Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Car Question
So I bought a new car 12 months ago.   It only has 500 miles on it.  I guess I should get the oil changed anyway? 

We know next to nothing about cars.
What Brand ? My car is a Ford Escape 2018 and the dash has warning text indicating the oil change intervals. In fact, my Daughter who works at a Ford Dealership can tell 'where' I am, the speed I am traveling, air pressure, oil change need, and I don't know  what all else. All from Her keyboard. Amazing. Mine has 20K by the way. Your owners manual will have that information, or perhaps you can find it on Youtube. I would take it you are thinking in terms of 'break-in' oil, which is typically changed after initial break in. Not entirely so now days..
(04-04-2021, 03:42 PM)drussell41 Wrote: So I bought a new car 12 months ago.   It only has 500 miles on it.  I guess I should get the oil changed anyway? 

Is it brand new?  Everything I've heard is that you don't need to change the oil before 3,000 miles, and some can go to 5,000 miles.  At only 500 miles, I think you have a long way to go. 

The car I bought in 2018 is just now due for an oil change. It took me that long to put 3,000 miles on it.   tinybiggrin
I'll be odd man out here.

I would say change the oil every 1500 miles or once a year.  Change the filter, too.  It is an expense, but goes a long way to keep metal crud out of the moving parts of the car's engine.

If the filter is changed, watch under the car a few times to see if oil is occasionally dripping.  This happens if they don't lube the seal of the filter with oil or tighten the filter enough.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(04-04-2021, 04:24 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: What Brand ? My car is a Ford Escape 2018 and the dash has warning text indicating the oil change intervals. In fact, my Daughter who works at a Ford Dealership can tell 'where' I am, the speed I am traveling, air pressure, oil change need, and I don't know  what all else. All from Her keyboard. Amazing. Mine has 20K by the way. Your owners manual will have that information, or perhaps you can find it on Youtube. I would take it you are thinking in terms of 'break-in' oil, which is typically changed after initial break in. Not entirely so now days..

Yeah, it wanted me to change it after three months or something....  with 100 miles on it.  

It's a Hyundai Kona.
(04-04-2021, 04:33 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 03:42 PM)drussell41 Wrote: So I bought a new car 12 months ago.   It only has 500 miles on it.  I guess I should get the oil changed anyway? 

Is it brand new?  Everything I've heard is that you don't need to change the oil before 3,000 miles, and some can go to 5,000 miles.  At only 500 miles, I think you have a long way to go. 

The car I bought in 2018 is just now due for an oil change. It took me that long to put 3,000 miles on it.   tinybiggrin

Yeah, brand new and that's what I was thinking.   I'll probably get it done annually, tho.  I'm not sure how long oil quality stays high.  I know gasoline doesn't stay good forever.
(04-04-2021, 04:44 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: I'll be odd man out here.

I would say change the oil every 1500 miles or once a year.  Change the filter, too.  It is an expense, but goes a long way to keep metal crud out of the moving parts of the car's engine.

If the filter is changed, watch under the car a few times to see if oil is occasionally dripping.  This happens if they don't lube the seal of the filter with oil or tighten the filter enough.

Cheers

Okay.   Thanks for the warning on the filter and looking for leaks.  In my lifetime, there have been two times where the mechanics didn't tighten the seal correctly.  :(
(04-04-2021, 04:56 PM)drussell41 Wrote:

Cheers

Okay.   Thanks for the warning on the filter and looking for leaks.  In my lifetime, there have been two times where the mechanics didn't tighten the seal correctly.  :(

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/...engine-oil

Sounds like you can go 3,000 miles nowadays.  But note this sentence in the article carefully:

Quote:Note that if you do not put many miles on your car, most automakers recommend an oil change every 12 months, even if the maintenance reminder has not come on.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Simply, this is online information. One thing to consider is having the lubrication circulated through the engine to coat the internal surfaces. However it is best to arrive at full running temp to evaporate and remove any condensation that might build up with infrequent use. This will help answer your questions I hope.
  https://www.tampahyundai.com/2019-hyunda...change.htm
You can ask my Girlfriend also....
[Image: siri.webp]

SIRI
(04-04-2021, 06:48 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: You can ask my Girlfriend also....
[Image: siri.webp]

SIRI

yeah, I don't interact with that AI
(04-04-2021, 06:41 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: Simply, this is online information. One thing to consider is having the lubrication circulated through the engine to coat the internal surfaces. However it is best to arrive at full running temp to evaporate and remove any condensation that might build up with infrequent use. This will help answer your questions I hope.

