Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airline Troubles
I gave up flying a number of years back. I only fly if I absolutely have to.

Now the only way you will get me on a plane is if it is life or death.

I have had four friends that had their flights cancels in the last month. One was so delayed for a family wedding that they had to rent a car and drive.

I am not paying that kind of money to roll the dice for my flight.

After watching these videos from YouTube showing some of the encounters, I definitely do not want this experience.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Didn't we give the airlines $50+ billion a while back so they didn't cut air crews, cut ground crews, park planes, etc.? But that's exactly what many airlines did. So where did the money go? 

Now with demand back up after the "covid apocalypse" they are so tight, one thunderstorm, one broken plane, or some sick pilots and the whole thing cascades into a mess. 

But I am with you on not flying. Even before this all started. It's not only not fun, it's down right maddening. I can't even blame the airlines fully for that. TSA are like the DMV of the airport. And the flying public are generally imbeciles. Then you get scrunched in a tube with them for hours, no thanks. 

Driving is a pain but I am on my own. It's quiet if I want it quiet. I can make the temperature what I want. I can listen to whatever I want to without interruption. And if I want to take the scenic route, so be it. Call me a fuddy duddy but I am good with it.
(06-28-2022, 07:24 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Didn't we give the airlines $50+ billion a while back so they didn't cut air crews, cut ground crews, park planes, etc.? But that's exactly what many airlines did. So where did the money go? 

Now with demand back up after the "covid apocalypse" they are so tight, one thunderstorm, one broken plane, or some sick pilots and the whole thing cascades into a mess. 

But I am with you on not flying. Even before this all started. It's not only not fun, it's down right maddening. I can't even blame the airlines fully for that. TSA are like the DMV of the airport. And the flying public are generally imbeciles. Then you get scrunched in a tube with them for hours, no thanks. 

Driving is a pain but I am on my own. It's quiet if I want it quiet. I can make the temperature what I want. I can listen to whatever I want to without interruption. And if I want to take the scenic route, so be it. Call me a fuddy duddy but I am good with it.

Yes we did. And just like with everything else, our government has plenty of billions to be handing out to all of their pet projects and lobbyist, while leaving their honest, hardworking citizens, with over priced gas, shortages of food they can barely afford, and with the looming threat of losing their residencies, to the corporate greedy machine.

Flying has become extremely stressful, in some cases dangerous, pricey, and with no guarantee you will even get a seat after subjecting yourself to all the madness.

Like you. I just take my time, drive, and enjoy the sights. When I was a little girl, my parents would take us on a long Sunday drive. Just to see the sights, relax, and enjoy our time together, so I don't mind driving one bit. I am actually used to it.

• minusculebeercheers 

Haven't flown in years, though Kdog flew out to Idaho to meet one of our daughters and drive back with her last summer. It's too damned expensive and CROWDED! And once the "Real ID" requirement to fly goes into effect forget about it! We're not doing that bullshit.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(06-28-2022, 08:14 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Haven't flown in years, though Kdog flew out to Idaho to meet one of our daughters and drive back with her last summer. It's too damned expensive and CROWDED! And once the "Real ID" requirement to fly goes into effect forget about it! We're not doing that bullshit.

They now are telling people that they should be at the airport three hours before their flight. With all the delays and the inconveniences, it is faster for some people to drive anyway.

And a hell of a lot cheaper.

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-28-2022, 06:51 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I gave up flying a number of years back. I only fly if I absolutely have to.

Now the only way you will get me on a plane is if it is life or death.

I have had four friends that had their flights cancels in the last month. One was so delayed for a family wedding that they had to rent a car and drive.

I am not paying that kind of money to roll the dice for my flight.

After watching these videos from YouTube showing some of the encounters, I definitely do not want this experience.

Holy crap! I can't even imagine! I watched the entire video and was just amazed. I think anyone who works customer service in anything deserves respect. These airline employees are saints. I feel so much for the customers too. I'd be as pissed as they are. To me, if I paid for something, I expect to get it, immediately. Not to be bumped off for someone else. Now I have a new series I want to watch. This is so interesting.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
I just talked to a friend who returned from the USA one week ago. $300 a night for hotel rooms rent a car 500 for three days Two Burger king whoppers with onion rings and a bottle of water $41 dollars...the whoppers were in Hawaii but still !! He and his wife will not be going back....ever....  Three cancelled flights and more hotel rooms... Some of the airlines fired pilots who would not get the jab... looks like some of that has bitten them in the butt and bottom line.  Federal workers which includes the FAA did the same thing so they too are short handed... I do not think things will return to pre-covid times anytime soon. There is a big pilot shortage supposedly and qualified pilots do not grow on trees; probably why they want people who can push a button instead of fly an airplane...

