Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This One Is For Ninurta.
Well, it seems that our favourite woods-runner has relatives in the UK who are still keeping up the habit
of deterring unwelcomed guests from their homes.

Quote:GRANBO
Gran shoots machete-wielding thug with a CROSSBOW after four yobs mistakenly stormed into her house.

'Weapons fan Anji, 49, opened fire on the four armed intruders who apparently mistook her house for a drugs
den while her mum Lilian, 82, slept upstairs.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3609][Image: attachment.php?aid=3610]

A GRAN told yesterday how she shot a masked thug with a crossbow after a machete gang burst into her home.
Weapons fan Anji Rhys, 49, says she grabbed the bow off her wall when four yobs raided her house, mistaking
it for a drugs den.

Anji, of Dunstable, Beds[Bedfordshire], said: “One tried to grab me but I shot him in the belly. Then they ran.
“I hit one in the belly at close range. He shouted, ‘You f***ing bitch! You shot me!”

Police questioned her — but unlike Hither Green burglary ­victim Richard Osborn-Brooks she was not arrested.
Ex-Thai boxer Anji was watching TV when the gang apparently mistook her home for a drugs den.

She said: “I heard what I thought was an explosion then I realised my door was being kicked in.
“I ran to see and was met by a masked man with a hammer.
“He was about 6ft 6in with a blue bandana hiding his face.

“The gang chased me into the living room so I grabbed my crossbow from the wall. I had a tussle with a second
man with a machete, a skinny man who walked with a stoop.

“He went to grab the bow but I managed to spin and shoot him in the belly with it at close range.
“He fell on me, cutting my hand with the machete. I remember seeing there was blood over the floor.”

The thugs, who had pinned Anji’s son Dillon to the floor, then fled. Anji said: “I felt such rage.
The audacity they would break into someone’s home.
“I was definitely in shock afterwards. I’m on medication for PTSD. But I’ll be ready for anyone else who tries to break in.

“I’ll always stand by my right to protect my family.”
Police were called to the house in Dunstable, Beds, and questioned Anji.

But they did not arrest her -unlike in the case of pensioner Richard Osborn-Brooks, who was held after stabbing to death
burglar Henry Vincent during a break-in at his home in Hither Green, South East London.
Police said Anji faces no action because no victim had come forward to report an attack.
They are investigating the break-in.

Officers did confiscate her crossbow, affectionately nicknamed Manstopper, which Anji keeps to defend Dillon, 22,
and her partner Rebecca McCarvel, 42.
She added: “I practise with it in my garden. The bolt I shot him with was six inches long and disappeared into him.
“He had to have gone somewhere for treatment. With all the blood I’m surprised police haven’t picked him up.”

Rebecca, a waste management worker, said: “All four men were shouting, ‘Keep your f***ing heads down.
Where’s the weed?’”
Anji’s head, hand and leg were injured. She has left her call centre job as a result of the raid.
Incredibly, Anji’s 82-year-old mum Lilian slept through the attack.
The crossbow is not the only weapon Anji keeps to ward off potential intruders.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3611]

She has a small arsenal of other weapons, each of which has a nickname -and a “bed kit” she keeps nearby at
night that includes a torch and a knife.
She used to have two dogs trained to bark if anyone set foot near her property.

Survivalist Anji said: “We need to pay much more attention to protecting ourselves, our homes and families.”
She fully supports Mr Osborn-Brooks, saying: “He was defending himself. What would the alternative have been?
Let himself be robbed? Be killed?

“I know I have weapons but the man I shot was carrying a weapon too.” Anji has a historic assault conviction but has
never been convicted over weapons.
Her mum Lilian, who has 27 grandchildren and 17 great- grandchildren, said: “Anji has always been ready for anything.”...'
SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Way to go Gran!  Show'em how it's done.   smallgreendancer minusculethumbsup
I have tried to follow this story, but if she did shoot some one with a cross bow bolt in the gut he would need medical help, so far he has not turned up to get medical help.
So is the story true or has granny spiced it up a bit.
At the moment in my mind there are too many questions unanswered.
I'm familiar with that crossbow - I have two just like it, one hanging on a wall here, one in my sisters attic. They are one-handed "pistol" crossbows. There are two draw weights - 50 lb (most common) and 80 lb. Most of the bolts you find are plastic, although I got lucky once and found a dozen aluminum bolts, which are heavier and have a greater impact. The plastic ones are pretty light, and don't hit very hard.

