Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wooden Mushrooms In The Forest!
(10-29-2017, 08:48 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: Nice! And only a couple of hours? Hell, with the right wood that can last  quite some time and retain a good chili flavor  tinycool

Now you're talkin' Ducky!

It was made with wood from a young birch tree that got blown down last week.
So the wood is still very "green", soft and easy to carve.
I'll just have to be careful how I dry it out now or it might split - but it's all good experience right?

I love whittling and carving anyway, but this hooked knife has opened up all sorts of possibilities for future projects! (Watch This Space!)

@"guohua"  cheers m'dear!
Or are you just "stirring" things up?? LOL
Nice to see you.
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(10-30-2017, 09:22 AM)gordi Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 08:48 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: Nice! And only a couple of hours? Hell, with the right wood that can last  quite some time and retain a good chili flavor  tinycool

Now you're talkin' Ducky!

It was made with wood from a young birch tree that got blown down last week.
So the wood is still very "green", soft and easy to carve.
I'll just have to be careful how I dry it out now or it might split - but it's all good experience right?

I love whittling and carving anyway, but this hooked knife has opened up all sorts of possibilities for future projects! (Watch This Space!)

@"guohua"  cheers m'dear!
Or are you just "stirring" things up?? LOL
Nice to see you.
G
Yes,,,,,,,,,,, You know me Soooooooo Welllllllll,,,, I was thinking of Stirring The Pot!!!! 
[Image: RemoteUnconsciousAbyssiniangroundhornbill-max-1mb.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
OK, I just HAD to share this...

Today, Chrissie (my first and current wife...) was hosting a Forest School session for kids in the area where I carve and release the mushrooms...

One of the wee girls on the session was exploring and "discovered" a mushroom that I had just released last week!
Her eyes lit up in awe and wonder as she brought it to the attention of Chrissie... followed quickly by a dozen questions...

"What do you think it's made of? Where did it come from? Who could have made it? Are there any more? Do you think I could keep it and take it home??"

Chrissie (bless her) kept schtum and let the wee lass's imagination take flight!

Just look at that wee face!

[Image: 55897080_2230327973892981_71701294503218...e=5D4F9BB1]

JOB (well and truly) DONE!
THAT is what it's all about folks.

(Very happy) BigG

minusculebeercheers
That's great Gordi... but I thought wooden mushrooms migrated in the winter?

I can only assume that this young lady discovered one of the rare indigenous wooden fungus
that are spore-less and occasionally display a tartan-like hue.

But eh, what do I know?!
tinyhuh

(Cheers for the nice stuff, it's a relief from the negative news!)
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(04-02-2019, 09:05 PM)BIAD Wrote: That's great Gordi... but I thought wooden mushrooms migrated in the winter?

I can only assume that this young lady discovered one of the rare indigenous wooden fungus
that are spore-less and occasionally display a tartan-like hue.

But eh, what do I know?!
tinyhuh

(Cheers for the nice stuff, it's a relief from the negative news!)

Ah, well... right there you're making the very common error of confusing them with Swallows.
The wooden mushrooms are actually lighter in colour, but probably heavier in weight.
They are also slightly less aerodynamic and tend to have great difficulty flying, never mind navigating their way to Africa.
The spore-less ones actually died out (obviously) and Tartan Hue is (I believe) still singing and playing the pipes in a wee boutique hotel in the cairngorms (last I heard).

(You are Most welcome!)
G
(04-02-2019, 10:20 PM)gordi Wrote: Ah, well... right there you're making the very common error of confusing them with Swallows.
The wooden mushrooms are actually lighter in colour, but probably heavier in weight.
They are also slightly less aerodynamic and tend to have great difficulty flying, never mind navigating their way to Africa...

But since the 'MANS' (Mushrooms Are Not Swallows)-party were founded, this 'weight-shaming' tactic
has been outlawed by the European Commission. Mushrooms -wooden or not, can now take part or at
least, imagine to take part, in travelling to warmer climes just like the red-throated passerines.

For too long... (holding lapels of suit-jacket) the artificial fungus has been held down in their quest to
seek an affinity with their timbered-brethren in the African continent. When sales of Umbongo declined
in the Congo, it was MANS that called out to the soft-drink corporations to solve the dilemma and bring
sweet-tasting prosperity back to the lovers of shitty soda and overseas Agaricus bisporus.
(And thank you Wikipedia)

They say 'flight is for the birds' and that may be so, but self-promotion is also a lofty ideal and it may
well be time that swallows, martins and swifts took a good-long hard look at their privilege of aerial
freedom and gave a brother a hand.

After all, it is 2019.
tinybiggrin
(04-03-2019, 11:33 AM)BIAD Wrote: But since the 'MANS' (Mushrooms Are Not Swallows)-party were founded, this 'weight-shaming' tactic
has been outlawed by the European Commission. Mushrooms -wooden or not, can now take part or at
least, imagine to take part, in travelling to warmer climes just like the red-throated passerines.

