Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gatlinburg TN is Burning!
(12-01-2016, 05:26 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Click on picture.  I don't know how to label this song, but it sure does suit this situation.  

Thanks Mystic for keeping up with this tragedy.   minusculethumbsup
My heart goes out to all the people affected by it and to whom have lost everything.

And to @"Grace" for posting the wonderful image of the firefighters taking a rest on the sidewalk.
Those guys are the best!!

#PrayforGatlinburg

[Image: animated_candle.gif?w=477]

As to your video, which it does fit perfectly with the situation at hand in TN, is courtesy of "The Hobbit:The Desolation of Smaug"
We've only seen the movie a dozen times or so, hence why I knew that song. (((grins)))

Here is the original song with movie clips if interested...

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Thanks @"senona" .  No wonder I like that song; I love Ed Sheeran. 

The death toll is now at 13 people.  The parents of three young men, who have been in a burn hospital for the past few days, were found last night in the cabin they rented.  The family came to Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving vacation.   This is a very sad story!

A man, Michael Reed, and his son are still waiting on word from his wife and two daughters that got separated from them during the evacuation. I hope they are found safe.  There is still a lot of area to search.

On a brighter note, one woman was waiting for word about her house.  She had to leave her dogs inside and she was distraught worrying about whether they survived.  Yesterday some firemen went to the house and reported that the fire had burned right up to her doorstep, then stopped.  Her house was untouched and her dogs were safe.   smallgreenbananadancer

And, we have this 82 year old couple, who hiked down the mountain to reach safety.  82 YEARS OLD!  That's a great story!

Click to watch the video.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/wildfire/.../361663717

Donations are coming in from all over the country to help the families who lost everything.  It certainly helps to fill the emptiness and loss I have felt when I see acts of kindness like what is being shown to my neighboring community.   minusculegoodjob
Hey everyone... our local news station has said the death toll is at 13 now (and 85 injured).. 2 of those deceased is a couple vacationing from Canada.  

Here is an article on this update:

http://fox17.com/news/local/gatlinburg-d...s-affected

My prayers are with the people and families of all those affected by this fire.
OMG  tinybighuh How Terrible.
I have well wishes and Incense and Candles lite now and I'll meditate soon for the victims and Great hard Working Fire Fighters and all other Rescuers risking their lives for others so 
unselfishly.
[Image: tumblr_o1c5uqzNu21rlii8to1_500.gif] 
[Image: Buddha-Zen-Buddha-font-b-Incense-b-font-...Burner.jpg]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(12-02-2016, 11:28 PM)guohua Wrote: OMG  tinybighuh How Terrible.
I have well wishes and Incense and Candles lite now and I'll meditate soon for the victims and Great hard Working Fire Fighters and all other Rescuers risking their lives for others so 
unselfishly.

Thank you Ms. G. 

[Image: heart-300x252.jpg]
Well, the verdict is finally in on the teens who started the fire, and guess what?  They let them go... dropped the charges!   tinyangry

I suppose they must have some influential parents (rich) who got them off. 

Yep, I was right.  One is the son of a cop; don't know about the other one, but rest assured, he is a spoiled brat who has parents who get him out of all the messes he makes. 

[Image: 35553607001_5489388108001_5489379919001-vs.jpg]

Quote:Prosecutors have dropped charges against two Anderson County teenagers they labeled as responsible for the state’s deadliest wildfire in a century, an attorney said Friday. 

Defense attorney Gregory P. Isaacs said the state can’t prove that the horseplay of the boys, ages 17 and 15, sparked a fire in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that caused the deadly wildfires in Gatlinburg five days later.

"My client and the other juvenile, based on the proof and the evidence, did not cause the death and devastation in Gatlinburg," Isaacs said during an afternoon news conference inside his in downtown Knoxville law office.

Isaacs called the case "an unfortunate rush to judgment" on the two teens.

And, he continued, state prosecutors didn’t have the authority to charge the pair in the first place.

The boys were hiking on the Chimney Tops trail in the park on Nov. 23 and tossing lit matches onto the ground around the trail. Brush caught fire. The boys continued hiking down the trail. A fellow hiker with a Go-Pro happened to catch footage of them with smoke in the background. He didn’t know it was important.

Park officials decided to let the fire burn. Five days later, winds of nearly 90 mph inexplicably whipped up, spreading deadly flames into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The emergency response was fretted with flaws, including the failure to warn residents and delayed evacuations. The fire would eventually encompass more than 17,000 acres, kill 14 people, hurt nearly 200 more and burn more than 2,400 buildings - at the height of Sevier County’s winter tourism season.

"Our firm’s independent investigation revealed (what happened on the Chimney Tops trail) did not cause the Gatlinburg fires beyond a reasonable doubt," Isaacs said.

"We want everyone to know that our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the Gatlinburg fire."

Even if they couldn't prove the boys caused the fire in Gatlinburg, they should still be charged with arson for starting the fire on Chimney Tops.  Right?   Wrong!  They are getting off scott free, and that just burns me up! (No pun intended.)

The fire that started on Chimney Tops is on Federal Land, so they said it would be up to the Federal Court to charge them with that.
I don't see them getting anything for their crimes.

Quote:The federal government owns national parks, and only federal officials have authority to prosecute crimes committed on federal land. In 1997, the director of the National Park Service and then-Gov. Don Sundquist reached an agreement giving local and state authorities the legal right to also prosecute cases within federal lands in Tennessee.

Source

Sigh...  These boys better hope the people who lost everything, including family members, don't find out who they are. There are some out there that aren't going to accept this, I'm afraid.