I also have two 150 lb draw full size crossbows hanging on the living room wall - one with a fiberglass prod, the other with a steel one. 3 long bows in the corner behind my chair, and several more in the process of being made (out of black locust), outside in the yard. 8 swords standing in a trash can beside my chair - one for ever day of the week, plus a spare. Two training bokkens - and remember that Miyamoto Musashi killed his first man at 13 with a training bokken - his opponent was a samurai, armed with a katana. A night stick, a riot baton, and 3 hand-carved war clubs reside in the same receptacle. 3 spears stand in the corner next to the entry door. Another sword (a wakizashi) has the place of honor at my bedpost, as does a shovel handle. 3 tomahawks. a battle axe. a bag full of knives. That's not even including the firearms.

I think I may have found a kindred spirit across the pond!

Anyone - or anything - trying to break in here will likely not have a fun time. Just this evening, a possum tried to get into the window beside my chair...

... the shot fired woke Grace from a sound sleep, for which I am deeply remorseful.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(04-24-2018, 06:02 PM)Wallfire Wrote: I have tried to follow this story, but if she did shoot some one with a cross bow bolt in the gut he would need medical help, so far he has not turned up to get medical help.
So is the story true or has granny spiced it up a bit.
At the moment in my mind there are too many questions unanswered.

It doesn't surprise me, but then I'm not familiar with the state of policing or the nuances of crime in the UK. Around here, criminal types who get injured doing crime are pretty reluctant to go to hospital, because the police will arrest and jail them. Even life-threatening injuries will get treated through back-channels in such cases.

Then again, if the miscreant actually died, he may never be found. I'm fairly sure one breaking into MY house would never be seen again, anyhow.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

@ Ninurta, thanks for the info about the crossbow used by the lady in question. If the bolts were made of plastic then they would of not penetrated very far into the human body, the outer clothing would of slowed the bolt down a lot. So its possible he was just frighten and only got a small wound .
(04-30-2018, 08:01 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...I also have two 150 lb draw full size crossbows hanging on the living room wall - one with a fiberglass prod,
the other with a steel one. 3 long bows in the corner behind my chair, and several more in the process of being
made (out of black locust), outside in the yard.

8 swords standing in a trash can beside my chair - one for ever day of the week, plus a spare.
Two training bokkens...

...A night stick, a riot baton, and 3 hand-carved war clubs reside in the same receptacle.
3 spears stand in the corner next to the entry door.
Another sword (a wakizashi) has the place of honor at my bedpost, as does a shovel handle.
3 tomahawks. a battle axe. a bag full of knives. That's not even including the firearms...
What about a vase...? A carved piece of wooden art?
There's a definite theme running through your choice of ornaments.
smallcrackingup 
 There's still been no news of the bolt-shot burglar, maybe he's laid in a ditch somewhere.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(04-30-2018, 10:04 AM)BIAD Wrote: What about a vase...? A carved piece of wooden art?
There's a definite theme running through your choice of ornaments.
smallcrackingup 
 There's still been no news of the bolt-shot burglar, maybe he's laid in a ditch somewhere.
minusculethumbsup

I thought the hand-carved war clubs counted as "carved pieces of wooden art"? Why, I carved the handle of one of them into a horse's leg! It wasn't easy, either. I made it out of what they call "piss elm" around here, and it's hard as a bullet... wore out a knife carving on that thing! Another, made from red oak, is what is called a "ball headed war club" by anthropologists, or "pokeshi" in native Shawnee. The ball at the head is carved as a snake's head - and that ain't art?

Puh-leeeze!

Grace does have a vase, btw, in the middle of the kitchen table. I bought it for her shortly after we were married, and disguised it with flowers... but I really selected it because just one rap on the kitchen counter will produce many jagged and sharp edges on it on my way to, erm, answer the door...

As for the unfortunate gent who encountered the crossbow bolt, if it did any real and deadly damage, then he may well be face down in a ditch somewhere... or at the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft or the like... or tossed in a river and floated out to sea by now. The possibilities are endless, but he ain't likely to bother granny any more in any case!