Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Yellowstone Nation Park
(09-02-2017, 03:49 AM)guohua Wrote:
Quote:Still, the ongoing swarm is now one of the longest and largest on record. The largest swarm ever recorded was in October 1985; it lasted for three months and included more than 3,000 earthquakes.

There was another large swarm in 2010, when more than 2,000 events were recorded over a month.
Source

Hmmm... 1985 to 2010 = 25 years apart, 2010 to 2017 = 7 years apart... me does think the contractions are getting closer...    mediumsaywhat
@"Spirit Scribe"  I Agree with you, the occurrences are getting stronger and closer together.
But Hey, if you listen to J. Farrell you have nothing to worry,,,,, just come on out and enjoy yourself as the ground Swells and Rumbles Under Your Feet.
I don't think you'll see him there anywhere.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
After I answered Spirit Scribe in the post above, I found this and I think it is something we all should know about, The Big Question is this,,,,,, Which angency knows better about the condition of Yellowstone Super Volcano and the possibility of an Eruption.
NASA or the Geologist at the national park?  minusculethinking
Quote:NASA has been told to back off from its plan to stop the Yellowstone supervolcano from erupting by drilling into it.

A geologist at the national park said the proposal could have dire consequences, including killing scores of animals.

The warning comes after the US space agency revealed its options to prevent the volcano from exploding, including drilling into the bottom to release heat from it.

Fears were immediately raised the “risky” plan could actually backfire and trigger an eruption – potentially triggering a deadly nuclear winter.

Despite warning something must be done about the Yellowstone threat, Brian Wilcox, an ex-member of the NASA Advisory Council on Planetary Defence, warned the plan could cause an eruption.

And now Dr Jefferson Hungerford, who works at Yellowstone, has warned NASA scientists to stay away from the volcano.

He said: “Messing with a mass that sits underneath our dynamic Yellowstone would potentially be harmful to life around us.

“It would potentially be a dangerous thing to play around with.”

And he questioned whether the drilling could even work, saying “we’re not there scientifically”.
Quote:Dr Hungerford also said there is no need for anything to be done at Yellowstone, adding: “We won’t see [an eruption]. Very likely we will never see it.”

Earth has 20 known supervolcanoes, which if they erupted, would trigger planet-changing effects.

Major eruptions are incredibly rare, with the last one approximately 26,500 years ago in New Zealand.

But if a similar event occurred today, it would cause a nuclear winter with humans wiped out in just a few months from starvation.
Source
So,,,,,,, With NASA's Concern about an Eruption and the Local USGS More concerned that NASA will create a problem and we do have a lot of activity at Yellowstone,,,, Should we just Leave It Alone or allow NASA to try and relieve some Pressure and postpone or halt the Nuclear Winter?
It's Going To Blow, the real question is,,,,,, How Soon?
Quote:Should we just Leave It Alone or allow NASA to try and relieve some Pressure and postpone or halt the Nuclear Winter?

That's a tricky question. As you asked, which department knows more?  I think I'll go with leaving it alone. NASA studies space, not volcanoes.  That's the best answer I have.   tinyshocked
(09-03-2017, 01:33 AM)guohua Wrote: After I answered Spirit Scribe in the post above, I found this and I think it is something we all should know about, The Big Question is this,,,,,, Which angency knows better about the condition of Yellowstone Super Volcano and the possibility of an Eruption.
NASA or the Geologist at the national park?  minusculethinking
Quote:NASA has been told to back off from its plan to stop the Yellowstone supervolcano from erupting by drilling into it.

A geologist at the national park said the proposal could have dire consequences, including killing scores of animals.

The warning comes after the US space agency revealed its options to prevent the volcano from exploding, including drilling into the bottom to release heat from it.

Fears were immediately raised the “risky” plan could actually backfire and trigger an eruption – potentially triggering a deadly nuclear winter.

