Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What will the Millennials do,,,,,
What would the young generation do if we had a Carrington-class solar storm soon?
Their would would be turned upside down, they could not use Google Maps or watch youtube or blog.
Many of them don't even know what or understand what the Northern Lights are.
Quote:Halloween solar flare headed for Earth could disrupt power grid

The sun launched a massive solar flare yesterday that’s headed in Earth’s direction – the strongest storm seen in the current weather cycle.

The volley of radiation may trigger the northern lights if it collides with our atmosphere, and could cause major issues for power grids, experts suggest.

NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, which tracks the Sun’s activity, captured an image of the event at 11:35 a.m. EST (4:35 p.m. BST) on Thursday.
It has already caused a temporary, but strong, radio blackout in parts of South America, according to the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC).
Source

Watch them run down to their Mommies Basement and Cry.

Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I have mentioned that I have a friend, Franklin Horton, who is an author. One of the series he writes is the "Way of Dan" series, the basic premise of which is just such an event. By coincidence, I am half way through the first of the two volumes currently in that series right now.

Franklin thought it through pretty well, and considered the ramifications.

No more phones. Since the world has moved to cell phones, the towers would be fried as well as the electronics of the phones themselves. I had a little taste of that in 2003, in the aftermath of Hurricane Isabelle, when i was sent to eastern North Carolina to provide security for the relief efforts. They issued cell phones to all of the security personnel to be able to maintain communications, only to find that NONE of the towers were functional, so the cell phones themselves were utterly useless. We were on our own wherever we were sent, no way to call for help or backup when things got ugly.

Transportation. Since most vehicles now are computer controlled, once that EMP burst travels through the wiring and fries the controlling computer, the cars are useless. That circumstance factors in just a little later, too. All traffic is then on foot, or by horse or mule. How many people still have horses to travel on?

With the power grid down, refrigeration no longer works, either. Everything in your refrigerator and freezer that you cannot eat immediately will spoil. After Isabelle, I was stationed in a little podunk crossroads farming community named Hobbsville in eastern NC. Those farmers knew what time it was - everyone emptied their freezers and refrigerators, and we had a great community feed to try to eat it all before it spoiled.

However, in the event of a solar flare induced massive grid failure, what do you do when all your stored food is gone? You can't just drive down to the store, as you have no car any more. If you somehow DID manage to get to a store, you'd be greeted by empty shelves anyhow. Our "just in time" distribution system guarantees that, as there would be no moving trucks to make deliveries to stores "just in time" any more. If you think that what is happening right now with the distribution system choking for lack of transport is a problem, just imagine what it would be like with NO transport available at all.

What would you buy food with, anyhow? All that money you had stored as bits and bytes in a computerized bank account - where did that money go when the computer containing it fried?

What about when someone tries to break into your house to take your stuff because all of theirs is gone? You can't just call a cop to round them up any more. Your phones aren't working, and the cop cars aren't running anyhow. You are on your own, just like we were after Isabelle. Worse, really, since cars are not able to move any more, so no random patrols are going to roll around to help you out.

Maybe you can wait for them to get the grid back up, eh? Nope. Power companies do not stockpile the delicate, fryable equipment necessary to keep the grid running in anywhere even near the quantity that would be required to replace EVERYTHING, all at once. The vast majority of it would have to be manufactured, from scratch... but how are the manufacturers going to do that when they don't have any power, either? Just how many years are you willing to wait for power to be restored?

None of your GPS's work any more, either. I don't know many millennials able to use a map and compass any more. They all rely on GPS, and when GPS is gone, they are just lost.

What about if it last long enough (and it would be likely to) for all your ammunition to be depleted? How are you going to hunt food, or defend yourself, then?

The list is literally endless, and millennials are simply not prepared or geared to handle it. Hell, most Baby Boomers aren't either, for that matter.

This old world could get pretty ugly, pretty quickly when current "the world owes me" entitlement attitudes collide with an utter loss of all the technology necessary to support those attitudes.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Great stuff. A matter of when, not if. 

I was watching another video (of course I can't find it now) talking about how the Carrington Event is small potatoes in the grand scheme of solar ejections. Plenty of evidence of much more powerful events in ancient tree rings, coral, etc. 

Millennials? It will be a rough time for everybody but them especially. They do not know a world outside of the internet and all it entails.
(10-29-2021, 11:27 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Great stuff. A matter of when, not if. 

I was watching another video (of course I can't find it now) talking about how the Carrington Event is small potatoes in the grand scheme of solar ejections. Plenty of evidence of much more powerful events in ancient tree rings, coral, etc. 

