Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I reckon I'm Australian
Adjusting to life in Australia.

Lets just start here that I feel old. 62 goin on 63. As a child in the 1960’s I experienced a wonderful life in suburban Melbourne. Capital city in the state of Victoria. My family has a proud heritage, very Aussie. Hell, we have all, as a family, served in one way or another. For King/Queen an all. I am from ‘currency stock’ to put it succinctly.

My caveat, mildly put, is not bragging rights. Far from it. I am Australian and just very proud of it.

I’ve travelled to the 4 compass points and central in this country, as a child or just working and spent time visiting overseas ports while in the navy. I was a product of my parents, youngest in the family. Everyone was my mate
earlier in life regardless of who you were or where you were from and in many cases the acceptance was mutal. I never grew up believing in evil doings. Just thought those types were ‘off their rocker’. “Had a few roos loose in the top paddock’ so to speak. That was my immaturity later in life. My fault. Not blaming anyone else.

I guess what I’m saying here was I thought being Australian was an identity. You know, wrestling crocs, white pointers, deadly snakes, spiders and drop bears. Saying g’day to one and all. Helping out for nothing more than a frothy.

Perhaps I am getting old. I meet very few nowadays I can call ‘mate’. Past mates have moved on and live far away.

I see monuments. such as ‘James Cook’ ANZAC’s and tombstones of heros being desecrated, I see marching in the streets for some crappy reasons. I see violence from racial minority radicals to whose beliefs I feel I have to adapt to. I’m called a white supremist. Hell I only cut firewood and do volunteer work. Called a ‘son of Catain Cook’ because I was taught he was a great navigator and explorer. He didn’t discover Australia. We all knew the ‘dutchies’ came before him. I just don’t get it. What happened to ‘Australia Day’ you mugs? You have destroyed the day. No more Aussie flags, swimmers and T’shirts. Just “Invasion day” flags. Get over it! Captain Cook didn’t invade, Govenor Phillip didn’t invade, they just landed and tried to settle. If you want to hold your own special ‘invasion day’ then do it! Get pissed like you always do then punch it out. You don’t have to interrupt
others just having fun or take offence and burn the flag I salute each Anzac Day. Are we still allowed to have an “Australia Day cricket match” at the MCG? Nah that’ll be gone too.

Might be my age but as an ‘Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi’ I am now stand offish of people I have never met before.

I love my country and would defend it to the death. But who will I be defending it for? The protesters, drug addicts, vandals, dole bludgers, corrupt officials! No I’d defend it for my family and small handful of mates like my neighbour.

Crikey buttercups. You be you and let some of us bloody identify as Australian because I am tired of adjusting and adapting to you. Time you lot drop the race card and treat me as an Australian. I’m tired of adjusting to you.

Kind regards,

Bally of the overflow.
Cheers, Bally.

I'm exhausted by the provocations.  They don't raise my ire anymore.  Takes some profoundly negative people to get up to what's been happening lately.

I guess Australia's current "crime" is actually enforcing its immigration laws?  Something something sovereignty . . .
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Hey Ballsy! I'm glad you were able to make it here, I always liked your avatar. It reminds me of an old 80's horror movie about Jaws and being stuck on a buoy with dim lighting. 

Having said that.... 

[Image: giphy.gif] 

[Image: source.gif]
The Goonies R good enough
(06-30-2020, 04:31 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Cheers, Bally.

I'm exhausted by the provocations.  They don't raise my ire anymore.  Takes some profoundly negative people to get up to what's been happening lately.

I guess Australia's current "crime" is actually enforcing its immigration laws?  Something something sovereignty . . .

Thanks for the reply.  No real ire on my behalf apart from adjusting my beliefs to that of others all the time.  It's like a person who identifies as having an Australian background is an alien that needs to be gagged.   

I thank Rogue Nation for letting me put it out there.  I couldn't on other sites.

Kind regards,

bally:)
(06-30-2020, 04:39 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  No real ire on my behalf apart from adjusting my beliefs to that of others all the time.  It's like a person who identifies as having an Australian background is an alien that needs to be gagged.   

I thank Rogue Nation for letting me put it out there.  I couldn't on other sites.

Kind regards,

Really? I've always thought Australians and Canadians were some of the funnest, and funniest people to talk to. Maybe it's because they get my humor?

ETA: By "funniest" I mean their sense of humor.
And now, young Bally002... we want your Yowie tales.

tinybiggrin  Please.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(06-30-2020, 04:35 PM)LSU2018 Wrote: Hey Ballsy! I'm glad you were able to make it here, I always liked your avatar. It reminds me of an old 80's horror movie about Jaws and being stuck on a buoy with dim lighting. 

