Dakota Protesters WIN
I am so very happy!   See what can happen when people unite together for a GOOD cause, and do it PEACEFULLY? 

[Image: 3B0A7F5C00000578-3999630-image-a-100_1480888394284.jpg]

Quote:BREAKING: Dakota protesters WIN their bid to stop pipeline being built through Standing Rock
  • Protesters at the Dakota Access Pipeline cheered as the news emerged
  • The US Army Corps engineers informed tribal elders Sunday afternoon
  • Came after thousand of servicemen and women arrived to protest 
  • Demonstrators had filed onto the site in huge numbers in last few days   
The Dakota Access Pipeline will not go ahead at the Standing Rock Indian reservation, it was announced Sunday.
Cheyenne river Sioux Tribal Council chairman Harold Frazier told DailyMail.com that he was 'shocked' by the news, which he'd received from Jo-Ellen Darcy, US Army Corps of engineers.
The camp erupted into cheers as the news spread that the corps would not enforce an easement that would have allowed a pipeline to run through tribal lands, including a burial site. 
Faith Spotted Eagle, an elder of the Ihanktonwan tribe, said: 'The easement has been denied. We have all come to this gathering being hosted by Mother Earth. I love you all.'
Shailene Woodley, star of the Divergent movies and 'The Fault in Our Stars', who had previously been arrested while protesting told a huge crowd: 'We feel so honored to have been a small part of this movement.'
Cries of Mni Waconi - 'Water is life' - went up from the crowd. 

[Image: 3B0A7BD800000578-3999630-image-a-104_1480888422360.jpg]

Watch the video on the source page; I can't get it to embed here.

Read the full story here:  Source

I feel like dancing... but I can't.   tinylaughing
Interior Secretary Jewell Statement in Support of U.S. Army Decision Related to the Dakota Access Pipeline

Quote:12/4/2016

Date: December 4, 2016
WASHINGTON – Today U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell released the following statement in support of the U.S. Army's decision related to the Dakota Access Pipeline:
Quote:"The thoughtful approach established by the Army today ensures that there will be an in-depth evaluation of alternative routes for the pipeline and a closer look at potential impacts, as envisioned by NEPA. The Army's announcement underscores that tribal rights reserved in treaties and federal law, as well as Nation-to-Nation consultation with tribal leaders, are essential components of the analysis to be undertaken in the environmental impact statement going forward."

SOURCE
Amazing! This right here is proof positive the power of protesting. No matter whether you agree with somebody or not, the power of the voice is undeniable. Good on them! I'm glad we didn't have to see a law enforcement vs. veteran showdown. I wonder how much their presence played a part in this decision.  minusculebeercheers
btw @"Mystic Wanderer" I'm really diggin the new avatar  tinycool
(12-05-2016, 12:11 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: Amazing! This right here is proof positive the power of protesting. No matter whether you agree with somebody or not, the power of the voice is undeniable. Good on them! I'm glad we didn't have to see a law enforcement vs. veteran showdown. I wonder how much their presence played a part in this decision.  minusculebeercheers

I think the veterans coming to help had everything to do with it.  Once the Powers That Be saw WHO was backing them, they decided it was time to stand down. 
I'm so happy for my native neighbors. tinybiggrin
I'm very happy to see that the government decided to stop the pipeline.  The concerns of the Native Americans were founded on real possible problems that could occur in the future.
(12-05-2016, 03:59 AM)rickymouse Wrote: I'm very happy to see that the government decided to stop the pipeline.  The concerns of the Native Americans were founded on real possible problems that could occur in the future.

I'm very Happy To See YOU Here.  minusculehello
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(12-05-2016, 03:53 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 12:11 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: Amazing! This right here is proof positive the power of protesting. No matter whether you agree with somebody or not, the power of the voice is undeniable. Good on them! I'm glad we didn't have to see a law enforcement vs. veteran showdown. I wonder how much their presence played a part in this decision.  minusculebeercheers

I think the veterans coming to help had everything to do with it.  Once the Powers That Be saw WHO was backing them, they decided it was time to stand down. 
I'm so happy for my native neighbors. tinybiggrin

I think you are right on that, the Veterans being there did help.
Good news and an indication that if you listen to those who have genuine concerns,
it's probably a good idea to heed what they say.

It took some time, but I think sensible heads all around won a victory there.

Well done!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I'm sure we have all been wondering what Trump would do concerning the pipeline because he did say in his speech that he would see that the pipeline continued.

Well...

Trump sells his stake in Dakota Access Pipeline developer

Quote:Donald Trump has sold his entire stake in Energy Transfer Partners (ETP), the company overseeing construction of the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline, a Trump spokeswoman told NBC News.
Trump's shares of the company created a possible conflict of interest for the president-elect, as his administration may determine the project's fate amid ongoing protests from Native Americans and climate activists. Trump has supported the 1,172-mile pipeline and broader efforts to produce more fossil fuels in the United States.
On Sunday, the Army Corp of Engineers denied a federal permit for the project needed for a segment of the pipeline. Trump's administration could still approve it.
The planned pipeline route would have crossed beneath the Missouri River and run a half-mile of the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. Opponents said it could taint drinking water and disturb sacred sites.
Protests against the pipeline have gone on for months.

Source

I think that's probably the smartest thing he could do at this point.  I'm sure someone out there will scream that he is already going back on his word, but the Standing Rock situation hadn't reached the point of protesting that it had, with the supporters that it gained, when he gave his speech.

He will still be in a position of power when all is said and done, so I'm wondering which way he'll lean with this if it should come to that in the future.