Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gatlinburg TN is Burning!
This is a very sad situation.  This tourist/resort town is one of the main attractions for East Tennessee, and offers employment to many people in the area, and now  it's burning to the ground!
A total evacuation has been ordered for the town.  It is now moving closer to Piegon Forge, another neighboring tourist town.  This is where the Dollywood Theme Park is located.

Fires spread to the area last night from surrounding areas due to high winds in excess of 60 mph.  
I was watching a live feed last night and the reporter was in a hotel and showed fires just outside the window of the lobby!  I got up this morning to learn it had burned down, along with hundreds of other buildings and homes. tinycrying

Firefighters are coming in from many surrounding counties to help.

This is my home, a place where I have gone many times during my lifetime to see the Christmas lights that adorn the streets and buildings.  It's called one of the biggest attractions of the area in the winter... Winter Fest.  Now it is lit up by fire, not Christmas lights. minusculecrybaby 

My heart is heavy for the loss of the beautiful mountains that surround the area with her blanket of beautiful colors... now gone. 

Please say a prayer, send positive thoughts, or whatever it is you do, to this area.  People who lived in the area have lost their homes and thousands are displaced. 

And the fire still burns.   tinycrying 

You can see some photos here, and click on the image to see a report and video:  WBIR t.v.

[Image: g6-2n-p7I.jpg]

This t.v. station has been giving a live stream all night and morning:  http://wate.com/

ETA:  I just came across this video that shows the devastation last night. You can hear the heavy winds:

That doesn't look good at all Mystic.

Here's hoping everyone stays safe or gets out quickly.

Gx
I would like to acknowledge and say a huge THANK YOU to the firefighters who have worked all night pulling 14 hour shifts to help put out the fires.

I just heard more help is coming from surrounding states.  That's wonderful news because this isn't over yet!

Here are some screen shots I just captured:

This is where so many people have gone to get married, a small Chapel, then spend their honeymoon in Gatlinburg.   It's now gone.   tinycrying

Picture from WBIR.com
Here are some pictures of Piegon Forge last night, the neighboring resort/tourist town.

This is the Dollywood Dream World Hotel.  Look at the fire right behind it!  Luckily, the hotel is safe, and so is the Dollywood Theme Park. However, some of the Dollywood Rental Cabins have been lost.

To put things in perspective, here is what some people were going through last night: tinycrying 
Not for the faint of heart!

Click on the picture to see the video.

Updated Aerial Video:  Source
You will have to watch the videos from the source link due to privacy copyrights.

Quote:GATLINBURG (WATE) – A view from the air is giving a look at the devastating damage in Gatlinburg.
A fire near the Chimney Tops spread, causing dozens of fires across Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Wears Valley. Gatlinburg Fire Department said there are about 14 active fires burning as of Tuesday afternoon.
WATE 6 On Your Side Meteorologist Ryan Beesley went up with pilots from Scenic Helicopter Tours to get a bird’s eye look at the fires.
“It’s very shaky because it is so windy,” said Beesley. “Getting into that smoke while being in a helicopter also created a lot of turbulence.”

Beesley said the damage was unreal. He said much of the destruction was along Sky View Drive, northwest of Gatlinburg and just east and north of Wears Valley, where hundreds of homes had burned to the ground. He said condos were demolished.
“All of those brown spots you are seeing, those are the foundations of homes,” said WATE 6 On Your Side Meteorologist Ryan Beesley. “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”
There were still active fires and a lot of hot spots, according to Beesley.
“I didn’t see a lot of flames. A lot of the residue is just low burn. Last night all of the videos we saw flames just shooting up.
@"Mystic Wanderer"

Yeah... it's bad, we have had smoke and burning smell all the way up here from all that depending on the wind direction. Been praying for everyone down there, and hoping it gets put out soon..

P.S., last I heard the Red Cross kept a lot of the donation money for administration fees, but for anyone interested in an alternative the fire department is taking donations for the victims of the fire and it might have a better chance of more of it going to the people who need it.

Quote:You can send donations to the Pigeon Forge Fire Hall Station 1 at 3229 Rena Street in Pigeon Forge

http://wkrg.com/2016/11/29/heres-how-to-...e-victims/
(11-29-2016, 11:32 PM)Grace Wrote: @"Mystic Wanderer"

Yeah... it's bad, we have had smoke and burning smell all the way up here from all that depending on the wind direction. Been praying for everyone down there, and hoping it gets put out soon..