Having said that.... 

[Image: giphy.gif] 

[Image: source.gif]

Cheers mate.  I enjoy your humour.  I used to like sitting on a near deserted beach in the Territory watching the full moon rise while downing a frothy.  That's where the Avatar comes from.  I still call 'shrimps' = 'prawns' and often had a 'banana prawn' BBQ up north.  The prawns were big as banana's.

Chortle.

Kin regards,

Bally
(06-30-2020, 04:48 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Cheers mate.  I enjoy your humour.  I used to like sitting on a near deserted beach in the Territory watching the full moon rise while downing a frothy.  That's where the Avatar comes from.  I still call 'shrimps' = 'prawns' and often had a 'banana prawn' BBQ up north.  The prawns were big as banana's.

Chortle.

Kin regards,

Bally

Shrimp/Prawns as as big as bananas??? Holy smokes! That's a sight to behold, AND scarf down.
It seems to be happening world-wide, this take-over by the possessed youth.

I too am getting up in years, and seeing my country being burned and them trying to turn it into a third world country gets my blood boiling.

Every religion, belief system, whatever you want to call it, all predict the same things happening in the last days. Maybe they use different words to describe it, but it's the same thing: A spiritual battle between good and evil.

Being as I think there are many more people good at heart than evil ones, I have to hold on to that faith that good will win in the end. They predicted that too.

Right now, we are in the battle, but eventually, we will come out the other side and the evil ones will have been defeated.
We'll all live in a better world someday. I hang on to that hope, because without hope, we have nothing.
(06-30-2020, 04:47 PM)BIAD Wrote: And now, young Bally002... we want your Yowie tales.

tinybiggrin  Please.

I have some tales but not of the yowie type.  From central Australia. 'The day I vanished'.  True but really unbelievable.  I have recounted that tale to a few close friends, one who is an Author who would like to recount it.  The 'Gorilla man' told to me by a senior elder of an Aboriginal group which I hesitantly looked into.  The UFO crash which I recounted albeit fictionally in 'Short Stories' here.  My 2 UFO encounters in the desert which left me shaking my head.

Have a gander within the book "Another Country" by Nicolas Rothwell.  You'll see what work I used to do.  Check out, "Bush mechanics" the videos. 

I don't often speak about these things because it may offend some that I know dearly.  My given aboriginal name is 'Tjungala'.

Kind regards and cheers for your input,

Bally:)
[Image: 8a2871a881ea0ce47898517a695dc2b3.jpg]
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(06-30-2020, 04:53 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: It seems to be happening world-wide, this take-over by the possessed youth.

I too am getting up in years, and seeing my country being burned and them trying to turn it into a third world country gets my blood boiling.

Every religion, belief system, whatever you want to call it, all predict the same things happening in the last days. Maybe they use different words to describe it, but it's the same thing: A spiritual battle between good and evil.

Being as I think there are many more people good at heart than evil ones, I have to hold on to that faith that good will win in the end. They predicted that too.

Right now, we are in the battle, but eventually, we will come out the other side and the evil ones will have been defeated.
We'll all live in a better world someday. I hang on to that hope, because without hope, we have nothing.

Well said.

I think it is important that we realize that these are not personal attacks. This insanity is not static. It is happening to all, everywhere.
(06-30-2020, 04:53 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: It seems to be happening world-wide, this take-over by the possessed youth.

I see that.  I am now 'semi-retired' in my speak.  Meaning I cut wood for chump change and do volunteer work as part of the small community I live in which was pretty well decimated by the bush-fires last November.  

In saying that I tried to do the right thing back then in an Aussie spirit and locked arms with the fire.  In my part of the rural bush county I was the only one.  It was a long night.  I only saved 2 houses.  Mine and the neighbours. 85 others were lost.  To me that was my Australian upbringing.  And guess what.  Because I was insured I missed out in grants.  Not sore about that.  Though you might guess otherwise.  What gets my goat up is others that own houses elsewhere and barely lived on their rural blocks getting the grants while those poor soles who lost everything get very little support because, simply, they get on with their lives.  They are the silent minority of 'fair dinkum' Australians and not bludgers.  The others who are raping the system are Aussies but to my mind, not 'true blue' Australian.

I dunno.  I thought the funding, gifts and grants were supposed to go to those who really deserved it.  I don't want anything to do with that system.  Me and 'true love' are happy to carry on.

This is a reflection of my post regarding what I thought being an Australian was all about.  Don't give up and help your neighbours.  I think it's because I'm old fashioned.

