Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[UK] Bodies of 'hundreds' of children buried in mass grave.
One day, when all of this is truly revealed, it'll be a helluva eye-opener.

Quote:Bodies of 'hundreds' of children buried in mass grave.

'The bodies of hundreds of children are believed to be buried in a mass grave in Lanarkshire,
according to an investigation by BBC News.
The children were all residents of a care home run by Catholic nuns.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2439]

At least 400 children are thought to be buried in a section of St Mary's Cemetery in Lanark.
The Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul, which ran the home, refused to comment on
the findings.

The research by the File on 4 programme in conjunction with the Sunday Post newspaper
focused on Smyllum Park Orphanage in Lanark.
It opened in 1864 and provided care for orphans or children from broken homes. It closed in 1981,
having looked after 11,600 children.

A burial plot, containing the bodies of a number of children, was uncovered by two former residents
of Smyllum in 2003. Frank Docherty and Jim Kane discovered an overgrown, unmarked section of
St Mary's Cemetery during their efforts to reveal physical abuse which they said many former
residents had suffered.

In 2004, the campaigners said the Daughters of Charity told them their records suggested that children
had been buried in 158 compartments in the graveyard. Frank and Jim, who both died earlier this year,
believed however, that the numbers were far higher as the nuns had indicated their records were
incomplete.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2440]

The investigation by File on 4 and the Sunday Post indicates they were right; at least 400 children are
understood to be buried in the plot.
"Oh my God, I've got goose pimples. It's shocking," said Frank Docherty's widow, Janet.
"He had been trying for years to find a figure and he didn't get anywhere. That's unbelievable."

The death records indicate that most of the children died of natural causes, from diseases common at
the time such as TB, pneumonia and pleurisy. Analysis of the records show that a third of those who died
were aged five or under.

Very few of those who died, 24 in total, were aged over 15, and most of the deaths occurred between
1870 and 1930. One of those believed to be buried there is Francis McColl. He died in 1961, aged 13;
his death certificate indicates he died from a brain haemorrhage.

His brother Eddie spent decades wondering what had happened to Francis.
At one point, he heard he'd been struck on the head by a golf club, which now chimes with the evidence
of the death certificate.
But Eddie could find no trace of where his brother had been buried.

"It's ridiculous," he says. "I'm not happy about that. Whoever is behind this, I hope they can live with
themselves." Many allegations of abuse at the care home were also uncovered by File on 4 and the
Sunday Post, including beatings, punches, public humiliations and psychological abuse.

This case mirrors the investigation into the Tuam mother and baby home, an Irish institution run by a
religious order, where it is thought nearly 800 babies and young children died and were buried in
unmarked graves between the 1920s and 1960s.

What happened at Smyllum is one of the topics that the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry is examining.
Two representatives of the Daughters of Charity gave evidence to the inquiry this summer in which
they said they could find no records of any abuse taking place.

The nuns refused to respond to detailed questions from reporters about how many people were
buried in the mass grave.
In a statement, they said they were "co-operating fully" with the Child Abuse Inquiry and that they believed
that was the "best and most appropriate forum for such investigations".

They continued: "...as Daughters of Charity our values are totally against any form of abuse and thus,
we offer our most sincere and heartfelt apology to anyone who suffered any form of abuse whilst in our care".

How the figures were calculated
Since 1855, there has been a legal duty in Scotland to register a death.
Those death records are available for scrutiny at the National Records for Scotland office in Edinburgh.
The records contain details such as the name and age of the deceased as well as what they died of and
their usual place of residence.

After focusing on those people under 18 who'd been resident at Smyllum, the BBC and Sunday Post
checked local burial records for Lanark, which today are held with South Lanarkshire Council.
They found no evidence that the dead had been buried.
Some children were sent to the home from other places across central Scotland, so spot checks were
also made with a number of other areas. Burial records were discovered in Glasgow for two of the dead.
No other area we approached could find any burial record for the names we asked them to check.

As the Daughters of Charity have previously indicated that children were buried in an unmarked plot at
the cemetery, and that their records are incomplete, all the bodies are believed to be buried in the graveyard.
The method is a replica of that used to expose a mass grave in the Irish Republic...'

SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Lanark's not too far from me.

Strangely it's next door neighbour "New Lanark" is the site where modern ideas on social care were first founded in the UK.
In the 18th Century, entrepreneur and enlightened social reformer Robert Owen founded a woolen mill with good accommodation for poorer families, fair wages, education, healthcare and the worlds First Every workplace nursery!
It pioneered all of the "modern" ideas about safe and happy workplaces & social care itself.

New Lanark Heritage Centre

So sad that over a hundred years later just up the road "hundreds" of children were being mistreated and then buried in unmarked mass graves. Another shining example of the virtue of religious institutions.

I feel a little bit sick just thinking about it.