Millennials? It will be a rough time for everybody but them especially. They do not know a world outside of the internet and all it entails.

Yup, Millennials will need to find a leader not afraid to leave the Basement, this person will be the one us older people will be looking to Take Off The World Count so it'll be safer for us to roam meet and gather food.
Like @"Ninurta" stated more or less, they can be dangerous with the right leadership.
Keep your powder dry and a round in the pipe.
Stay locked and loaded in other words.

Most of us can find North,South, East and West without electronic aides or a compass.
(10-29-2021, 11:27 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Great stuff. A matter of when, not if. 

Survival instinct is stronger than we think.

I have been watching GOES for years. It is just a matter of time. It has happened before. We survived because we did not rely on electricity.

I live in the woods. I had to pay for my own electric and telephone pole. I have gone over three months without electricity. It will not be the end of the world.

People will adjust fairly quickly, if they don't then they will not make it.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(10-30-2021, 05:44 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: People will adjust fairly quickly, if they don't then they will not make it.

That right there may be the plainest fact I have ever seen on the internet.

A lot will not make it, because they can't. They are not geared for it, mentally. They have come to have far too much reliance on modern tech, and have not been able to ass themselves enough to learn about more primitive tech. Others, who think the world owes them, do not have the mindset to survive without being parasites. I can think of at least one, right off the top of my head, who will not survive the first week of such an event. I personally guarantee his non-survival. The first time I see him, he will be done. No questions asked, no conversation had. Just done.

Other folks are better at working together. They will be the survivors. Folks who know nothing is free, and not everything belongs to them but will have to be traded for, have a chance. Trade routes and markets will happen. Workers, suppliers, and consumers will work out deals on a local scale, deals that will spread through the network.

But some folks, no. Just no. A shallow trench and dirt in their face is all they have to look forward to, whatever they think right now. Some think they are badasses, warlords, and the like, and they are legends in their own minds. The first real badass they run into will settle their hash forthwith.

Cooperation and trade are the routes to survival. just taking what you want, contrary to post apocalyptic movies, is the route to oblivion and the end. A lot of city folks, and some rural wannabe badasses, with find that out post haste, to their detriment.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(10-30-2021, 08:07 AM)Ninurta Wrote: But some folks, no. Just no. A shallow trench and dirt in their face is all they have to look forward to, whatever they think right now. Some think they are badasses, warlords, and the like, and they are legends in their own minds. The first real badass they run into will settle their hash forthwith.

Cooperation and trade are the routes to survival. just taking what you want, contrary to post apocalyptic movies, is the route to oblivion and the end. A lot of city folks, and some rural wannabe badasses, with find that out post haste, to their detriment.

Exactly. I have attended a few community meetings where folk are trying to get together, to organize networking groups, to weather the storms that we all know are approaching. I have found it easy to weed out those that will be useless, and those you want in your network.

The ones that waste time talking smack and regurgitating a bunch crap they have consumed from the internet, I stay far away from. I don't go to the meeting to hear political views, and in person parroting of talking heads. I would have stayed home with my keyboard it that was what I was looking for.

When the SHTF, survival is the goal. We won't have time to think about left, right, or sideways. It is about straight up survival, we can pick up the petty BS, after the storm has past.

In the mean time, I agree, it would be foolish to waste resources on badasses, war lords, and those that are legends in their own mind.

I am pretty good at helping people find their hidden skills, so if I send you packing, then it is because I can't help you learn to help yourself. I know it sounds harsh, and heartless, but I vehemently agree that the best thing for a lot of groups, will be to have a few shallow trenches.

• minusculebeercheers 

(10-30-2021, 02:11 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 08:07 AM)Ninurta Wrote: But some folks, no. Just no. A shallow trench and dirt in their face is all they have to look forward to, whatever they think right now. Some think they are badasses, warlords, and the like, and they are legends in their own minds. The first real badass they run into will settle their hash forthwith.

Exactly. I have attended a few community meetings where folk are trying to get together, to organize networking groups, to weather the storms that we all know are approaching. I have found it easy to weed out those that will be useless, and those you want in your network.

The ones that waste time talking smack and regurgitating a bunch crap they have consumed from the internet, I stay far away from. I don't go to the meeting to hear political views, and in person parroting of talking heads. I would have stayed home with my keyboard it that was what I was looking for.

When the SHTF, survival is the goal. We won't have time to think about left, right, or sideways. It is about straight up survival, we can pick up the petty BS, after the storm has past.

In the mean time, I agree, it would be foolish to waste resources on badasses, war lords, and those that are legends in their own mind.

