Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dangerous scam phone call
This is why you should hang up IMMEDIATELY when a mystery caller asks if you can hear them

The question is part of a dangerous scam which would see you lose a lot of money.

Usually the caller will say some version of, “Can you hear me?”. That will prompt you to respond ‘yes’,
which is exactly what a dangerous new scam is hoping for.
Criminals have been ringing people, asking them the question and then recording their response.
That simple little ‘yes’ is then used to sign people up for all manner of products and services they don’t
want and probably haven’t even heard of.
The problem? Even if you insist to the company that you never agreed for their service, they will have
that all-important recording of you saying ‘yes’.Once they have a recording of you saying ‘yes’, scammers
will sign you up for things you don’t want
This is known as a voice signature and it can be used to show you’ve agreed to buy something, whether
we’re talking about a TV or a phone upgrade.
The worst case scenario is that they could threaten you with legal action if you don’t stump up payment.
Worryingly, the recording could even be used to give the go-ahead to credit card payments which have
been flagged as suspicious.
The scam has been sweeping America lately, with the concern that it won’t take long to hit the UK.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2958024/...hear-them/
Good-call, J.L.
Here in the UK, I'm inundated with phishing telephone calls, it seems that every-other hour,
there's a person who wants money!

Luckily, I manage to slip into a characte rand leave them saying (I hope!)... "Oh hell, I've got
a real crazy person this time!"

One Indian chap assured me he would never call again, even though I never asked him to!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Unless they one of the very select few on my accept call list call doesnt go through .... extremely rare that even bother answer calls from the select few ....
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(02-27-2017, 11:53 AM)Daitengu Wrote: Unless they one of the very select few on my accept call list call doesnt go through .... extremely rare that even bother answer calls from the select few ....

The 'select few' -I presume will distillers of whisky, brewery agents and certain Cuban outlets of the finest cigars, yes?!!
minusculethumbsup
BIAD
(02-27-2017, 11:53 AM)Daitengu Wrote: Unless they one of the very select few on my accept call list call doesnt go through .... extremely rare that even bother answer calls from the select few ....

The 'select few' -I presume will distillers of whisky, brewery agents and certain Cuban outlets of the finest cigars, yes?!!
minusculethumbsup

Nah ..... all that stuff falls off lorries on the motorway ..... oops ..... meant ..... howd ya guess ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(02-27-2017, 10:03 AM)Just Looking Wrote: This is why you should hang up IMMEDIATELY when a mystery caller asks if you can hear them

The question is part of a dangerous scam which would see you lose a lot of money.

Usually the caller will say some version of, “Can you hear me?”. That will prompt you to respond ‘yes’,
which is exactly what a dangerous new scam is hoping for.
Criminals have been ringing people, asking them the question and then recording their response.
That simple little ‘yes’ is then used to sign people up for all manner of products and services they don’t
want and probably haven’t even heard of.
The problem? Even if you insist to the company that you never agreed for their service, they will have
that all-important recording of you saying ‘yes’.Once they have a recording of you saying ‘yes’, scammers
will sign you up for things you don’t want
This is known as a voice signature and it can be used to show you’ve agreed to buy something, whether
we’re talking about a TV or a phone upgrade.
The worst case scenario is that they could threaten you with legal action if you don’t stump up payment.
Worryingly, the recording could even be used to give the go-ahead to credit card payments which have
been flagged as suspicious.
The scam has been sweeping America lately, with the concern that it won’t take long to hit the UK.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2958024/...hear-them/

Sorry JL, but this cropped up on UK radio the other week and was shown to be a complete hoax.

There isn't a single system or service which can be bought with a simple "yes" recorded or otherwise.
(To get to the point of agreeing to buy something vocally... your bank or service provider would already have had to comply with all of the other safety protocols already in place... passwords or unique reference numbers etc)

Even voice recognition systems which are coming on stream now require MUCH MORE than a simple "yes" to operate.

sorry.
G
Yes.

tinywondering
I don't even give telemarketers a chance.   I'm on a "no call" list, so if they call me anyway, I say hello, and when I hear the Indian or other person who tries to speak English, I hang up without a word!  They aren't supposed to call me anyway.   tinyok