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
As soon as I read, "The children were all residents of a care home run by Catholic nuns", I said to myself, 'Self, this ain't gonna be good".   I was right.  tinycrying 

The second thought that came into my mind was, 'What if someone comes along someday way off in the future and doesn't realize this unmarked plot has hundreds of unmarked graves there, and they start building over top of it?'

Not only is this a disgrace and disrespectful to the children who are buried there, but it leaves yet another black stain on the Catholic Church.

I still say this church is run by a satanic force disguised as good. The more I learn, the more I'm proven correct.

(No disrespect to any Catholics who may be reading this. You probably don't know the true history of the Catholic church, or else you wouldn't be participating in it's practices, unless you are Satanists. Maybe time for you to do some deep research into what you are worshiping.)
(09-10-2017, 02:01 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: ...As soon as I read, "The children were all residents of a care home run by Catholic nuns", I said to myself, 'Self, this ain't
gonna be good".   I was right.  tinycrying 

Quote:
'I was abused by nuns for a decade' at Smyllum Park.

'A former resident of a Scottish orphanage run by Catholic nuns has described the sexual,
physical and mental abuse she suffered at the home.

Theresa Tolmie-McGrane told the BBC she was sexually abused from the age of eight at the
Smyllum Park Orphanage, Lanark, in the 1970s.
The care home, run by the Daughters of Charity Order, closed in 1981.

A spokesperson said the order was "shocked and saddened" by the allegations.
Ms Tolmie-McGrane, who is now a psychologist working in Norway, arrived at the South Lanarkshire
orphanage in 1968 when she was six years old.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2474][Image: attachment.php?aid=2475]

She told BBC Stories: "Every child was beaten, punished, locked in a dark room, made to eat their
own vomit and I would say that most of us had our mouths rinsed out with carbolic soap."
Ms Tolmie-McGrane said she was first sexually abused at the home by a priest when she was eight.

"I had a little part-time job cleaning the pews in the church and this particular priest would arrive early
and he would ask me to go into a particular room with him and he would ask me to sit on his lap and
fondle him. "He tried to fondle me and I just pulled away."

She also recalled how in one "horrible incident" one of the nuns had walked in on the priest abusing her.
"Instead of being angry at him, she got really angry at me. She yanked me by the left arm so hard and
flung me across the room and called me a whore and told me to get out of there.
"I didn't know my arm was broken at the time. It was only the day after that we realised."

She added: "I think in some ways it was worse than just sexual abuse because I was punished with th
 broken arm for doing something a priest had forced me to do."

Ms Tolmie-McGrane told the BBC she had suffered years of "systematic abuse" at Smyllum Park,
including being hit on the head with a wooden crucifix.
She said the psychological abuse started after she started at secondary school when one of the nuns
had tried to "break" her down.

"She almost made it such that I didn't get to university. She did everything she could to sabotage,"
Ms Tolmie-McGrane said.
"I've never met someone who tried to destroy another person in such a systematic way. Thank God
she didn't succeed."
Ms Tolmie-McGrane left the home when she was 17 and went on to study at the University of Glasgow.

A spokesperson for the Daughters of Charity Order said in a statement: "We are shocked and saddened
by these accounts describing acts that are alleged to have happened at Smyllum Park nearly 50 years ago.
"We would urge anyone who believes they have been victim of a crime to contact the police, who will then
work with our safeguarding team.

"We are also core participants in the ongoing Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, and will continue to work with
the inquiry, and any other inquiries or investigations, for as long as required.
"We would like to offer sincere and heartfelt apology to anyone who suffered any form of abuse while at
our facilities."

Ms Tolmie-McGrane's account follows a recent BBC and Sunday Post investigation which found that the
bodies of at least 400 children who died there may be buried in a mass grave at the home.
But prosecutors said on Tuesday there was no evidence of crimes being committed at the orphanage.
The children were buried in the cemetery plot between 1864 and 1981.

The Crown Office said it recognised the level of public concern, but said there was currently no evidence
of criminal activity. The orphanage was home to more than 11,000 children over the 117 years before it
closed.
Former residents of the orphanage uncovered the burial plot at nearby St Mary's cemetery in 2003.
Research into death records of children who lived there showed that most died of natural causes, from
common diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia and pleurisy...'

SOURCE:

'..."He tried to fondle me and I just pulled away."...'
'...including being hit on the head with a wooden crucifix...'
'...beaten, punished, locked in a dark room...'
'... made to eat their own vomit...'
'...most of us had our mouths rinsed out with carbolic soap."...'

'...The Crown Office said it recognised the level of public concern, but said there was currently no evidence
of criminal activity...'

Smyllum Park Orphanage in Lanark closed in the 1980s... so there wouldn't be any 'current' evidence of
criminal activity, you bastards.

It's always the same... past-posting on the complaints. Scandals such as this one only surfaces after the
last culprit is dead. It's a policy that the BBC know well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.