Despite warning something must be done about the Yellowstone threat, Brian Wilcox, an ex-member of the NASA Advisory Council on Planetary Defence, warned the plan could cause an eruption.

And now Dr Jefferson Hungerford, who works at Yellowstone, has warned NASA scientists to stay away from the volcano.

He said: “Messing with a mass that sits underneath our dynamic Yellowstone would potentially be harmful to life around us.

“It would potentially be a dangerous thing to play around with.”

And he questioned whether the drilling could even work, saying “we’re not there scientifically”.
Quote:Dr Hungerford also said there is no need for anything to be done at Yellowstone, adding: “We won’t see [an eruption]. Very likely we will never see it.”

Earth has 20 known supervolcanoes, which if they erupted, would trigger planet-changing effects.

Major eruptions are incredibly rare, with the last one approximately 26,500 years ago in New Zealand.

But if a similar event occurred today, it would cause a nuclear winter with humans wiped out in just a few months from starvation.
Source
So,,,,,,, With NASA's Concern about an Eruption and the Local USGS More concerned that NASA will create a problem and we do have a lot of activity at Yellowstone,,,, Should we just Leave It Alone or allow NASA to try and relieve some Pressure and postpone or halt the Nuclear Winter?

Here you go.. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/kslnewsradio/...thquake%2F

And here you go to go along with that.

http://www.distancebetweencities.net/sod...k_wy/route
@"Grace"  Looks like things are getting shook'en up there.
I read an article (some where) that the molten rock was much deeper and larger than they originally thought.
Here is an article to support @"Grace"  post.
Quote:SODA SPRINGS, Idaho (AP) -- The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 5.3 earthquake has rumbled through southeast Idaho.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
The agency reported four separate quakes Saturday evening in an area about 63 miles from Pocatello and 130 miles from Salt Lake City, where tremors were felt.
The largest quake at magnitude 5.3 struck just before 6 p.m. local time. The USGS said a handful of smaller quakes followed for about an hour.
The agency says only slight damage occurs with earthquakes at that level of intensity.
Source
(09-03-2017, 04:44 AM)guohua Wrote: @"Grace"  Looks like things are getting shook'en up there.
I read an article (some where) that the molten rock was much deeper and larger than they originally thought.

I'm not sure how many miles the magma chamber is to this new earthquake ... but I figured it's probably close enough to raise an eyebrow with the recent swarms going on inside Yellowstone..
Well .. strange sounds picked it up as being a possible connection.. 

http://strangesounds.org/2017/09/m5-3-ea...-park.html
Quote:The park is a supervolcano so enormous, it has puzzled geophysicists for decades, but now a research group, using seismic technology to scan its depths, have made a bombshell discovery.

Yellowstone's magma reserves are many magnitudes greater than previously thought, say scientists from the University of Utah.

Underneath the national park's attractions and walking paths is enough hot rock to fill the Grand Canyon nearly 14 times over. Most of it is in a newly discovered magma reservoir, which the scientists featured in a study published on Thursday in the journal Science.
It may help scientists better understand why Yellowstone's previous eruptions, in prehistoric times, were some of Earth's largest explosions in the last few million years.
Yes the magma chambers are deeper and far larger than they thought.
So, I think Yes those earth quakes in Idaho are connected.

Quote:The Utah scientists also created the first three-dimensional depiction of the geothermal structure under Yellowstone, which comprises three parts.
See the video at the Source.

Quote:Yellowstone's ultimate heat source reaches down 440 to 1,800 miles beneath Earth's surface -- and may come from its molten core.
It is responsible for fueling the newly discovered reservoir that lies on top of it.

The magma chamber, which scientists already knew about, lies on top of the reservoir -- and draws magma from it.
It is a three to nine miles under the surface of the Earth and is what fuels the geysers, steaming puddles and other hot attractions.

It alone has a volume 2.5 times that of the Grand Canyon.

But those great magma expanses do not mean that the two hellish hollows could overflow the Grand Canyon with molten rock.
[Image: 150424045056-university-of-utah-yellowst...ge-169.jpg] Source
Ok, I just want to go on record on here, and say that we in East Tennessee may have a quake coming. My cat and my neighbor's dog have been really clingy and unsettled the past couple of days, and just a minute ago my cat came creeping into the room where I'm on the computer. He was moving in slow motion and laying low to the floor, and he went in my closet and hid somewhere. He was moving like we have a bad storm in the area, but it's nice and clear. 

I'm a big believer in animals picking up on things we humans have become too "civilized" to feel most of the time.

tinybighuh
@"Spirit Scribe" Keep an eye on your animals and stay safe.
(09-04-2017, 02:17 AM)guohua Wrote: @"Spirit Scribe" Keep an eye on your animals and stay safe.

Actually he came out a while later acting fine. He's not been weird since. I know we have a high number of small tremors up through the East TN valley, so maybe he was picking up on that. I remember a couple years ago, maybe three, I was leaving a friend's house around midnight or 1, and I stepped outside into the strangest feeling. It felt like someone was watching me, and I kept looking up, expecting to see a huge UFO sitting over my head! I went home and directly to sleep, and I heard the next morning that we had a M2+ earthquake about an hour and a half after I felt that weird energy. If it was strong enough for ME to feel, it had to be STRONG!

Also about 6 years ago I was about to leave work one night and somebody posted on FB about the strange glow from the west end of town and they asked if maybe there was a huge fire somewhere. I immediately posted "Oh no, I hope it's not earthquake lights!" Same thing... except this was 23 hours later, we had a M2+ earthquake on the west end!

Way back in the early 80s I think, we had one centered near Kingsport that damaged houses and broke windows in a several mile radius. Still all small, but we're really not designed for a big one. A lot of people around here think it's just California and other countries' problem! 

Oh, and the BOOMs from a few years back. I was outside for one of them, and it scared the poo out of me. I was certain a gas station had blown up or something it was so deafening loud. I was walking on pavement at the time, and it felt like I had been standing on a board that was hit from beneath with a sledge hammer. Reverberated up my legs to about my knees. But seismographs showed nothing in the area... yea right.
Up-Date!!!!
There has been another 200 quakes just since the 2nd. of Sept.
Quote:The earthquake swarm in Southeast Idaho looked like it might be ending or at least slowing down on Thursday and Friday.

But then Saturday arrived and by day's end 19 quakes had struck.

There have been 34 more temblors so far Sunday, bringing the earthquake total since the swarm began on Sept. 2 to 204 quakes. All of the quakes have occurred in the Caribou County area east, southeast and northeast of Soda Springs.

They have been felt throughout Southeast Idaho and as far away as Logan, Ogden and Salt Lake City in northern Utah.
Earthquake experts say the worst-case scenario is that the swarm ends with a destructive 7.0 magnitude quake that will destroy buildings and kill people, but the chances of that are slim.
LINK

[Image: 59b5b093361e6.image.jpg]
:mediumomg:  There are always earthquakes after a solar flare. We got skimmed by that last "Planet Killer", so I hope it doesn't upset anything having to do with this.   tinycrying
Ooooooooooooo!  This isn't good.   tinybighuh

[Image: 0fc11bbe9b9ae771bca1e9d037d821f0]

Quote:The ongoing earthquake swarm at the Yellowstone National Park supervolcano is now the longest ever recorded, having started on June 12. Over the past three and a half months, almost 2,500 earthquakes have been recorded in the western part of the national park. This puts it on a par with the biggest swarm ever recorded, where more than 3,000 earthquakes took place over three months.
The swarm in no way signals an impending eruption, and it appears now to be coming to an end. However, experts at the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) say it has been “fascinating” to monitor and are eager to learn more about it in their analysis of the event.
In a monthly update about activity at Yellowstone, the USGS said 115 earthquakes had been reported in the park during September. Of these, 78 were part of the ongoing swarm 6 miles north of West Yellowstone. The biggest event in the swarm last month was magnitude 2.3.
Source
Up-Date! 
Quote:Yellowstone supervolcano could blow faster than thought, destroy all of mankind
minusculespooked
Quote:Arizona State University researchers have analyzed minerals around the supervolcano at Yellowstone National Park and have come to a startling conclusion. It could blow much faster than previously expected, potentially wiping out life as we know it.

According to National Geographic, the researchers, Hannah Shamloo and Christy Till, analyzed minerals in fossilized ash from the most recent eruption. What they discovered surprised them – the changes in temperature and composition only took a few decades, much faster than the centuries previously thought.
“We expected that there might be processes happening over thousands of years preceding the eruption,” said Till said in an interview with the New York Times.

Quote:The supervolcano last erupted about 630,000 years ago, according to National Geographic. Prior to that, it was 1.3 million years ago, per a report from ZME Science

If another eruption were to take place, the researchers found that the supervolcano would spare almost nothing in its wrath. It would shoot 2,500 times more material than Mount St. Helen did in 1980 and could cover most of the continguous U.S. in ash, possibly putting the planet into a volcanic winter.

The new discovery, which was presented in August after a previous version of the study, comes after another study in 2011 which found the magma reservoir in Yellowstone has moved considerably, gaining about 10 inches in seven years.

"It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," the University of Utah's Bob Smith, an expert in Yellowstone volcanism, told National Geographic six years ago.

Quote:Despite the concerns about an eruption happening relatively soon, Shamloo told The Times that more research needed to be done before a definite conclusion could be drawn.

n June, the supervolcano was hit with more than 400 earthquakes in one week, though researchers cautioned it was nothing nothing to be alarmed about.

For its part, NASA is working on a way to prevent the supervolcano from destroying mankind, including trying to cool the magma before it spills over.

Link
Where's my megaphone?!  Obviously, my space brothers didn't hear me the fist two times I hollered for them to come get me off this planet!

Oh... here it is.  
                                  [Image: thun1200_500x500.jpg]

"Hello, space brothers! Please come pick me up. I'm ready to leave now!"   tinysurprised
(10-12-2017, 11:59 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Where's my megaphone?!  Obviously, my space brothers didn't hear me the fist two times I hollered for them to come get me off this planet!

Oh... here it is.  
                                  [Image: thun1200_500x500.jpg]

"Hello, space brothers! Please come pick me up. I'm ready to leave now!"   tinysurprised

If they show up this time tell them to stay the #@!! away from me!   tinybigeyes
Update, Update, Update,,,,,, A Dump Too!
Quote:Quakes and eruptions spark talks of Yellowstone super volcano
Do you think there is a connection between the Hawaii Volcano and Yellowstone Very Large Volcano? 

Quote:A cluster of earthquakes at Yellowstone National Park followed by the fourth eruption of its usually dormant geyser has sparked speculation about the world’s largest super volcano.

Is the big one about to blow, blanketing the US with ash and sending the Earth into a volcanic ice age?

Probably not, but some of the signs are there.
But,,,,,,,
Quote:Steamboat hadn’t erupted since September 2014.

Then on March 15 this year, it blew back into life, followed by eruptions on April 19 and April 27.

On May 4, it erupted again, the fourth time in seven weeks. It is now the world’s tallest and most powerful active geyser.

The eruptions came on the back of earthquake activity at Yellowstone recorded by the US Geological Survey (USGS).

A swarm of more than 200 earthquakes struck Yellowstone over two weeks, starting on February 8 and increasing on February 15 in an area 13km northeast of West Yellowstone, Montana.

The USGS reported that a bigger series of tiny quakes hit the area but were too seismometers to record them.

A swarm indicates a shifting of the major tectonic plates beneath the Earth’s surface, or movements of water, gas or magma.

Source