I am pretty good at helping people find their hidden skills, so if I send you packing, then it is because I can't help you learn to help yourself. I know it sounds harsh, and heartless, but I vehemently agree that the best thing for a lot of groups, will be to have a few shallow trenches.

Folks who demonstrate a proclivity to just take what is not theirs, and an inability to cooperate, in the best of times will not improve their demeanor when times get rough. I expect places like San Francisco will be depopulated forthwith. If one will loot a Walgreens in broad daylight when times are relatively easy, he's not suddenly going to become a model citizen and a paragon of virtue when everything slides sideways.

Best to shoot 'em as soon as you see 'em, and prevent trouble on down the road that's sure to come if you don't. If you let 'em get a toehold. well, that's how petty warlords get started.

When is halloween ? tinybigeyes

Can anyone confirm that the flare is coming directly to earth? Because it matters.....
If the Millennials are smart, creative and actually giving the idea of preparing for such an event some consideration, they could preserve their world of electronics to some degree.

If they are walking the walk in regards to green energy by using a closed system like solar panels and a battery bank, they will have electricity when the grid is down. If they have an understanding of networking, they could establish a mesh-net WiFi network with the devices they had the foresight to protect from EMP damage.

Gamers are aware of how to create a local network to play multi-player games and have top performing computer systems, so they could adapt if they had the smarts to plan ahead and protect all that equipment. With normalcy bias though, I doubt many smart Millennials think that way and will be pretty lost when the SHTF.
(10-30-2021, 03:36 PM)Kenzo Wrote: When is halloween ? tinybigeyes

Can anyone confirm that the flare is coming directly to earth? Because it matters.....

Many of The Watchers, say yes.

• minusculebeercheers 

@"guohua" 

Quote:Yup, Millennials will need to find a leader not afraid to leave the Basement, this person will be the one us older people

Sounds right up Mr. G's alley.  minusculebiggrin

Young-ish person #1:  "Who IS that cat giving all the orders?!"

Young-ish person #2: "No idea, but he seems to know what he's doing!"

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(10-30-2021, 04:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Many of The Watchers, say yes.

Well damn tinybighuh

2021....what a Year tinywhat
(10-30-2021, 05:44 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Well damn tinybighuh

2021....what a Year tinywhat

BP Earth says you can track it.

I can wait. I like surprises. tinywondering

• minusculebeercheers 

They are saying October 31st. is the date this will hit earth.
Quote:Halloween solar flare headed for Earth could trigger Northern Lights this weekend – and disrupt power grid

THE SUN launched a massive solar flare yesterday that's headed in Earth's direction – the strongest storm seen in the current weather cycle.

The volley of radiation may trigger the northern lights if it collides with our atmosphere, and could cause major issues for power grids, experts suggest.
Quote:NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, which tracks the Sun's activity, captured an image of the event at 11:35 a.m. EST (4:35 p.m. BST) on Thursday.

It has already caused a temporary, but strong, radio blackout in parts of South America, according to the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC).

The flare is the result of a coronal mass ejection (CME) – a huge expulsion of plasma from the Sun's outer layer, called the corona.
Source
[/url]

As of yesterday they are saying this has already caused Blackouts in Parts of South America.

Quote:Auroras may be visible to stargazers in New York, Idaho, Illinois, Oregon, Maryland and Nevada.
The sun storm, a powerful [url=https://www.space.com/sun-unleashes-major-x-class-solar-flare-october-2021]X1-class solar flare
, erupted from the sun on Thursday (Oct. 28) and sent a vast cloud of charged particles toward Earth that should arrive over Halloween weekend, and possibly even the haunted day itself. Those particles will slam into the Earth's atmosphere to amplify the regular northern lights caused by the sun's solar wind.
Quote:Young said the solar flare was accompanied by a coronal mass ejection (CME), a huge eruption of radiation, that spewed solar particles away from the sun at a mind-boggling 2.5 million mph (4 million kph). 

"The current estimates for the CME are that it will reach Earth on Oct. 31," Young said. 
Link
(10-30-2021, 07:30 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: BP Earth says you can track it.

I can wait. I like surprises. tinywondering

Well that sucks. According to the video, the aurora could reach as far south as Virginia, where I am, and we are overcast and raining, so we'll miss it if it does come this far south. I saw it in Ohio once, a long time ago, ut that was considerably north of here, at about 40 degrees north.

It would piss me off to end civilization, and I don't even get to see the light show as a consolation prize!

