Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Times Change People Don't
This is a Rod Sterling Movie that could have been written today. It is really worth watching. It is a little over an hour long, so grab the popcorn.

Quote:A Town Has Turned to Dust
Written by Rod Serling Directed by John Frankenheimer. Starring William Shatner Rod Steiger (June 19, 1958)
Rod Serling created this raw, tough and at the same time, deeply moving outcry against prejudice. Serling laid the scene of his play in a Southwestern town racked by unremitting drought and worn by an ever-present sun. In their own poverty, the stricken townspeople turn to bigotry and prejudice against their Mexican colony as a release for their own frustrations. An innocent Mexican boy is sacrificed to a lynch mob by an ineffectual sheriff (Steiger). The slaughter leads to a brooding darkness involving the remorseful relatives of the Mexican youngster and the sullen townspeople.

Like the Mayans, and countless other cultures.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(07-02-2020, 10:48 PM)kdog Wrote: Like the Mayans, and countless other cultures.

Yeah. The tendency toward hate and killing is a drive that still runs very strong in our being.

I watched my little great nephew become angry and frustrated with one his toys and he tore that thing to pieces. He was only two. That was not taught behavior. Anger and wrecking of destruction seem to be inherent.

God knows I am not blaming anyone. I am an old broad, and it is still a constant battle for me to control my temper. I remember my poor mother fearing for me, when I was growing up, her mantra was, "Girl if you don't learn how to control that temper, you won't live to see 18, because you are going to kill someone or someone is going to kill you".
(07-02-2020, 10:02 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: This is a Rod Sterling Movie that could have been written today. It is really worth watching. It is a little over an hour long, so grab the popcorn.

Quote:A Town Has Turned to Dust
Written by Rod Serling Directed by John Frankenheimer. Starring William Shatner Rod Steiger (June 19, 1958)
Rod Serling created this raw, tough and at the same time, deeply moving outcry against prejudice. Serling laid the scene of his play in a Southwestern town racked by unremitting drought and worn by an ever-present sun. In their own poverty, the stricken townspeople turn to bigotry and prejudice against their Mexican colony as a release for their own frustrations. An innocent Mexican boy is sacrificed to a lynch mob by an ineffectual sheriff (Steiger). The slaughter leads to a brooding darkness involving the remorseful relatives of the Mexican youngster and the sullen townspeople.

Mr. Serling truly was a a genius at using the medium of film drama as metaphor. A modern master of the Allegory. I enjoyed everything he did. We lost him much too young. Stupid cigarette's.
internet Agent Provocateur
(07-02-2020, 11:24 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: Mr. Serling truly was a a genius at using the medium of film drama as metaphor. A modern master of the Allegory. I enjoyed everything he did. We lost him much too young. Stupid cigarette's.

Did you notice the Camel cigarette commercial in the opening?

I love his work also. He was indeed a genius with putting the human condition on the screen in a way that made it very easy to see.
(07-02-2020, 11:37 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 11:24 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: Mr. Serling truly was a a genius at using the medium of film drama as metaphor. A modern master of the Allegory. I enjoyed everything he did. We lost him much too young. Stupid cigarette's.

Did you notice the Camel cigarette commercial in the opening?

I love his work also. He was indeed a genius with putting the human condition on the screen in a way that made it very easy to see.

He smoked his fair share of them, too. ) - :
internet Agent Provocateur
Scapegoating, some thing that every culture has, and I believe its something that is deep in the human  soul. It provides a way of taking control of what is not understood and cannot be controlled. As soon as one group or person is scapegoated the next is already been lined up. 
Strange thing about scapegoating is once it starts it wont stop on its own because of fear, fear that im next.
So it becomes a self sustaining system
(07-03-2020, 09:31 AM)Wallfire Wrote: Scapegoating, some thing that every culture has, and I believe its something that is deep in the human  soul. It provides a way of taking control of what is not understood and cannot be controlled. As soon as one group or person is scapegoated the next is already been lined up. 
Strange thing about scapegoating is once it starts it wont stop on its own because of fear, fear that im next.
So it becomes a self sustaining system

I so agree.

From our youth, when first challenged with the acceptance of right and wrong, the battle begins. 

[Image: the-one-you-feed.jpg]