Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What will the Millennials do,,,,,
(10-30-2021, 05:44 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 11:27 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Great stuff. A matter of when, not if. 

I was watching another video (of course I can't find it now) talking about how the Carrington Event is small potatoes in the grand scheme of solar ejections. Plenty of evidence of much more powerful events in ancient tree rings, coral, etc. 

Millennials? It will be a rough time for everybody but them especially. They do not know a world outside of the internet and all it entails.

Survival instinct is stronger than we think.

I have been watching GOES for years. It is just a matter of time. It has happened before. We survived because we did not rely on electricity.

I live in the woods. I had to pay for my own electric and telephone pole. I have gone over three months without electricity. It will not be the end of the world.

People will adjust fairly quickly, if they don't then they will not make it.

Spot on.
Thumbs Down 
(10-31-2021, 02:46 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 11:59 PM)Nomnomine Wrote: I'm a millennial. I know how to fish, hunt, trap, etc. I have minimal social media presence. I can build a shelter and a fire. Like we don't know how to code break, devise tactics, fight, feed, breed, what have you... Millennials are nearing their 40s and you still speak like we're children. Like we haven't fought our wars or gone through our own economical turmoil. Yeah. It's only you. The ones who criticize us are the most prosperous in human history. How horrible it must've been. See how that feels? Because that took sacrifice. At least you got some spoils.

What would I do? It depends. Could we survive? Without a doubt. Maybe weed out some soy boys in the process unless they had the balls to help a common cause. It doesn't take much to contribute. The real question is: in case of a Carrington event, what government is justified?

My son is a millennial, so, yeah, y'all are kinda like our kids to some of us, literally! ROFLMFAO!

He knows how to hunt, fish, trap plant, fight, and survive, too. And he already has his own patch of ground to do it all on, so he'll get by as well. I did what I could to make sure he had the necessary skills, and the rest was all on him - and he's come through with flying colors.

But I'm certain as can be that you and he are in the minority of millennials. Most I have met have no idea which end wags and which end bites, and too many of them think steak and eggs are generated in styrofoam trays at a grocery store. No doubt millennials have had sacrifices - it's all part of living, isn't it? - but their sacrifices and ours were different. Not better, not worse, just different. Ours prepared us to go it without technology if necessary, although there are a fair number of boomers who can't get that done, either. Our parents generation was probably the last that had to do such things on the daily as a population, not us. Not most of us, anyhow. Some of us did, but not many. I was one who grew up without indoor plumbing, cutting and splitting my own fire wood to heat as a necessity, and reading by a coal oil lamp at night. But like you, I was in a minority even then.

Since you have the skills, now it is incumbent upon you to pass those down to YOUR kids, just as I did, just as my dad did, and just as my son is now doing. Always remember, though, that you can teach them the skills, but it is up to THEM to take those lessons to heart and apply them. What is going on here now is not much different from my dad's generation telling us "JAY-zuz! We buy yer books and send you to school, an' all ya wanna do is eat yer fuckin' teacher!" It a generational thing that has been going on at least since the days of Plato - welcome to the club!

And one day, if you are lucky, you too will reach the age where you find yourself saying "KIDS these days!" 

smallrofl

In the case of a Carrington Event, damned little government is justified. Some one to keep order is about it, because the sort of government we have now will be in the same boots as the rest of us - unable to do anything for us that we can't do for ourselves. It would most likely be every community for itself, and the Devil take the hindmost.
We've opted out of having children. Unless we have an accident. It's in the cards. We're just the crazy aunt and uncle with no responsibility who challenge the nieces and nephews to survive the worst parts of society and their worst fears. BTW, KIDS these days. Pull you head out of your flying scooter phones and think. My family luckily has money. I don't. Money only goes so far during hyperinflation and unrest. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Thank God I finally own land now. All paid off.
The Solar Storm did hit Phoenix, AZ. last night at around 9:PM until about 10:30 PM.

It may have lasted longer, I gave up and went to bed.

The internet was total Shit, my neighbors using the Digital Antennas for TV lost their pictures or use Froze.
Our cell phones had problems.

We didn't see any of the Aurora  or Northern Lights.
I'm kind of disappointed, was hoping for more disruption.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(10-31-2021, 03:35 PM)Nomnomine Wrote: We've opted out of having children. Unless we have an accident. It's in the cards. We're just the crazy aunt and uncle with no responsibility who challenge the nieces and nephews to survive the worst parts of society and their worst fears. BTW, KIDS these days. Pull you head out of your flying scooter phones and think. My family luckily has money. I don't. Money only goes so far during hyperinflation and unrest. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Thank God I finally own land now. All paid off.

Nieces and nephews count! I've ruined untold nieces and nephews - one of them is homesteading in Alaska of all places now. That wouldn't have been my first choice of survival locations, but I ain't him. Part of "passing on the knowledge" is teaching them how to think for themselves, and make their own decisions, even if those decisions are not the ones you would make. That's sort of the essence of "independent thought", now ain't it?  Even if you don't pass on the genes, pass on the knowledge!

Money has very limited value, but know-how does not. One of the things that made me who I am today was the Great Depression, and I didn't live through it - but my dad did, and passed those lessons on. Money can not be relied upon, because other folks control it, to their advantage, not ours.

Congrats on the land - you're ahead of the game. With that, and the know-how to use it, there really isn't much else you NEED - everything else is just a want. My son is in the same situation - has land, knows what to do with it. Last time I went to visit, he killed a deer while we were just walking and talking on his patch.

A wise man once told me that you are not truly rich until you possess something money cannot buy. Peace of mind is one of those things.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(10-31-2021, 05:01 PM)guohua Wrote: The Solar Storm did hit Phoenix, AZ. last night at around 9:PM until about 10:30 PM.

It may have lasted longer, I gave up and went to bed.

The internet was total Shit, my neighbors using the Digital Antennas for TV lost their pictures or use Froze.
Our cell phones had problems.

We didn't see any of the Aurora  or Northern Lights.
I'm kind of disappointed, was hoping for more disruption.

Thanks for the update. I have been looking for some info. Yours is the first I have found.

I didn't imagine it would be too disruptive, because they had not created an event that required troops in the streets.

I am perhaps wrong, but if they had expected something to really pop off, they would have made a better effort to have in place the means to control us useless eaters.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers