Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blitzed: Drugs In The Third Reich - a book by Norman Ohler
The above is a book I’ve been reading for a little while now. It’s non fiction, everything in the book being true. My Dad is a huge WWII buff, me not so much. But I have been watching TV shows and reading the occasional book regarding WWII. There was so much I didn’t know regarding WWII. The thing in the book that surprised me was that the Nazi soldiers, all the way from the lowest enlisted rank to the upper echelon of officers, including Adolph Hitler himself, were taking all kinds of drugs. Many of the rank and file were given tablets called Pervitin. Back in those days that’s what they called what now is known as methamphetamine. In the earlier years of WWII, this worked very well, as the soldiers were able to stay awake and alert for days at a time without sleep. They were able to push through France like it was butter. A lot of this was before Germany declared war on the United States in 1941. There were massive warehouses where they manufactured all kinds of drugs for the German military. Among them were methamphetamine, cocaine, morphine, and other derivatives of the opium plant.

There was a doctor, Dr. Morell, who wound up becoming Hitler’s personal doctor. In 1940, this doctor used all kinds of illegal things to manufacture drugs. He even owned a drug company of his own, along with manufacturing plants. He harvested all kinds of animal organs to create doping agents. This doctor became very close to Hitler and started feeding him all kinds of drugs. Hitler wound up addicted to a form of opioids that the doctor injected into him multiple times a day. In addition, there was another doctor who swabbed Hitler’s throat and nose with liquid cocaine. By the time WWII was about to come to an end, Hitler was a mess. He secluded himself inside of bunkers and was basically stark raving mad. He wasn’t exactly stable before the drugs, but the drugs wound up being the final nail in the coffin for him. I had no idea that this happened in WWII. This is the first book I’ve read that talked about this stuff. It seems that drugs and their affects on the leaders of Germany led to their downfall in WWII. 

The book is a pretty good read, sometimes like reading fiction. The author puts together a riveting story as to what happened and how the Nazi’s tried to cover it all up. I kept looking at the beginning to make sure I was reading non fiction. It sounds almost unbelievable but is all true. When I think of how drugs utterly destroy many lives, I think history is repeating itself.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
Explanation: Cheers for bringing this book to our attention span. Well Done!

Personal Disclosure: I am a meth junkie [I inject] and hence a amateur expert on that subject. If anybody has any questions please feel free to just ask me ok.

I also hate fucking Nazi's ok.

But I am quite fine to learn from history and exploit that for my own roguish reasons.

minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(08-01-2020, 01:35 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Cheers for bringing this book to our attention span. Well Done!

Personal Disclosure: I am a meth junkie [I inject] and hence a amateur expert on that subject. If anybody has any questions please feel free to just ask me ok.

I also hate fucking Nazi's ok.

But I am quite fine to learn from history and exploit that for my own roguish reasons.

minusculebeercheers

Oh, I love that movie! That scene almost made me pee my pants.  tinybiggrin
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]