I'm a millennial. I know how to fish, hunt, trap, etc. I have minimal social media presence. I can build a shelter and a fire. Like we don't know how to code break, devise tactics, fight, feed, breed, what have you... Millennials are nearing their 40s and you still speak like we're children. Like we haven't fought our wars or gone through our own economical turmoil. Yeah. It's only you. The ones who criticize us are the most prosperous in human history. How horrible it must've been. See how that feels? Because that took sacrifice. At least you got some spoils.

What would I do? It depends. Could we survive? Without a doubt. Maybe weed out some soy boys in the process unless they had the balls to help a common cause. It doesn't take much to contribute. The real question is: in case of a Carrington event, what government is justified?
(10-30-2021, 11:59 PM)Nomnomine Wrote: I'm a millennial. I know how to fish, hunt, trap, etc. I have minimal social media presence. I can build a shelter and a fire. Like we don't know how to code break, devise tactics, fight, feed, breed, what have you... Millennials are nearing their 40s and you still speak like we're children. Like we haven't fought our wars or gone through our own economical turmoil. Yeah. It's only you. The ones who criticize us are the most prosperous in human history. How horrible it must've been. See how that feels? Because that took sacrifice. At least you got some spoils.

What would I do? It depends. Could we survive? Without a doubt. Maybe weed out some soy boys in the process unless they had the balls to help a common cause. It doesn't take much to contribute. The real question is: in case of a Carrington event, what government is justified?
@"Nomnomine" 
DAMN, It is Nice To Meet YOU!
(10-30-2021, 11:59 PM)Nomnomine Wrote: I'm a millennial. I know how to fish, hunt, trap, etc. I have minimal social media presence. I can build a shelter and a fire. Like we don't know how to code break, devise tactics, fight, feed, breed, what have you... Millennials are nearing their 40s and you still speak like we're children. Like we haven't fought our wars or gone through our own economical turmoil. Yeah. It's only you. The ones who criticize us are the most prosperous in human history. How horrible it must've been. See how that feels? Because that took sacrifice. At least you got some spoils.

My son is a millennial, so, yeah, y'all are kinda like our kids to some of us, literally! ROFLMFAO!

He knows how to hunt, fish, trap plant, fight, and survive, too. And he already has his own patch of ground to do it all on, so he'll get by as well. I did what I could to make sure he had the necessary skills, and the rest was all on him - and he's come through with flying colors.

But I'm certain as can be that you and he are in the minority of millennials. Most I have met have no idea which end wags and which end bites, and too many of them think steak and eggs are generated in styrofoam trays at a grocery store. No doubt millennials have had sacrifices - it's all part of living, isn't it? - but their sacrifices and ours were different. Not better, not worse, just different. Ours prepared us to go it without technology if necessary, although there are a fair number of boomers who can't get that done, either. Our parents generation was probably the last that had to do such things on the daily as a population, not us. Not most of us, anyhow. Some of us did, but not many. I was one who grew up without indoor plumbing, cutting and splitting my own fire wood to heat as a necessity, and reading by a coal oil lamp at night. But like you, I was in a minority even then.

Since you have the skills, now it is incumbent upon you to pass those down to YOUR kids, just as I did, just as my dad did, and just as my son is now doing. Always remember, though, that you can teach them the skills, but it is up to THEM to take those lessons to heart and apply them. What is going on here now is not much different from my dad's generation telling us "JAY-zuz! We buy yer books and send you to school, an' all ya wanna do is eat yer fuckin' teacher!" It a generational thing that has been going on at least since the days of Plato - welcome to the club!

And one day, if you are lucky, you too will reach the age where you find yourself saying "KIDS these days!" 

smallrofl

In the case of a Carrington Event, damned little government is justified. Some one to keep order is about it, because the sort of government we have now will be in the same boots as the rest of us - unable to do anything for us that we can't do for ourselves. It would most likely be every community for itself, and the Devil take the hindmost.

It is amusing to see the media promote the idea that the 'oldies' were never young and what 'the kidz today' are
going through is somehow new. For many -and with assistance and urging from the internet, it's a given that the
world didn't exist until the millennial generation were born!

Maybe those who came before were so successful in their endeavours to make a better place to rear their young
that complacency is the problem and so artificial concerns need to be created for the release of our natural need
to strive.

Manual labour is a great tool to fortify one's spirit, body and ensures a community ethic that is held in regard.
But of course, this also creates unity and confederation isn't an good idea to those who wish to rule a divided
public.

My credo is that when shovelling shit -or dealing with life as we know it, black, white, rich, poor, gay or whatever
label one needs to feel special... the real question is will you pick up a shovel and get to work?
And to really stand out in this task, it's nice when you bring your own shovel.
tinybiggrin
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.