Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A spooky war story that is true
The bird before us had been shot down while trying to resupply troops trapped on a steep ridge line. The Col. Had briefed us on the location and approach to the troops to be resupplied. We were in the cockpit while we were being briefed and our UH-1H was being loaded. After the Col. disconnected his head set and departed with his maps all of a sudden there was cold cold freezing mass of air that passed through the cockpit. It was so cold that as I looked to Bob my co-pilot he was looking at me and we both went Burrrrr and actually had our bodies shake ! The outside air temperature was at least 98 F and the UH-1h darn sure did not have air conditioning.

I took this super cold air mass as a possible warning and reconsidered our planned route to the drop off resupply point. We departed the PZ in our heavily laden bird and proceeded up to the ridge line. The Col. had recommended an East to West approach for the Snakes had supposedly gotten all the bad guys who had shot the prior supply bird down.. I figured B.S. due to the triple canopy jungle so I elected to fly over the ridge line on the opposite side of Where the first bird had been shot down. As we were in route one of our cover birds (Cobra) started taking fire from the same location as before.

As he was returning fire with everything he had we continued on and told the ground troops to pop smoke when we were about three minutes out of their supposed location. Sure enough, shortly there after, purple smoke started filtering up through the jungle and as we called "purple smoke" the ground troops said that the smoke was theirs. We got to the spot and my crew chief and door gunner kicked out several boxes of ammo, more smoke grenades, and medical supplies. As the supplies were kicked out I broke hard left and went the speed of heat down the severe slope of the ridge line and we were unscathed, undead, and unshot ...

I do not normally believe in such things but that day and to this very day Bob and I have thought, " Death or an angel passed through our cockpit to warn us that the route we were about to fly was not in our best interest."

South East Asia on a hot day with no thunderstorms in the area for a cold outflow of air...?.... Dunno... It was weird is all I can say....

Messages In This Thread
A spooky war story that is true - by 727Sky - 05-09-2019, 12:18 PM
RE: A spooky war story that is true - by guohua - 05-14-2019, 06:08 AM
RE: A spooky war story that is true - by Wallfire - 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM
RE: A spooky war story that is true - by guohua - 05-15-2019, 07:45 PM