Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That Werewolf Close To Home.
Here's an interesting video where a practical and candid man investigates tales and accounts of a phenomena
that's only about 50 miles from where BIAD and myself live.
I can state the creature isn't Boy In A Dress as his legs always look shaved.
tinybiggrin

I love the Yorkshire manner of dropping a word here and there!
For example: "It was seen on moors" instead 'on the moors'.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I would think that a Werewolf seen in that area for a 1000 years give or take a hundred years or two, would have to be from a family in the same area. 

I don't know if a werewolf actually turns from man to wolf because of the moon or what?
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(12-16-2018, 10:55 PM)guohua Wrote: I would think that a Werewolf seen in that area for a 1000 years give or take a hundred years or two, would have to be from a family in the same area. 

I don't know if a werewolf actually turns from man to wolf because of the moon or what?

I have no idea what they're seeing!

Britain has always been seen as a small island that cannot hold such a skin-and-blood creature
like the US Sasquatch and so all that can be said is those in the past and modern-day must be
misidentifying something normal in the area of Bridlington.

But it's sure strange.
(12-16-2018, 04:48 PM)BIAD Wrote: Here's an interesting video where a practical and candid man investigates tales and accounts of a phenomena
that's only about 50 miles from where BIAD and myself live...

How much would I LOVE to go for a pint with that guy (Paul Sinclair).

ooooh, there's a camping/glamping wigwam/yurt holiday site on a farm near to Flixton......

@BIAD - I can feel a Springtime Rogue field-trip coming on?

tinyhuh
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
Practically everyone has heard of the viking "berserkers" - meaning "bear shirts" - who were formidable foes at the average axe-fest. I believe it was a claimed berserker who held Stamford Bridge for a bit to allow the retreat of his fellows. What fewer have heard of is another type of viking warrior called an "ulfhednar" - the "d" has a little stroke on the upper stem that I can't replicate because I don't have an old norse font... and which, despite the viking DNA floating around in me here and there, I have no idea how to pronounce - which means "wolf skins". ETA: through the miracle of modern copy-paste, the word is spelled " Úlfhéðnar ".  Link

Ulfhednar were said to go into battle wearing nothing but a wolf skin cloak, taking on the character and ferocity of a wolf, and were alleged to be as formidable as berserkers, but perhaps more cunning. Some claimed that during the heat of battle, they actually shape-shifted into wolves, but that can't happen in the real world, right? RIGHT?

I note that Flixton, as well as several other sighting areas, are proximal to York. I further note that York was occupied by viking raiders during the time frame in question, and that the first mention of the Flixton beast was in 937 AD, around the same time.

Coincidence? Hereditary ulfhednar?

===========================

I also saw mention of "Black Shuck" in connection with the Flixton manifestations while researching it, albeit a peripheral connection. Black Shuck apparently made the trip across the pond some time during the migrations, and, according to my dear old grandpa, settled in these mountains I occupy now. Grandpa was a drinkin' man, along with most of the rest of my family, and swears that one night he ran into Black Shuck. As he staggered along on his way home, as the tale goes, he came to a bridge across the Little Kanawha River, and standing at the far end of the bridge was none other than a large black dog with glowing red eyes, guarding the egress and blocking his path - just gramps, the bridge, and the dog, and nary a Baskerville around to toss at the diabolical canine to distract it with!

Now gramps was in no mood for delay, as his spinning bed was calling his name, and so he announced the impending doom of the dog should it continue to thwart his advance with words to the effect of "aiight ya bastard! I've no mind to wet my feet by wadin' the crick, so I'm coming across the bridge. Iffen yer still there when I get to yer side, I'll disassemble yer sorry ass, and it'll be the worse for ya." and with that started his advance across the bridge towards the dog with a wide and wavering stride - to show he meant business, I suppose.

According to Grandpa's Tale, just as he passed the midpoint of the bridge employing his purposeful if jerky stride, there was a flash and a puff of acrid smoke, and the dog was simply not THERE any more... so he walked through the dissipating cloud of smoke and continued home.

I can't swear to the veracity of the tale, and there WAS a fair amount of alcohol involved, but there it is, as he told it.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-18-2018, 06:32 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...Ulfhednar were said to go into battle wearing nothing but a wolf skin cloak, taking on the character and ferocity of a wolf, and were alleged to be as formidable as berserkers, but perhaps more cunning. Some claimed that during the heat of battle, they actually shape-shifted into wolves, but that can't happen in the real world, right? RIGHT?

I note that Flixton, as well as several other sighting areas, are proximal to York. I further note that York was occupied by viking raiders during the time frame in question, and that the first mention of the Flixton beast was in 937 AD, around the same time.

Coincidence? Hereditary ulfhednar?