So how much longer before TSHTF ? as in history no food usually means pissed off people who get rather riled up at the drop of a hat, not to mention crime... at least before they, the hungry, get to weak from lack of food...

With another friend who sold his airplane 5 months ago.... he is glad as aviation fuel at his airport in now $7.50 a gallon...That takes the fun out of flying.
Whenever I see OP's like this one, I can only say to myself..."Oh, the stories I could tell!!!"

The things I've seen over the 35 years in this business of aviation are just staggering.  And when I see what's going on today, coupled with knowing what is going on behind the scenes, I just honestly can't believe anyone flies at all anymore.  If it's not more than 3 hours from wheels-up to on-blocks...I'm drivin'!!!

Flying anymore is just "Misery on a Stick" as far as I'm concerned.
(06-30-2022, 07:00 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Whenever I see OP's like this one, I can only say to myself..."Oh, the stories I could tell!!!"

The things I've seen over the 35 years in this business of aviation are just staggering.  And when I see what's going on today, coupled with knowing what is going on behind the scenes, I just honestly can't believe anyone flies at all anymore.  If it's not more than 3 hours from wheels-up to on-blocks...I'm drivin'!!!

Flying anymore is just "Misery on a Stick" as far as I'm concerned.

And it keeps getting worse.

They say that you should have backup plans if you plan to fly.

Doesn't sound very wise to me. Why pay all that money on a maybe, waste all that time, when you still end up having to find another mode of transportation to get where you want to go.

I would think that flying would be the last option, not the first.

Being willing to subject yourself to this kind of insanity and disrespect, screams that you are mere tools. You obviously don't value yourself, or your money, so why should they treat you any differently?

Remember, you teach people how to treat you.

• minusculebeercheers 

One other thing to consider IMO: The greenies want aviation banned as aircraft are death spewing CO2 emitters so subversively they make flying expensive and miserable. Kinda like gas for cars...make it to expensive to drive, problem solved, and mother earth is a happy bitch !
(07-01-2022, 12:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: One other thing to consider IMO: The greenies want aviation banned as aircraft are death spewing CO2 emitters so subversively they make flying expensive and miserable. Kinda like gas for cars...make it to expensive to drive, problem solved, and mother earth is a happy bitch !

Or just an off handed way to restrict travel.

Make it too costly and too much of an inconvenience to fly. Make it too costly to drive. Make it way too long and inconvenient to travel by train, and scare the poop out of folks with fears of derailing, so what do folk do?

They stay home like good little doobies. Making it much easier for them to keep tabs on us. That way they don't have worry about us physically socializing in person. Want to see the face of a loved one. Fire up Zoom, or Face Time.

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-01-2022, 12:49 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 12:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: One other thing to consider IMO: The greenies want aviation banned as aircraft are death spewing CO2 emitters so subversively they make flying expensive and miserable. Kinda like gas for cars...make it to expensive to drive, problem solved, and mother earth is a happy bitch !

Or just an off handed way to restrict travel.

Make it too costly and too much of an inconvenience to fly. Make it too costly to drive. Make it way too long and inconvenient to travel by train, and scare the poop out of folks with fears of derailing, so what do folk do?

They stay home like good little doobies. Making it much easier for them to keep tabs on us. That way they don't have worry about us physically socializing in person. Want to see the face of a loved one. Fire up Zoom, or Face Time.

You make a good point. God, I hate Zoom and Face Time so much! If I never had to use either again, I’d be perfectly okay with it. I won’t use either under any circumstances. I’ve had enough. The thing is that most Americans aren’t good little sheep. We like to be rebellious and do whatever the hell we want, regardless of the circumstances. So making transportation a travail isn’t gonna change behavior much. The roads are packed where I’m at, the airports are packed, and people continue to revenge travel. 

Even during the worst of covid, I didn’t stay home. I went walking, biking all the time to get out of the house. I’d go on long drives and not stop anywhere. So while some things changed, I couldn’t stand just sitting around the house. That would have driven me batshit. I still ran around, still was able to avoid people.
And the pilots are revolting.

• minusculebeercheers 

Okay. This is does not happen on every flight, and I have no idea how far back this compilation goes, and there are lots more, unfortunately, but the image of the "ugly Americans", seems to have exploded.

