Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who or What are the doppelgangers?
That is a good question.

I have never encountered one, Have You?
But I do believe in them as a picture or entity of our own future self.
I have a short video from Hunted Road Media that I thought was good.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(09-08-2020, 01:09 AM)guohua Wrote: That is a good question.

When I was active on TOS there was a guy who posted in one of my threads saying he had seen his doppelganger while driving on the interstate. He said he looked over and the guy on the other side of the road looked over at him at that same exact moment. He said it was him staring back at himself.
He was freaked out because he had heard that if you ever see your doppelganger, you'll die soon after.

I had lots of other doppelganger stories being told over there. Fascinating topic!
(09-08-2020, 01:09 AM)guohua Wrote: That is a good question.

Interesting and riveting stuff there. Thanks for posting this. Gave me a shiver. I hope I never meet my doppelgänger.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
I've never seen my doppelganger, but I know a woman who has.

In summer 1979, she saw me in a small town named Honaker, VA, walking down the street. She yelled and waved and tried every way she could to get my attention, to no avail. She was pretty upset that I was "ignoring" her.

I was overseas at the time, working.

When I got back to that area in December of that year, I went to see her and was met with a generous helping of ire for not responding to her when she saw me. Problem is, I wasn't there. I believe that to this day she is convinced it was me, but it wasn't. I was up to my ass in mud and blood and misery, far far away. To be honest, I was probably wishing I was in Honaker.

I don't really know who or what it is she saw, but she was - and likely still is - convinced it was me, and she knew me well, for years before that. It's hard to believe she was mistaken, and I wouldn't believe it, except I know where I was, and it wasn't there.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Another story on that thread over there

A man said he heard his wife upstairs making a fuss in the closet. He thought she was in the kitchen, so he went up to look. Saw her rumbling around in the closet, asked what she was doing and she only stared at him.   He went back downstairs only to see his wife in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes.

He said there was no way that could have happened because she would have had to pass him on the stairs to get to the kitchen.

tinyhuh
God damn, folks! Now my goosebumps have goosebumps! tinybighuh

I have not seen my own doppelgänger. But several doppelgängers of other people i know very well, after those people have died. And actually talked to one of those, in a mental asylum. That was my dead aunt. Seen my dead grandma's doppelgänger, dead grandpa's one also, to mention a few...

@"guohua"  asked who or what are the doppelgängers?

No idea. Maybe a copy + paste thing in the matrix.

[Image: 200.gif]
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Back in the late 80s wile I was working for a week in another city I seen a woman whos brother I knew. I was a bit surprised to see she was pregnant but not something that meant a lot to me so I just did not even think about it. By chance we met again at a cafe, she did not look pregnant so I stuptly asked her if she was. She answered  that she was NOT and why did people keep asking her this. So I went to my table and though no more about it.
Only now when I read this tread did  think she might of had a doppelganger
(09-08-2020, 09:09 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: God damn, folks! Now my goosebumps have goosebumps! tinybighuh

I have not seen my own doppelgänger. But several doppelgängers of other people i know very well, after those people have died. And actually talked to one of those, in a mental asylum. That was my dead aunt. Seen my dead grandma's doppelgänger, dead grandpa's one also, to mention a few...

@"guohua"  asked who or what are the doppelgängers?

No idea. Maybe a copy + paste thing in the matrix.

[Image: 200.gif]

The last time I seen dead (brain dead) people was when I had to sort some crap out with KELA ( Finn will understand)
(09-08-2020, 11:38 AM)Wallfire Wrote: The last time I seen dead (brain dead) people was when I had to sort some crap out with KELA ( Finn will understand)
Haha! Yes i understand completely! Thank you for the laughs! tinylaughing

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Many years ago, we had a Border Collie Dog called Spot.
He was quite distinctive, mostly white with one large black spot on one side, and a some black markings on the tail, muzzle and ears.
I have always been quite tall (Very tall for this area!) and easily identifiable especially when out with Spot.
I had spiky hair and was very slim at the time.

