Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[UK] What's In A Name.
At a time when countries are looking at each other with suspicious scrutiny and there's an itch to press that
nuclear button, others are dealing with a problem that some may say has merit.

Quote:Bell End road name 'will not be changed', says council.

'A street called Bell End will keep its name, despite calls for the "rude" road name to be changed.
A petition was started in January by residents of the Rowley Regis street, who said the "offensive" name makes
them a laughing stock and children a target for bullies.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3558]

But thousands signed a counter-petition to keep the "historic" name.
Sandwell Council has said it has not received copies of either petition and there are no plans to change Bell End.

The original petition, backed by about 100 supporters, told the Labour-run council it was "time for a change", even
to a similar name, such as Bell Road. But people from all over the world supported local historian Linda George when
she set up her own petition saying Bell End should stay as it is.

Sandwell Council said: "In order for anything to happen, the council would have to receive a copy of a petition,
but that hasn't happened, so there will be no change.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3559]
Linda George, who likes Bell End.

Mrs George, who lives in Worcester, said her great uncle, Albert Harrold, lived in Bell End and, after he was killed
during World War One, his widow Sarah Jane and their children ran a shop there until about 1960.
She had originally believed the name had come from a local mine, which dated back to the 1800s.

But discussions among a history group she runs called I Remember Blackheath and Rowley Regis, now suggest
it may come from a bell attached to a hunting lodge belonging to King John in the 12th Century, which was set in
what is now Rowley Regis.

"I'm very pleased the council aren't going ahead with it," Mrs George said.
"The locals that I have been speaking to say they just can't understand why this first came about.
"I think they haven't gone any further with the petition because they just didn't have the support."...'
BBC:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Can some one explane to me why "bell end" is rude
(04-11-2018, 01:30 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Can some one explane to me why "bell end" is rude

I Can't,,,, but I'm like you, I'd like to know to.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Only explanation I can think of is, the ones who want to change the name must be Liberals; they are offended by EVERYTHING!   tinywondering
uhhm..... A "Bell End" is a UK euphemism for the "Bell-shaped" end of a Penis. (Ding Dong!!)

You could be called a Bell-End for behaving like a dick...

tinysurprised
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
I am sorry for the lack of interpretation, Gordi's explanation is correct.

I was being silly... a moment of frivolity!!

Anyway, I'll be phoning an Aunt in her Dorset village tonight...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3560]

smallcrackingup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-11-2018, 11:42 AM)BIAD Wrote:
Quote:[Image: attachment.php?aid=3559]
Linda George, who likes Bell End.
BBC:

"Linda George, who likes Bell End"...

HAHAHAHAHAA!

It hurts, it HURTS! Make it stop! laughter is an alien thing to me, and may adversely affect my health! Too much oxygen!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(04-11-2018, 03:08 PM)gordi Wrote: uhhm..... A "Bell End" is a UK euphemism for the "Bell-shaped" end of a Penis. (Ding Dong!!)

tinysurprised

American translation in equivalency: "Dick Head"...

... which Linda George apparently "likes"...

Oh shit, I've got to leave this thread - this much oxygenation could cause an explosion!
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(04-14-2018, 09:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...."Linda George, who likes Bell End"...

It's only what I'd heard.

tinyshocked

I mean, some people collect stamps and some like cat pictures. Linda enjoys something else, that's all.
tinywondering
(04-14-2018, 09:59 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 09:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...."Linda George, who likes Bell End"...

It's only what I'd heard.

tinyshocked

I mean, some people collect stamps and some like cat pictures. Linda enjoys something else, that's all.
tinywondering

It could have been worse.... if they'd interviewed the local priest for example?
tinysurprised

Now, strangely and probably completely unconnected.... an old funny Scottish song about a town called Effen just popped into my head!
That was weird.
I now need to go find it and post a link here for you!
2 secs...

(04-14-2018, 10:28 PM)gordi Wrote: Now, strangely and probably completely unconnected.... an old funny Scottish song about a town called Effen
just popped into my head!
That was weird.
I now need to go find it and post a link here for you!
2 secs...

That's a lot of effen bees, Gordi.
I've heard people identify these insects further south too... even priests have stated where they've
originated from after being stung.
tinysurprised
(04-11-2018, 03:08 PM)gordi Wrote: uhhm..... A "Bell End" is a UK euphemism for the "Bell-shaped" end of a Penis. (Ding Dong!!)

tinysurprised

Sorry but I have to ask, does this mean all bell ringers are wank#rs, since they are pulling there bell ends ??
(04-16-2018, 12:56 PM)Wallfire Wrote:

tinysurprised

Sorry but I have to ask, does this mean all bell ringers are wank#rs, since they are pulling there bell ends ??