I like it.... now, are any of the Yorkshire burial mounds actually viking warrior graves??
That would be VERY interesting.
G

minusculebeercheers
ALL RIGHT!
Vikings, Berserkers and Ulfhendnar!  smallawesome
Definitely some scary/spooky Shit going on there.  minusculebeercheers 

Ninurta (with his Viking Blood) and Gordi and Biad should make some Grog/beer and offer it a drink.  mediumscotwithsword or Not!
(12-18-2018, 06:57 PM)gordi Wrote: I like it.... now, are any of the Yorkshire burial mounds actually viking warrior graves??
That would be VERY interesting.
G

minusculebeercheers

An interesting question, and perhaps one to bring up to Mr. Sinclair when you're having your pint with him - he does seem to do his homework, and have an awareness of the local history and landscape. It might give him another avenue of approach to the mystery. If not an actual viking spirit of a deceased warrior, maybe a local with roots back to that particular occupation of York, and an ancient viking warrior in his or her family tree, the malady handed down through the generations...

And now, a musical interlude:

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(12-18-2018, 07:17 PM)guohua Wrote: ALL RIGHT!

Ninurta (with his Viking Blood) and Gordi and Biad should make some Grog/beer and offer it a drink.  mediumscotwithsword or Not!

I polished off my last bottle of mead just last week while watching "Vikings" - the mood has to be set, y'know? Maybe time to whip up another batch! I'd be happy to offer it a swig or two, just to see if it accepted or not. I ain't skeert of no ulfhedar, for I am the meanest mother in this tiny valley!

(12-18-2018, 07:23 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 07:17 PM)guohua Wrote: ALL RIGHT!

I polished off my last bottle of mead just last week while watching "Vikings" - the mood has to be set, y'know? Maybe time to whip up another batch! I'd be happy to offer it a swig or two, just to see if it accepted or not. I ain't skeert of no ulfhedar, for I am the meanest mother in this tiny valley!.

Quote:for I am the meanest mother in this tiny valley!
@"Ninurta"  Yes you are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Next To Me!
[Image: TiredSparklingHound-size_restricted.gif]
(12-18-2018, 02:32 PM)gordi Wrote: How much would I LOVE to go for a pint with that guy (Paul Sinclair).

ooooh, there's a camping/glamping wigwam/yurt holiday site on a farm near to Flixton......

@BIAD - I can feel a Springtime Rogue field-trip coming on?

tinyhuh

That wouldn't be a bad idea Big Man... RN-funded, of course!
(12-18-2018, 07:49 PM)guohua Wrote:
Quote:for I am the meanest mother in this tiny valley!
@"Ninurta"  Yes you are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Next To Me!
[Image: TiredSparklingHound-size_restricted.gif]

Missus G, I would never presume to be beside you - I'll be behind you, out of the line of fire, and handing ammo forward over your shoulder!

@"Ninurta"   smallroflmao minusculebeercheers Trust Me My Friend, We'll take em all out together. 
We're cleaning both of our Barrett M107, my husband said you could use his, he prefers his M14 rifle, 7.62.
If that Werewolf doesn't want to associate with You, Gordi. Biad and us, and gets to acting stupid, I think we can handle him and his family of Misfits.

Hopefully, he'll set on his tail and have a beer or two with us. Gordi could play us a song and we could sing and Wohl around the campfire.

Once we Tame the werewolf I think we might look at Bigfoot and found out why he appears to be so shy and unfriendly  minusculethumbsup2
A bit more on Úlfhéðnar:

Now, honestly, I have no idea what kind of webpage this is. I'm pretty sure there is a fair amount of bullshit involved in it. However, bearing on the discussion at hand, the following excerpts seem relevant:

Quote:Úlfhéðnar are born. Not made. It is therefore a matter of developing underlying potential in the very few males who've got what it takes in their blood, genes, and spirit. These dormant Úlfhéðnar are normally selected during Berserkr training, or within specific military units and special forces, from the best among their peers. Úlfhéðnar can also be identified during any stage of training and developed accordingly as applicable.

And:

Quote:BEING A ÚLFHEÐINN

You cannot apply to become a Úlfheðinn. It's in your blood/genes, or it isn't. If we think you've got it in you, we will approach you and bring your skills (ranging from survival and martial, to healing, or even the ability to reach altered states of consciousness), your spirituality, your mental, your physical fitness, and your knowledge up to standards, so you may have a shot at joining a Úlfhéðnar Hirð.

So, according to that, Úlfheðinn are hereditary - it's in the blood, in the genes. If the "werewolf" in question were a descendant of of a viking Úlfhéðnar, that would make sense, and open the door to it being a modern individual, with the genes passed down, rather than a thousand year old werewolf.

BUT - as I said, the page appears to carry a fair amount of bullshit, and the above speculation could also be pure bullshit, too!

I first learned of the Úlfhéðnar  as a teenager, via "The Viking Age" by Paul B. DuChaillu, printed in 1889. I had both volumes, in the first edition, which I now find were worth $600 for the pair - but they are both gone now, destroyed by my third wife with a lot of help from the second one. Such is life. They can be found as e-books here (first volume) , and here (second volume) . I also have them in PDF format, but can't be assed at the moment to hunt them down on the internet.