One evening, I was visiting my parents and my Dad asked me what I had been doing down at the playing fields (in the local town) that day.
I replied that I hadn't been anywhere near that part of town.
He said that he'd SEEN ME and KNEW it was me, because SPOT WAS WITH ME!
I repeated that it couldn't have been me because I wasn't anywhere near there, and that I hadn't been for many months.
He INSISTED that it MUST have been ME!!
My Own Dad saw me close up, with my dog!!!
...But it wasn't me.

When I was in my late teens / early 20's, one of his pals (a friend of the family) told him that he'd seen me in a Hotel Bar near the local town the night before. It's quite a posh (expensive) place and it would be VERY unusual for me to be able to afford to drink in there at any time.
Dad asked me why I'd been there... but needless to say.... it was my doppelganger again!

tinyhuh

PS - A complete stranger approached me in a shop on the holiday island where my flat is located.
He started chatting away like we were close pals, but I'd never seen him before.

He must have noticed the puzzled look on my face.... because he asked:

"It IS YOU isn't it?"
I replied that it was definitely me.... but probably not who he thought it was!
and he said.... "Gordon?" (My "proper" first name...)
My jaw dropped open.... "yes...?"
and he confirmed "Gordon Marshall" (or similar)
"Nope" says I... you have the wrong Gordon!"!! Doppelganger?? Maybe.

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
@"gordi" 

Damn Doppelganger could at least offer to buy you a drink at one of those posh bars!

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(09-08-2020, 05:32 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"gordi" 

Damn Doppelganger could at least offer to buy you a drink at one of those posh bars!

Cheers

Make mine a DOUBLE!!!!!!

tinylaughing
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
WOW Gordi, that must of been a "Twilight Zone" moment
@"gordi"
Shiiiiit.... Previously my goosebumps had goosebumps. Now the goosebumps on my goosebumps, have goosebumps. tinybigeyes 

I need to keep an eye on this thread. LOVING stuff like this!

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(09-08-2020, 04:48 PM)gordi Wrote: Many years ago, we had a Border Collie Dog called Spot.
He was quite distinctive, mostly white with one large black spot on one side, and a some black markings on the tail, muzzle and ears.
I have always been quite tall (Very tall for this area!) and easily identifiable especially when out with Spot.
I had spiky hair and was very slim at the time.

One evening, I was visiting my parents and my Dad asked me what I had been doing down at the playing fields (in the local town) that day.
I replied that I hadn't been anywhere near that part of town.
He said that he'd SEEN ME and KNEW it was me, because SPOT WAS WITH ME!
I repeated that it couldn't have been me because I wasn't anywhere near there, and that I hadn't been for many months.
He INSISTED that it MUST have been ME!!
My Own Dad saw me close up, with my dog!!!
...But it wasn't me.

When I was in my late teens / early 20's, one of his pals (a friend of the family) told him that he'd seen me in a Hotel Bar near the local town the night before. It's quite a posh (expensive) place and it would be VERY unusual for me to be able to afford to drink in there at any time.
Dad asked me why I'd been there... but needless to say.... it was my doppelganger again!

tinyhuh

PS - A complete stranger approached me in a shop on the holiday island where my flat is located.
He started chatting away like we were close pals, but I'd never seen him before.

He must have noticed the puzzled look on my face.... because he asked:

"It IS YOU isn't it?"
I replied that it was definitely me.... but probably not who he thought it was!
and he said.... "Gordon?" (My "proper" first name...)
My jaw dropped open.... "yes...?"
and he confirmed "Gordon Marshall" (or similar)
"Nope" says I... you have the wrong Gordon!"!! Doppelganger?? Maybe.

G
Things like this do make one think how many times have innocent people got into trouble with the police or there partner. Scary
I saw my doppelganger standing at a bus-stop just across the road from where I was passing.
Like Wallfire, this was back in the eighties and before I was married.

