Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Canada] Van hits up to 10 pedestrians in Toronto.
Quote:Van hits up to 10 pedestrians in Toronto.

'The van that hit pedestrians in Toronto swerved across four lanes to hit passers-by "deliberately", a witness has told Sky News.
A second witness told Sky News he believes the collision was "on purpose".
Up to 10 pedestrians have been hit in Toronto, Canada's largest city, police have said.

In a Twitter post, Toronto Police said it was "too early" to confirm the number of those injured or their injuries.
The police say they have arrested the driver of the van but have not given any details on age, gender or possible motive
following the incident.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3635]

Footage from the scene appears to show a bald man who may be a possible suspect being arrested by Toronto Police.

Police were called just before 1.30pm local time to the corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, a busy area north of
downtown Toronto where the van mounted the pavement and collided with pedestrians.

Henry Miller, who works from home for a bank in Toronto and lives in an apartment overlooking the street, told Sky News:
"I heard a large amount of honking...and I stepped out onto the balcony to see what was causing the trouble and at this
point I saw a lady lying on the floor and the van driving off with people running around trying to help her."

The van "continued to swerve in and out of traffic all the way down", Mr Miller said, who added that he witnessed around
30 seconds of the incident but was unable to see the vehicle when it continued down the street.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3636]

He says he saw a "white van speeding probably 60-70mph down this major road, swerving to what I would say fairly
deliberately hit pedestrians and swerving in and out of traffic before eventually careering off into one of the other side
streets and out of view".

Mr Miller says there are "lots of police and fire engines and ambulances everywhere"
"I've not left my apartment yet, out of concern for my own safety."
Mr Miller says the van was swerving across all four lanes at speed.
Some streets, buildings and the subway have been shut down.

A second witness, Diego DeMatos, was driving on Yonge street in the opposite direction to the van and witnessed the
vehicle collide with pedestrians. He told Sky News: "We saw the last few people get hit when we were driving north on
Yonge Street which is one of the busiest streets in Toronto. I'm still a little bit shaken so sorry if I don't speak properly.

"We actually saw when the van hit the last few people that were on the sidewalk. We thought it was just a hit and run.
He kept driving… all I could see was dead bodies on the floor.

"As I was driving up north on Yonge I could see more and more people lying on the ground.
Then paramedics started to arrive and the police started to arrive so I wasn't really sure what was happening.
"I stopped to help one of the victims on the side of the road along with a few other people. It was a hard image to see"
"For sure a lot of them had really bad injuries and two or three I can't confirm if they were dead on the side of the road".

"It was on purpose. I don't know if he was drunk, I don't think so, or if he maybe had a medical condition that happened.
He was on the sidewalk and then on the road and then on the sidewalk and [the people] were all a few feet from each
other. Maybe it continued for about six blocks or so".

"Police were called to Yonge Street and Finch Avenue East, for a collision. A Media Sgt from traffic services is on their
way to the scene," the force said. "Too early to confirm the number of pedestrians struck or their injuries."

In an earlier tweet, the account posted: "Update: unknown of extent of injuries, possible 8 - 10 pedestrians struck further
when I get it." Video from the scene shows what appears to be up to four bodies.
At least seven people were brought to nearby Sunnybrook Health Services Centre's trauma centre, the hospital said on
Twitter.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3637]

Ryder, a rental and maintenance firm which operates "one of North America's largest fleet of trucks", has confirmed one
of its vehicles was involved in the incident and is cooperating with authorities.

The incident happened about 30 kms (18 miles) from downtown, where the Group of Seven foreign ministers of industrialised
nations, including Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK and US were meeting on Monday.

There was no noticeable change in security around the Intercontinental Hotel where the ministers gathered.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said officials were investigating...'
SOURCE:

'...The police say they have arrested the driver of the van but have not given any details on age,
gender or possible motive following the incident...'

'...Footage from the scene appears to show a bald man who may be a possible suspect being arrested
by Toronto Police...'

Of course, you wouldn't want hurt the man's and Trudeau's feelings by assigning him the wrong gender!
tinysure

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
What the hell...

It's pretty crappy reading stories like this "as they happen" because it's always "authorities haven't confirmed casualties" or "many injured", only to be replaced with a massive fatality count  tinycrying

I was following this as it happened and didn't think it would turn out this way, what a horrible way to go.
(04-23-2018, 11:35 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: What the hell...

It's pretty crappy reading stories like this "as they happen" because it's always "authorities haven't confirmed casualties" or "many injured", only to be replaced with a massive fatality count  tinycrying

I was following this as it happened and didn't think it would turn out this way, what a horrible way to go.

Yes it is a Horrible way to go. What I've seen so far.
Quote:9 dead, 16 injured after van strikes pedestrians in Toronto, sources say suspect is Alek Minassian
Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
As of just minutes ago,,,

Quote:Saunders said that the motive was not yet known.
“The actions definitely look deliberate,” he said. “There’s nothing on our files. There’s nothing that we have on him right now.”
“It looks intentional and as a result 10 people are now not with us," he added.
Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
It's a poor state of affairs when the Establishment move away from Islamist terrorists as the current threat
to mentally-defective individuals who like to hire vans. It says a lot about the ideology and it's ranking in the
list of belief systems!!

smallroflmao

By the way, it seems that some of the media are saying the reason Alek Minassian may have done this
because the girls wouldn't let him ... yer' know, do it. The world has changed so much and I don't know
how the young people deal with these realities.
tinysure
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.