For too long... (holding lapels of suit-jacket) the artificial fungus has been held down in their quest to
seek an affinity with their timbered-brethren in the African continent. When sales of Umbongo declined
in the Congo, it was MANS that called out to the soft-drink corporations to solve the dilemma and bring
sweet-tasting prosperity back to the lovers of shitty soda and overseas Agaricus bisporus.
(And thank you Wikipedia)

They say 'flight is for the birds' and that may be so, but self-promotion is also a lofty ideal and it may
well be time that swallows, martins and swifts took a good-long hard look at their privilege of aerial
freedom and gave a brother a hand.

After all, it is 2019.
tinybiggrin

Indeed!
I woke up early this morning and decided to go for a walk in the local woods.
I haven't been up there very much lately because of some major forestry/logging works going on, but all seems quiet today...

The place looks very different now.
Many non-native conifers have been removed and there is a plan in place to return this area to it's natural "Peat-Bog" state. The bog was drained many years ago to enable the trees to be planted and they've only just twigged (see what I did there? LOL) that natural Peat Bog is actually much better for the environment, Bio-Diversity and Carbon-Capture than the trees are!

The logging works have left a carpet of stumps and sticks on the ground, so there is currently a plentiful supply of potential WOODEN MUSHROOMS!!

6am, BigG, with a coffee (in my travel mug) and my trusty Swiss Army Knife in hand... 10 mins later...

TaDa!!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8197]

Duly "released" back into the wild!
Job Done.

G

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice Mushroom you have made there Mr.G.

Fast work, did you count to ensure you had all ten fingers?  tinyshocked
Nice mate.  Butt plugs are having a renaissance.

Got me all tingly now, toes are curling up.

Good work, light sanding and polishing it could be put to good use.

You handyman you.

Kind regards,

Bally:)
(08-10-2020, 08:51 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Nice mate.  Butt plugs are having a renaissance.

Got me all tingly now, toes are curling up.

Good work, light sanding and polishing it could be put to good use.

You handyman you.

Kind regards,

Bally:)

Ok, Australia,,, GiantThumbsUp
(08-10-2020, 08:25 AM)gordi Wrote:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8197]

From the look of the background, it seems your hobby certainly has an impact on the surrounding woodland!
You didn't have relations living in the Tunguska regions a few years back, did you?
tinyhuh
(08-10-2020, 09:49 AM)BIAD Wrote: From the look of the background, it seems your hobby certainly has an impact on the surrounding woodland!
You didn't have relations living in the Tunguska regions a few years back, did you?
tinyhuh

You KNOW my Great Uncle Oleg?? WOW!

That's actually the area where the loggers have been in... clearing the way for the Peat-Bog to be re-instated.
It's quite weird being there... you KNOW it's the same place, but it looks and feels very different with over half of the trees gone!
It's still "familiar" but it feels like it's somewhere else... it's very strange, but I still like it very much!

G
I'm curious as to how they plan to rehydrate the bog lands. That has potential as a moat around my house - one where interlopers bury themselves!

Now THAT'S efficiency!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-11-2020, 12:37 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm curious as to how they plan to rehydrate the bog lands. That has potential as a moat around my house - one where interlopers bury themselves!

Now THAT'S efficiency!

That is Efficient as long as you're able to get out of your property and not get in the Bog and be part of the Bog.
OMG, don't come home from the Pub all Foggy Brain and forget the safe passage!
(08-11-2020, 12:37 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm curious as to how they plan to rehydrate the bog lands. That has potential as a moat around my house - one where interlopers bury themselves!

Now THAT'S efficiency!

The forest had drainage furrows cut (or more likely ploughed?) in lines between where the trees were planted.

The bog restorers install water-barriers (Boards with hexagonal strengthening channels) at key points across these furrows. They act like little dams, backing up the water into small(ish) pools, which then seep back down into the peat below.

It's quite simple, but very clever. The key is identifying the best places to locate the water-barriers.
Over time, the heather and bog-plants return and grow higher than the actual barriers, so you don't even see them after a while.

cheers,
G
@"gordi" 

Thought you might like this image.  Photo taken in a German forest.  This was beside a trail for years on end and nobody disturbed it.  Made me wonder if a child was lost there and this was a sort of memorial.

[Image: toy-stump.jpg]

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-11-2020, 08:59 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"gordi" 

Thought you might like this image.  Photo taken in a German forest.  This was beside a trail for years on end and nobody disturbed it.  Made me wonder if a child was lost there and this was a sort of memorial.

[Image: toy-stump.jpg]

Cheers

Ha, cool!
Did it have you stumped? LOL
G
@"gordi" 

Kind of.  Also wondered if it was some kind of odd offering to the gods of an older religion.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

aaaaaand it's happened again!

It just had to be done.... run free little one..... I know..... I KNOW!!!! LOL

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9377]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9378]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)