Yes. Campanologists do enjoy a good tug as Evensong approaches.
Across the land on Sundays, enthusiastic bell-ringers are bringing themselves to a frenzied bliss beneath the
chimes of their chosen gong.

It's traditional, so it's okay.
tinywondering
(04-16-2018, 02:00 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 12:56 PM)Wallfire Wrote:

tinysurprised

Yes. Campanologists do enjoy a good tug as Evensong approaches.
Across the land on Sundays, enthusiastic bell-ringers are bringing themselves to a frenzied bliss beneath the
chimes of their chosen gong.

It's traditional, so it's okay.
tinywondering

Another reason why I miss England  tinywondering
(04-16-2018, 02:03 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Another reason why I miss England  tinywondering

There are other pastimes.

When the rain subsides and the green hills glisten over the tiny cottages and mosques,
one can find merry folk enjoying themselves in the pagan art of shopping-trolley racing.
It's said that's why some UK Freshwater fish have stripes on their flanks, marks caused by
strong currents and these meshed vehicles being dumped in the rivers.

The pastime of knife-juggling that was prevalent in the days of the Tudor reign has evolved
into what London enjoys these days. The stabbings are merely fallout of this hobby.

When St. Columba arrived in Britain during the Dark Ages and announced all gay people should
be thrown from rooftops, some of the peasants that ran to greet him were surprised when he
told them of a game called 'Innit'

This sport continues up to today and often can be heard outside fish'n chip shops as our young
folk wait for the local drug-dealer... "Ah' can't get a job fur' some reason, innit?"
It's like listening to a flock of nightingales.

Throwing bricks from a bridge onto passing vehicles on a motorway below is also a fun recreation
for Brits. Since self-accountability has been outlawed by the Gods of Westminster, one can rely on
the National Health Service to solve the problem of removing windscreen glass from a face or two.

I'm just glad that media companies like BBC, ITV and Sky haven't dulled the commonsense of the
British population and turned them into consumer-zombies. These bastions of truth still attempt to
help the people of Albion and show them that money isn't everything.

Poverty should be embraced and land-banking is only something Russians do.
'Enthusiastic' driving across Westminster Bridge with intent to kill, is a positive facet of the compatibility
of the Muslim religion and when looking to employ the best, a black lesbian in a wheelchair is the correct
decision because it makes you feel better.
Acid violently applied to the face improves your chances of starring on BBC 2's Newsnight.
Thank you mainstream media... thank you.

Oh yes, it's heavenly over here.
tinyshocked
In the early 80s I was for a few years in GB, ( got sent there by my evil boss) returned in the middle 90s and was shocked by the massive change, sad to say GB had become a third world.
The young people were "empty" with no sense of belonging to anywhere, and so full of PC and me me me . 
In the early 2000s I was working with young Brits here, they had low IQ and very little concept of taking responsibility for themselves and what they do ( these were uni students). They expected to pass courses without doing anything, and shouted if they failed. Students from other countries in Europe worked and took the "knocks of life" in there stride.
Sad sad what has happened to GB.
(04-16-2018, 04:02 PM)Wallfire Wrote: ...The young people were "empty" with no sense of belonging to anywhere, and so full of PC and me me me . 
In the early 2000s I was working with young Brits here, they had low IQ and very little concept of taking
responsibility for themselves and what they do ( these were uni students).

They expected to pass courses without doing anything, and shouted if they failed...

Yep... because in the television series or movie, the virtuous youngsters who are friendly and don't
deal with the same emotions everyone else in the real world has, they're never punished with failing.

To fail is the reason for looking inside oneself and learning a lesson that is supposed to be done far
earlier than the late-teens or early-twenties. For most of their lives, monsters were only on the internet
and were always slain.

The brainwashing is a terrible act by those who were supposed to teach the youngsters how to live in the
outside world and adulthood is a condition they believed meant mentally dying.
Out here, there's no 'save-game' facility.
You need to move to Scotland...
(04-16-2018, 07:36 PM)gordi Wrote: You need to move to Scotland...

Scotland???? now that name "rings a bell"
(04-16-2018, 07:36 PM)gordi Wrote: You need to move to Scotland...

I had considered it, since that's where some of my forbears came from, then decided against it because I never really took a shine to ass-whoopin's, and I'm fairly sure I'd have to carry a few of 'em.

I compensated by striking up a friendship with a lovely red-haired, blue-eyed lass from Ayrshire. I didn't pack an ass-whoopin' then because my legs were longer and I could outrun 'er.