Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Strange sculpture unearthed in Yibin China - help needed for more info
Ok, this is just a few pictures I found on a Chinese news website - maybe @guohua can have a look for more info.

These pictures are from a story about a guy in Yibin China who unearthed this beside his house.

Sorry I did not manage to grab the text, and I looked for a report on this in English but could not find one.

A man was excavating his land and unearthed this unusual discovery.

Apparently it is a “toad” but I see it as a crab, and they were a symbol of good luck - especially money. No idea when it dates from.

[Image: 2501ac2a050a4ba7aa5d2f0d5d7a65da.png]

I see it as a crab too.
In fact, that looks like a pincer in the red.
With a flat head and eyes on top like a crab.

Interesting tho.
Pretty cool find to have next to your house!

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(10-16-2016, 08:42 AM)senona Wrote: [Image: 2501ac2a050a4ba7aa5d2f0d5d7a65da.png]

I see it as a crab too.
In fact, that looks like a pincer in the red.
With a flat head and eyes on top like a crab.

Interesting tho.
Pretty cool find to have next to your house!

Yeah, that is what I thought but I had someone do an oral translation of the article and they said it was a "toad" - obviously not, with pincers.  Hopefully @guohua can find the article in `chinese, I lost it and could not find it again.  Even tried searching in Chinese too but no luck.
Gees Louise,  it's huge!   tinywhat Is it a fossilized crab, or a carving into the rock?  

I'll be interested to find out if this thing was alive at one time.  Can you imagine that thing coming after you with those large pincers?! tinybighuh
Yes, I found this article, it's from Sept. 2015.
Quote:Sichuan Mansion dug a 20 tons heavy "toad crab" shape boulder.
[Image: 115249828.jpg] [Image: 115249827.jpg]
Here would be a rough translation.
Quote:The shape of the stone crab
New Year period, Yibin County Urge Beach Elementary School dormitories extension construction, excavator digging ornamental pond, dug two large stones, strange shape resembles toads and crabs. Nearby residents said here earlier unclear why these two stone built.
According to on-site construction workers introduced after they dug stone, immediately stop construction excavator, dug start, followed by a giant crab and toad face gradually clear. "In the case of not completely dug out two stone have 1 meter wide, it is estimated there are more than 10 tons single weight. We were all surprised, the news spread, local residents and nearby people come to watch, both He said urge Beach dug treasures. "
Lee introduced the villagers, thought it was kind of small stones, soil wedge which is also normal. I also went back to watch the fun, it is found dug two large stones, strange shape like a crab and toad look. After consulting local elders informed that two boulders in front, who is a local landlord named Min's house, and the house is a stone Area in the garden. Two stone hillside, a solid sculpture.
Currently, the site has been suspended closed, it has been surveying the cultural relics department, yet draw conclusions.
Quote:The most domineering aquatic crab mascot
With respect to the toad, the cultural meaning of the crab is not so wide, in their theme of auspicious patterns are also much less.
Crab is the most domineering aquatic mascot, it is hard carapace, there are two pincers, very sharp. Ancient "dimethyl Chuanlu" auspicious Figure, the screen is two crabs and reeds. Two representatives of dimethyl crab, the "A board" meaning, reed, "Lo" and "group of people" homonym. Chuanlu a ritual roll call revealed the imperial era palace examination, successful candidates, published rankings of the day, to the house of the emperor, announced by the cabinet door to undertake, pass on the order, the guards shouted in unison by name, that the Chuanlu. Ming Dynasty, said that it would try to be the first element, the second, the first of three Chuanlu. To the Qing Dynasty, the first to specifically called dimethyl Chuanlu. Subsequently, to two crabs reed title meaning "dimethyl Chuanlu." Because a crab pincers clamp the two things they will not let go, and "fortune on the other hand," meaning, is called "windfall General", so like the crab statue businessman in the office, but also the moral courage to innovation, be the first dare to eat crab.
Source
OR:
Quote:Yibin 'Tyrant' house excavated rock shaped like a crab toad meaning Cai
Same Stone different new reporting agency.
Quote:  According to on-site construction workers introduced after they dug stone, immediately stop construction excavator, dug start, followed by a giant crab and toad face gradually clear. "In the case of not completely dug out two stone have 1 meter wide, it is estimated there are more than 10 tons single weight. We were all surprised, the news spread, local residents and nearby people come to watch, both He said urge Beach dug treasures. "
  Lee introduced the villagers, thought it was kind of small stones, soil wedge which is also normal. I also went back to watch the fun, it is found dug two large stones, strange shape like a crab and toad look. After consulting local elders informed that two boulders in front, who is a local landlord named Min's house, and the house is a stone Area in the garden. Two stone hillside, a solid sculpture.
  Currently, the site has been suspended closed, it has been surveying the cultural relics department, yet draw conclusions.

Placing stone toad Bufo implication Cai
  Toad has the moral Cai, known as Cai auspicious. Usually put out toad furnishings are three feet. Three-legged toad has three legs, with the other four different foot toads, it will spit money.
  Legend has it that in ancient China there was a fringe called gods, in all kinds of porcelain or jade in shape, it is still often seen bangs get the shape toad. It is said that toad's mouth should never toward the shop (outside), because if the toad facing the door, is the property of the house sent outside the contrary, if the time for the house, that is, outside of the money into the house make this house's fortunes increased, and both heap gold hoards luck.
Source

Good article 1984hasarrived.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
@"guohua" thanks for the translation and further info :)

I just thought it was a weird thing to dig up, and was sure it would not make the MSM in the west, why would it?

But people here may find it interesting.
(10-16-2016, 01:47 PM)1984hasarrived Wrote: @"guohua" thanks for the translation and further info :)

I just thought it was a weird thing to dig up, and was sure it would not make the MSM in the west, why would it?

But people here may find it interesting.

You're very welcome.
It's an interesting lesson about early beliefs and superstitions.
Of-Course the Chinese are a very superstitious people even today, lucky numbers are very big.
All of our vehicles have personalized plates with lucky numbers, I won't make a major purchase unless it's a lucky number day, We were Married and a lucky number day.

Even the numbers on the face of a clock and what time you go to bed or get up can be lucky or unlucky  tinysurprised.
Yeah, I know all about that @guohua. 

And did you hear of the guy who put a special number plate on his old truck (88888), paid $150,000 for it and put it on a truck that he paid $1,500 for :)  Only in China.
(10-17-2016, 12:35 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: Yeah, I know all about that @guohua. 

And did you hear of the guy who put a special number plate on his old truck (88888), paid $150,000 for it and put it on a truck that he paid $1,500 for :)  Only in China.

Yes, That's True, Only In China!  smallroflmao