Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Possible KILL shot misses
Wow! We lucked out with that one, didn't we?   tinyhuh 

He said he hoped that Obama's team was getting prepared, and it seems they are...

Executive Order -- Coordinating Efforts to Prepare the Nation for Space Weather Events

Read the article here:  LINK
DAMN  tinysure I was Soooooooooooooo Hoping To See All The Snow Flakes Fall Apart and Jump Out Of Safe Pace Dorm Windows Because They lost their Cell Phone!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
That was close...whew.

You know, you could keep a thread going with up to date solar flares and what not.
No one really focuses on solar flares any more, now that all eyes are mainly on "climate change".

Of course, what they do not mention is how the sun can affect us down here, but....well.
Guess they are too busy trying to figure out how to collect carbon taxes.

Thanks for sharing! minusculethumbsup

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Well now, came across this just now....

Executive Order -- Coordinating Efforts to Prepare the Nation for Space Weather Events

And that is the official whitehouse.gov website

Quote:

EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -

COORDINATING EFFORTS TO PREPARE
THE NATION FOR SPACE WEATHER EVENTS

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to prepare the Nation for space weather events, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. Space weather events, in the form of solar flares, solar energetic particles, and geomagnetic disturbances, occur regularly, some with measurable effects on critical infrastructure systems and technologies, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), satellite operations and communication, aviation, and the electrical power grid. Extreme space weather events -- those that could significantly degrade critical infrastructure -- could disable large portions of the electrical power grid, resulting in cascading failures that would affect key services such as water supply, healthcare, and transportation. Space weather has the potential to simultaneously affect and disrupt health and safety across entire continents. Successfully preparing for space weather events is an all-of-nation endeavor that requires partnerships across governments, emergency managers, academia, the media, the insurance industry, non-profits, and the private sector.

It is the policy of the United States to prepare for space weather events to minimize the extent of economic loss and human hardship. The Federal Government must have (1) the capability to predict and detect a space weather event, (2) the plans and programs necessary to alert the public and private sectors to enable mitigating actions for an impending space weather event, (3) the protection and mitigation plans, protocols, and standards required to reduce risks to critical infrastructure prior to and during a credible threat, and (4) the ability to respond to and recover from the effects of space weather. Executive departments and agencies (agencies) must coordinate their efforts to prepare for the effects of space weather events.

Click on link for complete EO....

There is a lot to read, but you can click the link to read it all.

Some on social media find it suspicious that this comes out this close to the election and not one word on MSM.
Think some people are guessing an EMP attack or something may occur which would put us under Martial law.

Or maybe with the Obama Admin. poking Russia, fear of a cyber attack, to which they can blame on solar flares???
Dunno, just reaching.........for my tinfoil hat. ha

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

A little more about solar flares and their effect on our power grid, hence the signing of the EO, which is mentioned here as well.

Quote:On 13 October 2016, President Barack Obama issued an executive order aimed at preparing the nation's infrastructure for "extreme space weather events" that could potentially be powerful enough to wreak havoc on essential electrical grids:

[Image: 5ccb34ad286545cc87a7150d486c7769.png]

Astrophysicist Valerie Rapson, an outreach astronomer at the Dudley Observatory at miSci in Schenectady, explained to Albany television station WNYT why a large solar storm could disrupt life on Earth. A solar flare is an eruption on the Sun's surface, and while they are not uncommon, a large enough occurrence of flares could have a significant effect on daily life: "If we get a direct hit here on earth, it can cause our power grids to go down. It can damage our satellites," Dr. Rapson said.

Dr. Rapson's warning was echoed in the executive order, posted to the White House web site:

Space weather events, in the form of solar flares, solar energetic particles, and geomagnetic disturbances, occur regularly, some with measurable effects on critical infrastructure systems and technologies, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), satellite operations and communication, aviation, and the electrical power grid. Extreme space weather events — those that could significantly degrade critical infrastructure — could disable large portions of the electrical power grid, resulting in cascading failures that would affect key services such as water supply, healthcare, and transportation.