P.S., last I heard the Red Cross kept a lot of the donation money for administration fees, but for anyone interested in an alternative the fire department is taking donations for the victims of the fire and it might have a better chance of more of it going to the people who need it.  

Quote:You can send donations to the Pigeon Forge Fire Hall Station 1 at 3229 Rena Street in Pigeon Forge

Thanks @"Grace".   Yes, I think I'll remove that donation part from my OP because they do keep a lot of the money for themselves.  Better to give it to someone who will do more to actually help the people. 

The air quality was terrible here yesterday from the smoke, but the rains last night helped some. We're supposed to get another round tonight. I hope it helps put the fires out over there.   minusculecrybaby
(11-30-2016, 02:23 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Thanks @"Grace".   Yes, I think I'll remove that donation part from my OP because they do keep a lot of the money for themselves.  Better to give it to someone who will do more to actually help the people. 

The air quality was terrible here yesterday from the smoke, but the rains last night helped some. We're supposed to get another round tonight. I hope it helps put the fires out over there.   minusculecrybaby

Hopefully they will be heavier in that area for sure.. we are getting rain here too again tonight, but it's not supposed to be a downpour or anything, which is probably what the fires need.

As for removing the donation part from your post... you don't have to, I just wanted an alternative posted which is important, but red cross is easier for some people and something is better than nothing.

There are two people now on my Facebook (friends of friends) without homes tonight. It's very sad. I think this Christmas instead of giving gifts to family i will donate in the gift recipients name instead.. it seems to be needed this year.

I have been through two house fires in my life where i lost everything I owned, it's never easy.
How very sad to see this. My thoughts and prayers for all involved. mediumcrying
Update:  There have been four confirmed deaths, but they are still in "search and rescue/recovery" mode.   There are still many areas that have to be cleared of downed trees or power lines before they can be reached, so I hope the death count doesn't rise. tinycrying 

A strong line of storms came through last night and continues through today.  It has put out most of the fires, but now is causing some areas to have mud slides from the burned areas. 
The heavy storms caused a tornado in a county southwest of Gatlinburg, destroying homes and businesses.  Still waiting on updates about that.

I hate that all this is happening so close to Christmas, which just compounds the sorrow these people must feel. 

Thoughts and prayers and donations are still needed.  Help, if you can, please.

Thinking of those with loss. Thanks Mystic.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Went an lit some joss sticks at shrine earlier after heard ......

Wouldnt donate to red cross ..... they pocket it all ..... and instead of helping at disasters they sell coffee and donuts  ..... never once have I seen them do a damn thing to actually help ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(11-30-2016, 09:07 PM)Daitengu Wrote: Went an lit some joss sticks at shrine earlier after heard ......

Wouldnt donate to red cross ..... they pocket it all ..... and instead of helping at disasters they sell coffee and donuts  ..... never once have I seen them do a damn thing to actually help ......

Thank you Daitengu.           

[Image: hugs90.gif]
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I thought I was share a heartwarming picture of the firefighters taking a small break from fighting the fire in Gatlinburg, after working 36 hours straight. 

[Image: 15181424_10154731117205349_6201676781905...e=58CB7EAA]

God bless all the workers who are giving and have given their all to save people and property.
(12-01-2016, 02:19 PM)Grace Wrote: I thought I was share a heartwarming picture of the firefighters taking a small break from fighting the fire in Gatlinburg, after working 36 hours straight. 

[Image: 15181424_10154731117205349_6201676781905...e=58CB7EAA]

God bless all the workers who are giving and have given their all to save people and property.

For all the hard work an dedication ...... those guys deserve huge pay raise along with good holiday once the fires are out ........
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

Yes, they definitely deserve a raise.  

I have the video of that car driving through the fires posted in this thread on a post of it's own.  If you haven't seen it, you should go back and take a look.  It really was like something from a movie!  I'm so glad they finally made it out safe.

May Blessings be Showered on our Firefighters!  They have been wonderful and deserve all the recognition we can give them.  

There have been 7 fatalities so far.  There are still some missing. Searches of homes continue. 

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/first-vic.../360376216
Click on picture.  I don't know how to label this song, but it sure does suit this situation.