I worked yesterday, and I was glad that I only had one case, but it is usually two to three days after a holiday, that we get the most cases.  I ran into a situation yesterday that reinforced this ugly view of some American people. Rudeness, snarkiness, selfishness, and demanding behaviors are way too frequent. Too many people are addicted to the drama. They perform for the cameras, and the uglier the behavior, the more likely they are to get that viral video. Their 15 seconds of fame.

This ugly behavior will continue, because it is accepted and rewarded. I wish this behavior was restricted to just the airlines. It is not. It is everywhere. You are very likely to run into it at one time or another.

Words of advice.

Do not engage.
Do not feed into it.
If possible, walk away.
If not possible to walk away, call the person in charge or the police.

I think trying to deescalate the situation is very likely to enhance the problem.

In my case last night. The police were already there. They too decided the best thing to do was to allow the situation to deescalate on its own. Because the person was not harming themselves or anyone else, and the worse thing they could be charged with was trespassing, and then only if a complaint was may by the business workers or owners. I was the worker, and while very annoyed, I did not want to make a complaint.

I could tell the person was itching for a fight. By all of us ignoring them. They left on their own accord. No drama. We were not worth the effort.

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-05-2022, 06:57 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Okay. This is does not happen on every flight, and I have no idea how far back this compilation goes, and there are lots more, unfortunately, but the image of the "ugly Americans", seems to have exploded.

I worked yesterday, and I was glad that I only had one case, but it is usually two to three days after a holiday, that we get the most cases.  I ran into a situation yesterday that reinforced this ugly view of some American people. Rudeness, snarkiness, selfishness, and demanding behaviors are way too frequent. Too many people are addicted to the drama. They perform for the cameras, and the uglier the behavior, the more likely they are to get that viral video. Their 15 seconds of fame.

This ugly behavior will continue, because it is accepted and rewarded. I wish this behavior was restricted to just the airlines. It is not. It is everywhere. You are very likely to run into it at one time or another.

Words of advice.

Do not engage.
Do not feed into it.
If possible, walk away.
If not possible to walk away, call the person in charge or the police.

I think trying to deescalate the situation is very likely to enhance the problem.

In my case last night. The police were already there. They too decided the best thing to do was to allow the situation to deescalate on its own. Because the person was not harming themselves or anyone else, and the worse thing they could be charged with was trespassing, and then only if a complaint was may by the business workers or owners. I was the worker, and while very annoyed, I did not want to make a complaint.

I could tell the person was itching for a fight. By all of us ignoring them. They left on their own accord. No drama. We were not worth the effort.

Holy cow! Fortunately none of the flights I've been on have had people like that. Seeing the video, I wanted to tase these people. Just nasty. Another thing I don't understand is why these airports all have bars. I don't think there should be anyone selling any alcohol at an airport. Many times, people just get so piss drunk that they start acting like total assholes. Now I know there are fearful fliers out there who probably need something to relax them before getting on a flight. I never ever drank any alcohol before or during a flight. I had a little bottle of Ativan, and I'd pop a couple of them before getting on the plane. So much better than drinking alcohol. 

Seeing that video compilation is one of many reasons I won't fly anywhere anymore. Not worth the stress. And I think any passenger who acts like these people did should be on a damn no fly list for every airline. There is no excuse for behaving like that. It's just disgusting.

Where I used to work, at my county mental health clinic, they always told us receptionists that we had to deescalate situations with clients. We got minimal training, and none of us had psychology degrees. Several of the clinicians and therapists did, but not us. Since we were on the front lines so to speak, we got to deal with all kinds of fun stuff (heavy sarcasm font here). People would come in falling down drunk, stoned, strung out, in withdrawal, and out of their minds. We didn't have adequate training to deal with this stuff. 

We were told if things got bad to call a supervisor/therapist/clinician/nurse practioner/doctor. Yep, nobody would answer their goddamn phones because they heard what was going on up front and didn't want to deal with it. They basically hung us out to dry. We were threatened with bodily harm by clients, called every name in the book, screamed at, spit at, had stuff thrown at us. We had the non emergency police on speed dial, but were told to do that as a last resort. I wound up doing it a couple of times because I had no help and no back up. It's one of the reasons I retired early. My mental health was hanging by a thread, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I have no idea how these poor airline employees cope with this. How awful.
In my day of flying I think I removed 3 passengers total and spoke to two more that understood if they could not act properly I would have them removed ( We used to leave the cockpit and handle stuff the flight attendants could not.)  Later with the secure cockpit procedures a flight attendant would tell me they could not handle someone and "Boom" off they went with security. Never had a problem in flight after the secure cockpit door procedure was instituted that I can remember.