The largest solar storm in known history happened in 1859 and is known as the Carrington Event, named for British astronomer Richard Carrington who recorded it. But now, life on Earth is far more dependent on electrical power, and most of the daily activities we take for granted rely on an operational electrical grid, Rapson said:

[Image: 22c6971de5e8479e8584662043966f44.png]

Even in 1859, the Carrington Event caused visible effects. Scientists told National Geographic in 2011 that "people in the northeastern U.S. could read newspaper print just from the light of the aurora" caused by the event, while telegraph operators noticed sparks flying from their machines, enough in some cases to cause fires:

[Image: d1b1e40292b941139d56a2efa77260d8.png]

Source

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(10-16-2016, 07:11 AM)senona Wrote: A little more about solar flares and their effect on our power grid, hence the signing of the EO, which is mentioned here as well.

Quote:On 13 October 2016, President Barack Obama issued an executive order aimed at preparing the nation's infrastructure for "extreme space weather events" that could potentially be powerful enough to wreak havoc on essential electrical grids:

[Image: 5ccb34ad286545cc87a7150d486c7769.png]

Astrophysicist Valerie Rapson, an outreach astronomer at the Dudley Observatory at miSci in Schenectady, explained to Albany television station WNYT why a large solar storm could disrupt life on Earth. A solar flare is an eruption on the Sun's surface, and while they are not uncommon, a large enough occurrence of flares could have a significant effect on daily life: "If we get a direct hit here on earth, it can cause our power grids to go down. It can damage our satellites," Dr. Rapson said.

Dr. Rapson's warning was echoed in the executive order, posted to the White House web site:

Space weather events, in the form of solar flares, solar energetic particles, and geomagnetic disturbances, occur regularly, some with measurable effects on critical infrastructure systems and technologies, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), satellite operations and communication, aviation, and the electrical power grid. Extreme space weather events — those that could significantly degrade critical infrastructure — could disable large portions of the electrical power grid, resulting in cascading failures that would affect key services such as water supply, healthcare, and transportation.

The largest solar storm in known history happened in 1859 and is known as the Carrington Event, named for British astronomer Richard Carrington who recorded it. But now, life on Earth is far more dependent on electrical power, and most of the daily activities we take for granted rely on an operational electrical grid, Rapson said:

[Image: 22c6971de5e8479e8584662043966f44.png]

Even in 1859, the Carrington Event caused visible effects. Scientists told National Geographic in 2011 that "people in the northeastern U.S. could read newspaper print just from the light of the aurora" caused by the event, while telegraph operators noticed sparks flying from their machines, enough in some cases to cause fires:

[Image: d1b1e40292b941139d56a2efa77260d8.png]

Source

That's right and those Gen X'ers and Millennian's will go Nuts!
They wouldn't be able to Function.
Their Nightmare, My Pleasure To Watch!
@"Guohua"

Quote:That's right and those Gen X'ers and Millennian's will go Nuts!

I'm stocked up on candles, blankets, food, water, and a whole room full of books to read, plus all the other necessities to last over a couple of months.

I'm as prepared as I can be for such an event, but I'm with you on the the younger ones going crazy. 
What will they ever do when they suddenly have to look up from their cell phones?   tinywhat
(10-16-2016, 04:32 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: @"Guohua"

Quote:That's right and those Gen X'ers and Millennian's will go Nuts!

I'm stocked up on candles, blankets, food, water, and a whole room full of books to read, plus all the other necessities to last over a couple of months.

I'm as prepared as I can be for such an event, but I'm with you on the the younger ones going crazy. 
What will they ever do when they suddenly have to look up from their cell phones?   tinywhat
They'll be nearly Blind from the Brightness of their cell phone and ipod screens.
They may even be shocked to learn that Real Life Is Not A Youtube Video and there's No Re-Do's.
Might even Realize that there are other flesh and blood people right in front of them!