Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Researchers discover glow-in-the-dark shark: the Ninja Lanternshark
[Image: screen-shot-2015-12-29-11.png]
The ninja lanternsharp, or Etmopterus benchleyi, grows to 1.5 feet in length and lives nearly a mile beneath the ocean surface

Quote:In the deep waters off the Pacific coast of Central America lurks an all-black, glowing shark that grows to 1.5 feet in length. First collected in 2010 by researchers from California, it has now been described for the first time and dubbed the ninja lanternshark.

Like other lanternsharks, it produces light with special organs in its body, which is likely used to communicate with other sharks, for camouflage and perhaps to attract prey.

The scientists who first found the fish, from the Pacific Shark Research Center in California, gave the species the technical name Etmopterus benchleyi. It’s named after Peter Benchley, the author of Jaws. Although that book, and the movie, created a lot of fear toward sharks, Benchley later became a shark conservationist and established the annual Benchley Awards, which recognize achievements in ocean conservation.

SOURCE

The animal lives in the waters off the continental slope, at depths of 0.5 to 0.9 miles deep, where it is very dark. It presumably eats small fish and crustaceans although scientists don’t yet know hardly anything about its diet or behavior.

Its teeth are small, extremely sharp and nearly translucent, according to the study.

[Image: screen-shot-2015-12-29-1_0.png]

Teeth look like ice/glass...ha

What a very interesting find, strange looking indeed
There is no telling what else lurks deep in the ocean, that we have yet to discover!

Damn Ugly Little Bastard!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I'd hate to run into that thing during a relaxing swim! But, of course, I'd hate to run into ANY shark during a swim. [Image: emoticon-happy.png] 

His teeth are amazing... and scary! 

As you said, no telling what all is out there that hasn't been discovered yet. I'll leave that to someone else... hopefully, in a protective cage. [Image: emoticon-smile.png]
(05-23-2016, 03:30 AM)guohua Wrote:  

Damn Ugly Little Bastard!

Ahahahaha! That's exactly what I was thinking!