I'll be getting it changed this month.  It will be one year.  It only has 500 miles, but that seems like a good compromise between changing it every 100 miles based on time versus letting it go too long, based on mileage.

So that explains why constant short trips are hard on a car.   Thanks.
(04-04-2021, 05:04 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 04:56 PM)drussell41 Wrote:

Cheers

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/...engine-oil

Sounds like you can go 3,000 miles nowadays.  But note this sentence in the article carefully:

Quote:Note that if you do not put many miles on your car, most automakers recommend an oil change every 12 months, even if the maintenance reminder has not come on.

Cheers

Thanks.   Will take it in this month.  I knew you guys would know.

IMHO, a car is a tool. The manufacturer's specification must be adhered to with documented proof of service. If this is followed you have a record of performing your obligation to maintain the warranty. This is critical as the manufacturer will look for excuses to disavow repairs. Read your maintanence schedule, follow it and have the work done by an accredited organization. Keep the records and should you find yourself in a situation where you need repairs, you will have prepared yourself by following their schedule. Anything else you do is arbitrary, capricious an d will not serve you and in fact may harm you should you find yourself in arbitration.
internet Agent Provocateur
(04-04-2021, 11:08 PM)Antisthenes Wrote:

IMHO, a car is a tool. The manufacturer's specification must be adhered to with documented proof of service. If this is followed you have a record of performing your obligation to maintain the warranty.  This is critical as the manufacturer will look for excuses to disavow repairs. Read your maintanence schedule, follow it and have the work done by an accredited organization. Keep the records and should you find yourself in a situation where you need repairs, you will have prepared yourself by following their schedule. Anything else you do is arbitrary, capricious an d will not serve you and in fact may harm you should you find yourself in arbitration.

You're 100 percent right about manufacturers shirking their responsibility whenever possible and I know I'm taking a risk, but I'm simply not changing my oil every 100 miles. Especially in a pandemic, sitting in their waiting room, having to breath through a stupid mask.
(04-04-2021, 08:08 PM)drussell41 Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 06:41 PM)PLOTUS Wrote: Simply, this is online information. One thing to consider is having the lubrication circulated through the engine to coat the internal surfaces. However it is best to arrive at full running temp to evaporate and remove any condensation that might build up with infrequent use. This will help answer your questions I hope.

I'll be getting it changed this month.  It will be one year.  It only has 500 miles, but that seems like a good compromise between changing it every 100 miles based on time versus letting it go too long, based on mileage.

So that explains why constant short trips are hard on a car.   Thanks.

one thing, don't take it back to the dealer unless it's a warranty or free maintenance. use your mechanic that you use for out of warranty work or one of the 20 min oil change places. cost is much better. some of them will even let you supply your own oil and filter. and who ever you get to do it, don't let them tell you you need to change the air, cabin or fuel filters, only 500 miles they don't need to be changed yet.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(04-05-2021, 01:47 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: one thing, don't take it back to the dealer unless it's a warranty or free maintenance. use your mechanic that you use for out of warranty work or one of the 20 min oil change places. cost is much better. some of them will even let you supply your own oil and filter. and who ever you get to do it, don't let them tell you you need to change the air, cabin or fuel filters, only 500 miles they don't need to be changed yet.

The dealer gives free maintenance for the first three years or something like that.   Otherwise, I agree; I never use them. 

Thank you so much for the info.  :)