I'd guess I was around twenty years-old and walking from a local Working Men's Club to a public house called
The White Horse. It was in the summer and the evening was too early to suggest low light may have had a bearing.
The bus-stop was -and still is, the last stage in a bus's route in my town before it leaves northwards. Back then, it
was merely a pole with a small sign attached at the top.

I mentioned in another thread that there'd been a 'spooky' old mansion-style house that was close to where I lived,
this had been torn down and replaced with an old-folks home. This building was on my side of the road and I'd just
arrived at where it stood when I saw the perfect double of myself.
Relevant...? I don't know.

I can confidently say I saw the perfect double of myself because from the look on the person's face at the bus-stop,
he was thinking the same too.

I slowed my walk as I became aware of the likeness and my doppleganger didn't seem to notice me getting closer.
He was looking up the road towards the public house (north) and the opposite direction from where any bus would
come. This suggests to me that he knew the time the bus would arrive and later, I wondered if his visit wasn't his first.

Drawing directly across from this person, I knew that the realisation of the situation had dawned on him. Less than
twenty feet in font of him was his double! I was in awe of his stance, the fact that his hair was the same length and
of course, his features were exactly like mine.
His attire was dark -close to what I used to wear, but I could not say what exactly he was wearing.

We looked at each other, looked away as if something was interesting elsewhere and every so often, glance back
at each other. The road is the main route out of my town, but I cannot recall if the traffic was busy. Usually at that time
of the evening and back then, I'd guess it would be limited.

Then a double-decker bus came and blocked our view. In a movie, he would be seated my side of the vehicle and
we would continue to stare at each other. But I just never saw him get on, get seated or move along the bus.
He was just gone and I've never seen him again.
Sort of.

You know when someone comments that you look like someone and it's always the same, there's a manner that
someone sees and it reminds them of you, but the actual physical likeness always lets you down? When looking
at a suggested 'double', we will always see a flaw in their suggestion and know in our heart that the person put
forward looks actually nothing like you.

Well, when I was working for a local newspaper, I dealt with the images that were to be used for the daily paper
and at that time, a ex-gangland/businessman with oodles of money purchased my town's football team.
The guy was a braggart, always boasting of who he was going to buy for the team and actually paid for a huge
new football stadium to be constructed.
The motto was 'old safe-cracker done good'!

This millionaire would stalk my Editor and demand that certain facts regarding his past life would be kept out of
the paper, he usually had a large thug with him when he knocked on doors late at night and intimidated folk.
Eventually, the Police caught him with a boot load of money in his car, speeding along country lanes up to God
-knows-what. Money-laundering I'd suggest, but he was imprisoned for tax evasion.

Back to the tale.
One day, (with the help of the internet, I've got it to around 2002.) this loud-mouthed football team owner arrived
at the gleaming stadium in a large black 4x4 and in front of a group of Reporters and Photographers.
These newspaper-people were there due to this guy ringing up the media and telling them he'd bagged a premier
overseas striker for his third division team.
The chap was Faustino Asprilla... except it was all a sham.

But there's a photograph in my attic, the one that was used in the paper. It shows the the footballer looking slightly
sheepish from the front-seat passenger-side window of the car and in the back seat and seemingly attempting
to speak through a half-opened window, is me.
Except it isn't me.

He looked like I did at the time and with with Faustino Asprilla once playing for Newcastle United -which is just up
the road (north) from where I live, I wondered if it was the guy from the bus-stop now enjoying his employment!
It still makes me smile.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Not a doppleganger per se, but a non-related almost identical twin. I never knew of her until when as a teen I began working in a neighboring town. People thought that I was her! We were the same age, hair color, complexion, build, height, etc. The only difference between us was her eyes were both the same color while mine are different colors. 

When we finally met in person years later it was strange. Her name was Tammy. She said people were always mistaking her for me as well. How we ended up meeting was that she ended up marrying one of my close friend's ex-husband. It really freaked out my entire friend group that he married my "twin" and it was extremely unsettling! 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]