That was with over 25 years of commercial flying. I did kick a guy off in New Orleans when we had left Houston for Orlando Florida. He was a red headed druggie going to see his girlfriend in Orlando. I even met the girl friend and told her we had done her a favor by kicking him off the plane. She said she had thought he had kicked the drugs and that was why she had agreed to meet him.. Nice girl who deserved better than that POS.
Lightbulb 
I found this article, interesting, troubling, and a bit condescending.

Quote:A One-Hour Layover Is Not Enough Anymore’: A Flight Attendant’s Tips on Surviving Travel Now. 

ww.nytimes.com/2022/07/08/travel/travel-tips-flight-attendant.html

The airlines expects you to be grateful for whatever service you get, even when you don't get what you paid for.

They want you to be patient, nice, and joyful,  about their lack of concern for the paying customer's inconvenience, while they punish you for paying less to save money from the high  exorbitant fares they are charging. 

All because of decisions they made to save themselves money.

How does it go, dance for me, move for me, and when you are done, I'll have you do it all again?

Following the Pied Piper, following blindly like lemmings, willing puppets, willing slaves, salivating at the ring of a bell; pick one.

Still think we are "free"?

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-09-2022, 03:02 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I found this article, interesting, troubling, and a bit condescending.

Quote:A One-Hour Layover Is Not Enough Anymore’: A Flight Attendant’s Tips on Surviving Travel Now. 

The airlines expects you to be grateful for whatever service you get, even when you don't get what you paid for.

They want you to be patient, nice, and joyful,  about their lack of concern for the paying customer's inconvenience, while they punish you for paying less to save money from the high  exorbitant fares they are charging. 

How does it go, dance for me, move for me, and when you are done, I'll have you do it all again?

Following the Pied Piper, following blindly like lemmings, willing puppets, willing slaves, salivating at the ring of a bell; pick one.

The article you linked wants my email to read it. Nope. I get enough spam as it is.

I'm sure if I was able to read it, I'd agree with you on this. Why should I want to travel what is basically a cattle car and get treated like that, paying ridiculous prices? I'm better off driving and staying in nice hotels. It would take longer, but would be less stress in the end.
(07-09-2022, 03:02 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I found this article, interesting, troubling, and a bit condescending.

The insanity just never ends. This is why I avoid the commercial airlines and drive myself or just don't travel. If you have the $$, charter a private jet and hire 727Sky to take you.

minusculebeercheers

What happened to the $54 billion??
[Image: SF5rw9P.jpg]

Quote:“I Form The Light and Create Darkness”

One of the topics I had prepared to dive deeper on is what frameworks of understanding we bring to this moment. I spoke about the deliberate and ongoing attempts to crash and great reset ‘green transition’ the economy that won’t actually let up until the conditions get so bad that they provoke widespread civil unrest and then, later in the decade, the total collapse of governance.

Part of this process is an abrupt shrinking of air travel. They actually don’t want you travelling at all without permission but -other than private jet owners like John Kerry- they rarely come out and say it. And as I said on the forecast episode, having just been travelling continuously for the last three months, I’ve seen it get worse and worse just in that time. One of the things I comfort myself with when something inevitably goes wrong is that today is the best that travel is going to ever be, because tomorrow will be worse, and the next day will be worse than that, and so on.

So I actually do want to share some of what I called the magic of reframing in my notes for the forecast episode. I have already processed as much of the horror around the end of the west and the looming deaths of millions in the previous two years whilst imprisoned in my country. If processing horror and disappointment has suddenly landed on your holiday weekend to-do list, I invite you to sit with the reality that horror is also divine:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    ISAIAH 45:7

So these are the unstoppable 5+ year trends I wanted to mention in the show. These are just going to happen. They are not forecasts or takes, they are all already in play and will reach their ultimate conclusions:
Whole article worth a read & the Jimmy Dore clips.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(07-09-2022, 09:17 PM)ChiefD Wrote:

The article you linked wants my email to read it. Nope. I get enough spam as it is.

I'm sure if I was able to read it, I'd agree with you on this. Why should I want to travel what is basically a cattle car and get treated like that, paying ridiculous prices? I'm better off driving and staying in nice hotels. It would take longer, but would be less stress in the end.

Sorry. I never would have linked it if I knew that.

It did not ask me for an email.  Wonder why that is. 

I will try to post it.

• minusculebeercheers