Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Living With Pets
(06-28-2020, 01:44 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 01:15 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I grew up a dog person and have morphed into a cat person.  Anyway, here's our 2 month old Maine Coon...

[Image: 20200525-121025.jpg]

You have my favorite breed of cat! I love Maine Coons!

I am sooooooooooo jealous.

I am an animal person. My friends call me Dr. Dolittle because even the wild animals will come to me for help. I think they can sense I am not a threat and I will help them.

I have helped baby owls, herons, rabbits, squirrels, turtles, tortoises, goats, even a darn lizard and a frog. I don't like lizards and frogs, so I think they were just testing me.

I'd have loved to have seen some baby owls, definitely among my favorite birds.

I've always wanted a Maine Coon, he's our first, and hands down the best cat I've ever had based on his personality alone.  I'm sure you've heard they're the dogs of the cat world. 

I love how big they get, his dad is 22 pounds.  He wasn't easy to find either, at least here in PA.  We found a private breeder and had to drive over 2 hours to get him, worth every second (and penny).

He was only 9 weeks in this picture.

[Image: IMG-5085.jpg]
(06-28-2020, 03:16 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 01:15 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I grew up a dog person and have morphed into a cat person.  Anyway, here's our 2 month old Maine Coon...

I am an animal person. My friends call me Dr. Dolittle because even the wild animals will come to me for help. I think they can sense I am not a threat and I will help them.

I have helped baby owls, herons, rabbits, squirrels, turtles, tortoises, goats, even a darn lizard and a frog. I don't like lizards and frogs, so I think they were just testing me.

I've always wanted a Maine Coon, he's our first, and hands down the best cat I've ever had based on his personality alone.  I'm sure you've heard they're the dogs of the cat world. 

I love how big they get, his dad is 22 pounds.  He wasn't easy to find either, at least here in PA.  We found a private breeder and had to drive over 2 hours to get him, worth every second (and penny).

Precious. What is the baby's name? He looks like a Tartan. 

Of course I would probably end up calling him Mr. T.

All my pets end up with a name for every mood and personality. Crazy thing is that they answer to all of them.

Maine Coons are hard to find no matter where you are. They are amazing cats. You are so lucky.
(06-28-2020, 03:35 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 03:16 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Precious. What is the baby's name? He looks like a Tartan. 

Of course I would probably end up calling him Mr. T.

All my pets end up with a name for every mood and personality. Crazy thing is that they answer to all of them.

Maine Coons are hard to find no matter where you are. They are amazing cats. You are so lucky.

We named him Garbanzo.  They really are amazing cats, my 2 year old daughter doesn't understand how she should act with him, but he is unbelievably tolerant, even as a young kitten.
(06-28-2020, 03:53 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: [quote pid='41329' dateline='1593310573']
[quote pid='41308' dateline='1593305084']
We named him Garbanzo.  They really are amazing cats, my 2 year old daughter doesn't understand how she should act with him, but he is unbelievably tolerant, even as a young kitten.

[/quote]

[/quote]
I like the name. Are you going to leash train him? Lazarus liked walking on a leash because he liked walking with the rest of the pack. 

He really was alpha, I have no idea why all the dogs deferred to him. He was a courageous cat and he would take on dogs, bobcat, and wild boar 10 times his size. He was vicious when he needed to be. 

I am laughing just thinking about some of crazy crap Lazarus would do.
(06-28-2020, 04:12 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 03:53 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: [quote pid='41329' dateline='1593310573']
[quote pid='41308' dateline='1593305084']
[quote pid='41297' dateline='1593303309']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like the name. 

Are you going to leash train him? Lazarus liked walking on a leash because he liked walking with the rest of the pack. He really was alpha, I have no idea why all the dogs deferred to him.

He was a courageous cat and he would take on dogs, bobcat, and wild boar 10 times his size. He was vicious when he needed to be. I am laughing just thinking about some of crazy crap Lazarus would do.
[/quote]
I'm thinking about getting him a harness with one of those long retractable leashes so he can go outside.

I'm not surprised at all about him taking on other larger animals.  Was he a Maine Coon?  From what I've heard, they're amazing hunters, but I guess you could say the same for all cats really.  Wild boar though, he may be biting off more than he can chew lol, I've seen videos of tigers struggling with boar.  Still, the courage deserves respect.  Even a bobcat is a no-go.  I wanted a pet bobcat until I found out they can take down deer.
(06-28-2020, 04:26 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm thinking about getting him a harness with one of those long retractable leashes so he can go outside.