ETA: The PDF versions can be found at The Internet Archives

Fascinating stuff, we should do more of these additions of background extras.
minusculethumbsup

Mainstream history doesn't promote what Vikings actually did and the range they travelled.
Just take their incursions into Britain, it wasn't all horned-hats and plunder. From subtle
negotiations to out-right pillaging, they altered the future of most of northern England.
Apparently Viking burials can be found... all over the place, and WELL INLAND!

There are 4 in and around Yorkshire that are mapped here. But who knows how many more??
(They are described separately in the body of text on the source link)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4951]

Source page

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is a related video to the thread.

I'd guess that most of us have seen the 'An American Werewolf In London' movie, where a small village on the northern moors
of England -called East Proctor, held a secret that was kept close to its resident's hearts.

And just like many small communities around the world, there are families that stick together with their shameful knowledge whilst
the world passes them by. The area mentioned in the article below is well-known for its weird sightings to those who follow the
mystery of shambling upright creature of the British Isles.

Quote:Lycans in Staffordshire: The Cannock Chase Werewolf

'After the Burgot and Verdun werewolves had been found guilty (which was easy, since they confessed to the crimes), they were
burned alive on stakes. Their fate wasn't unexpected since their terrible crimes occurred amidst the notorious inquisitions and
witch trials.

When it comes to places traditionally associated with werewolves, Staffordshire in England doesn’t make the top 10 list; let alone
the top 100.  Yet it seems there’s a tradition of werewolf encounters in the county, centered around one spot –Cannock Chase. 
So what’s going on in this quiet, rural English spot?

Cannock Chase isn’t a village or a town but an area of countryside designed as an “Area of Outstanding Beauty” by the local
government.  Located near the towns of Stafford, Lichfield and Cannock; this rural area first hit the headlines when the remains
of three murdered girls were found in the late 1960s –they became known as the Cannock Chase Murders.

The first noted sighting of the suspected Cannock Chase werewolf dates back to 1975, when a local paranormal group investigated
a series of sightings of a ‘snarling beast’ which reared up onto its hind legs before disappearing into some bushes. 
Further reports came from a local scoutmaster and a postman who separately reported seeing the creature around the German War
Cemetery near Camp Road in Cannock Chase.
Their descriptions both matched –a large dog that suddenly stood on its hind legs, to a height of almost seven feet, and then vanished
into the bushes.

Recently, in 2012, another sighting of the creature further corroborates suspicions that a werewolf is on the prowl and not some type
of large, escaped dog as some have suggested.  According to the blog Cryptid Chronicles, the witness and his friend were parked
in a layby (an area where cars can pull off the road and park) when they saw something moving in the bushes, roughly 10 to 15 meters
from the car.

He turned on the headlights and realized he was looking at the outline of a human-like figure that stood 7-8 feet tall, judging by the
surrounding features.  When the creature noticed them, it began to charge the car which prompted the witnesses to drive away.

The appearances of the werewolf aren’t the only strangeness reported in the area.  In 2008, Cannock Chase was named on a
declassified Ministry of Defense report as a hot spot of reported UFO activity for the entire country. Sightings included balls of light,
cigar shaped UFOs and a 10-foot light hovering over Stafford Road.

If alien visitors and a werewolf weren’t enough, there’s some healthy cryptid competition from a “Big Cat” reportedly sighted in the
area back in 2005. Thought to be either a panther or a leopard, the creature appeared almost from nowhere and was spotted by
group enjoying their lunch at the Cannock Chase Enterprise Centre.
They described the creature as a muscular black cat, around three feet in length.

Is there a connection between all of these varied events occurring in one small area? For now, it remains a mystery and may simply
be just a coincidence that UFOs, large cryptid cats and werewolves all hang around one lonely spot in Staffordshire but somehow
that seems unlikely…'
SOURCE:
@"BIAD"  I think the Scout Master and Postman are Credible witnesses. If I was that mailman (Postman) I would be armed the next time I was delivering the mail.  smallmachinegun
(12-21-2018, 12:44 AM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD"  I think the Scout Master and Postman are Credible witnesses. If I was that mailman (Postman) I would
be armed the next time I was delivering the mail.  smallmachinegun

The only problem with this is that Bigfoot, Dog-men, orbs, ghosts and Ufos don't exist as far as accepted science
are concerned. The rational logistics regarding food, habitat and lack of physical evidence means that the Scout
Master, the Postman, Ninurta and Mystic Wanderer's witness accounts are either cases of mistaken observations
of something mundane, delusional or deliberately false.

With all respect to those above -and all the other thousands of witnesses of strange creatures and lights in the sky,
we are told by mainstream science that it must be so. Or... the world we live in isn't what the same academics have
led us to believe.

If only one experience is true, then everything we know has been a lie.
tinyhuh