Kind regards, I heartilly take heed of your post.

(06-30-2020, 05:11 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: [Image: 8a2871a881ea0ce47898517a695dc2b3.jpg]
At first I thought that was an Aussie cane toad.  About the same size.

Great pic.

Kind regards,

(06-30-2020, 04:44 PM)LSU2018 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 04:39 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Really? I've always thought Australians and Canadians were some of the funnest, and funniest people to talk to. Maybe it's because they get my humor?

ETA: By "funniest" I mean their sense of humor.

Can't speak for Canadians.  Yes we do have a sense of humour that generally escapes in the most serious circumstances.  Like, "Crikey, I'm out of ammo" to which the reply would be, "Just yell 'bang', that'll make em duck at least."

I'm still have my humor, love me 'dad jokes'. Struth, I had 7 kids.  Gotta maintain your humor among that mob specially when mum 'loses the plot'.  Kiwi's are funny too.  Takes me a 'blonde' moment to get the the punch line and visa versa with which I retort to an angry face, "err,,just jokin mate, here have another beer and a smoke, jeez just take the whole packet yer bludger."  Avoids unplesantries. 

Kind regards,

I have never in my life seen such insanity. Things should never have gotten this chaotic and out of control. It doesn't matter how old we are. Kindness, respect and compassion should matter and not tossed aside like some forgotten book. Our history is being erased, people are offended at the slightest damned thing, there is too much hatred and division...Sigh...This not who we are, not what we want now or for the future of the children. Spread your light people, wherever you are in the world. Make it a brighter world because you are in it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7980]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-30-2020, 09:03 PM)Night Star Wrote: I have never in my life seen such insanity. Things should never have gotten this chaotic and out of control. It doesn't matter how old we are. Kindness, respect and compassion should matter and not tossed aside like some forgotten book. Our history is being erased, people are offended at the slightest damned thing, there is too much hatred and division...Sigh...This not who we are, not what we want now or for the future of the children. Spread your light people, wherever you are in the world. Make it a brighter world because you are in it.

I know that I have become the obnoxious one, because I am always reminding others of the bright side, the good side, and reminding them that what they see on the internet and TV is not who we are. My friends and family laugh at me and keep telling me that I need to wake up, to the new normal. I so hate that phrase.

It is overwhelming for many, and the constant imagery that elicits hate amd fear, is very effective in making the masses believe it is real, and that this is the new normal, that we most accept and acclimate ourselves to. It is a lie, and in our hearts we know it is a lie, but the constant programming and conditioning wins out over commonsense.
Cant say i disagree with anything you wrote . To me a lot of the problems start at the border , we just need to get the mix right of who we let in and the drug problem also needs to be looked at closely as we are just not getting that right as well  . Lots wrong here at the moment and i don't see the answers , well i have my views on it but i will leave it at that .Now the blm protests im still scratching my head over , maybe people needed to vent their frustrations on something/ anything as they were emerging from lockdown . One thing i do know is all the ranting ,protest and labels they are handing out will not affect me in the slightest . Not now , not ever .
[Image: port-agusta-2.png]
(06-30-2020, 09:55 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 09:03 PM)Night Star Wrote: I have never in my life seen such insanity. Things should never have gotten this chaotic and out of control. It doesn't matter how old we are. Kindness, respect and compassion should matter and not tossed aside like some forgotten book. Our history is being erased, people are offended at the slightest damned thing, there is too much hatred and division...Sigh...This not who we are, not what we want now or for the future of the children. Spread your light people, wherever you are in the world. Make it a brighter world because you are in it.

I know that I have become the obnoxious one, because I am always reminding others of the bright side, the good side, and reminding them that what they see on the internet and TV is not who we are. My friends and family laugh at me and keep telling me that I need to wake up, to the new normal. I so hate that phrase.

It is overwhelming for many, and the constant imagery that elicits hate amd fear, is very effective in making the masses believe it is real, and that this is the new normal, that we most accept and acclimate ourselves to. It is a lie, and in our hearts we know it is a lie, but the constant programming and conditioning wins out over commonsense.
I for one appreciate your positivity, it's needed in our current climate.

I go back and forth with that a lot, I want to believe there's hope for people, but that hope has slowly but surely dwindled over the past 20 years.

I admit I get caught up in the negativity.  It's hard not to.  Between political corruption, class wars, race wars, virus wars, etc., it feels like something's gotta give.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(06-30-2020, 04:52 PM)LSU2018 Wrote: Shrimp/Prawns as as big as bananas??? Holy smokes! That's a sight to behold, AND scarf down.

big as bananas = baby crocs
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!