I'm not surprised at all about him taking on other larger animals.  Was he a Maine Coon?  From what I've heard, they're amazing hunters, but I guess you could say the same for all cats really.  Wild boar though, he may be biting off more than he can chew lol, I've seen videos of tigers struggling with boar.  Still, the courage deserves respect.  Even a bobcat is a no-go.  I wanted a pet bobcat until I found out they can take down deer.

No. Lazarus was just a fool cat that had an identity crisis. I rescued him when he was three weeks old from a construction site where he had been buried alive. 

His mother and the rest of his litter were killed, except for two of his female siblings. I got a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy 3 months after I got Lazarus. The puppy deferred to Lazarus as the senior member of the pack. They grew up together and Lazarus never saw another cat for years, so I think he believed he was a dog.
(06-24-2020, 04:46 PM)gordi Wrote: Hi Skye & Mom,
I thought that this was very cute!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7885]

Gx

OMG... that is darling! tinyinlove
internet Agent Provocateur
I walked outside around 2:30 pm. It was so darn hot and humid my clothes instantly stuck to me, and the air was hot to breathe.

I looked at my thermometer that was sitting in the sun, and was not shocked to see it at 105 degrees. I was thinking that my poor Huskies were going to be miserable. But I guess they didn't get the memo, because all four decided they wanted hang and lay in the sun. Not one sought out the shade.

I couldn't stand the heat and could not get them to come in. I  had to put them on leash and walk them in. I think the heat fried their brains.
(07-09-2020, 11:10 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I walked outside around 2:30 pm. It was so darn hot and humid my clothes instantly stuck to me, and the air was hot to breathe.

I looked at my thermometer that was  sitting in the sun, and was not shocked to see it at 105 degrees. I was thinking that my poor Huskies were going to be miserable. But I guess they didn't get the memo, because all four decided they wanted hang and lay in the sun. Not one sought out the shade.

I couldn't stand the heat and could not get them to come in. I  had to put them on leash and walk them in. I think the heat fried their brains.

It's certainly fried mine this week.  I'm ok with 90 degrees, but throw in humidity and I want to die lol
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
My brats:

[Image: Molly-bed.jpg]

Molly (mom)

[Image: Suzie-Bed.jpg]
Suzie (daughter)
(07-10-2020, 12:07 AM)Captain Chaos Wrote: My brats:

[Image: Molly-bed.jpg]

Molly (mom)

[Image: Suzie-Bed.jpg]
Suzie (daughter)

Molly looks a bit like my Bellah. Suzie has that same look that my Tamar, Bellah's daughter, gives me when she has been into something she had no business getting into.

Yep. They are all very good at doing the brat thing.
I was making noises and being weird. That's Suzie's "Wtf?" face.
(07-10-2020, 12:56 AM)Captain Chaos Wrote: I was making noises and being weird. That's Suzie's "Wtf?" face.

All four of my Huskies are very verbal. The have plenty to say, but they are good with the non-verbal cues as well.

Maxx likes to turn his back to you, that is his signature move. Tamar is the one that will most often give you the WTF face. Now you got me thinking that may just be a daughter thing.
Equal

The two new members of the pack are settling in just fine. 

They are developing their own set of habits and behavior, and the rest of us are adjusting to their routine.

Enoch chose to sleep with Mother from day one, so it was no surprise when Sylvester came that he slept with her also. Since that is where Lazarus our cat/ dog slept for twenty-one years, it actually felt natural. 

Both Mother and myself have noticed they seem to be equal in their demand for attention from the two of us. They definitely think Mom is the "feed me" lady, and the "it is time to go to bed" lady, but they will snuggle with me when a take a nap, sit in my lap, whenever it please them, and for some reason they both like lying across my back or shoulders, and they both like trying to groom my hair.

Enoch is the most demanding, and ridiculously loud. This is a very good thing because my Mom is very hard of hearing. She has no problem hearing Knocki. Sylvester is the curious one. He has to explore every nook and cranny, and test the waters.

The dogs are most interested in Sylvester. I think they like him because he doesn't kitch slap them the way Enoch does. I have never heard a yelp from either side, but Enoch will get all kitchy, when he has had enough, and if his little soft paws flailing a 100 miles a minute is not off putting enough, that shrill roar of his does the trick.

They seem to spend the majority of the time in pairs. If you see one, you see the other, but not always. Sylvester, likes to cuddle, Enoch not as much, but he wants you in his sight. 

They both are affectionate and demanding, and they seem to demand both from 
[Image: 20200817-182149.jpg]

Mom and me equally.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Just when I needed a break, my critters came to my rescue.

I tried to capture it on video but I can never get to my phone quick enough to catch the really good stuff. 

Sylvester is more playful than Enoch. Enoch and Maxx are much the same in personality and they share the role of Alpha.

Bellah is the mother of Goliath and Tamar, but she has Peter Pan syndrome, and wants to play all the time, so she doesn't just share the same coloring as Sylvester, they are very close in personality. 

I don't think Enoch or Sylvester realizes there is a difference between dogs and cats, and since the Huskies treat them like any other member of the pack, they act like rightful members. 

Sylvester has developed this game that I have named the rodeo game, that he likes playing with the rest of the pack.

He chases them around in a circle trying to time it just right for jumping on their backs. When he fails, or falls off, he gives them a double pat to their hunches, using both paws. The whole scene is hilarious.

I am trying to get some classwork done. It is one of the most boring of classes I have ever done. The only up side is that it is a self paced class. The down side is that it will likely take me a year to finish. 

My pack to the rescue.   tinylaughing

Goliath, Bellah, and Sylvester, taking a break from rodeo at the watering hole.

[Image: 20200826-083834.jpg]

• minusculebeercheers 

I miss my cat, we traveled together to different lands and got old together

Our Garbanzo died today, he somehow got poisoned.  We get the occasional field mice, and he was a magnificent hunter of them.  We think he got one with poison already in it.  He was a bit lethargic yesterday so we kept an eye on him, today he couldn't move at all, it's like he was paralyzed. 

My wife took him to the vet, they said he was poisoned and that it was already too late.  Of course I was at work, so I didn't even get to say goodbye to him, though my wife kissed him goodbye for me.

I'm crushed, that cat would greet me like a dog when I came home from work.  And the second I layed down in bed, he jumped up and stood on my chest with all of his 17 pounds and would head butt me and bite me if I stopped petting him.  Half the time, his annoying ass would jump into bed before I got in, so I'd have to pick him up and lay down.

He was so tolerant of my girls, especially my 4 year old.  He never hissed, never used his claws.

He was a perfect cat.  Rest in peace, Garbanzo.
(06-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Our Garbanzo died today, he somehow got poisoned.  We get the occasional field mice, and he was a magnificent hunter of them.  We think he got one with poison already in it.  He was a bit lethargic yesterday so we kept an eye on him, today he couldn't move at all, it's like he was paralyzed. 

My wife took him to the vet, they said he was poisoned and that it was already too late.  Of course I was at work, so I didn't even get to say goodbye to him, though my wife kissed him goodbye for me.

I'm crushed, that cat would greet me like a dog when I came home from work.  And the second I layed down in bed, he jumped up and stood on my chest with all of his 17 pounds and would head butt me and bite me if I stopped petting him.  Half the time, his annoying ass would jump into bed before I got in, so I'd have to pick him up and lay down.

He was so tolerant of my girls, especially my 4 year old.  He never hissed, never used his claws.

I am so sorry to hear about your lost. I have felt that pain myself.

Here is a pic of my Lazarus. Laz was 21 years old when he he passed. Max is lying with him and consoling him during his last hours. All the pack knew that he was leaving us. They were so loving and gentle with him. It might be why they were so accepting of Enoch and his brother Sylvester, when we brought them into the pack. 

[Image: Max-Lazarus.jpg]

• minusculebeercheers 

funny how the aggravating citters we call pets grow on you and all their little i love you things they do. the loss you feel when their gone tends to stick with you for a while, there have been a couple cats over the years that i had that i still think about and miss them.

just remember that he was a happy cat and loved you guys and knew who his people were.

[Image: TWBB.png]

(06-03-2022, 12:27 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

I am so sorry to hear about your lost. I have felt that pain myself.

Here is a pic of my Lazarus. Laz was 21 years old when he he passed. Max is lying with him and consoling him during his last hours. All the pack knew that he was leaving us. They were so loving and gentle with him. It might be why they were so accepting of Enoch and his brother Sylvester, when we brought them into the pack. 

[Image: Max-Lazarus.jpg]

I've seen that before with animals, they somehow know.  We were a single cat household, and he was a family member.  He loved everyone just as much as we loved him.