Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good old Joe buy a shot gun
If one wants stopping power at close range then a pump action 12 ga with moose slug. No one is going to get up to fight with you after getting hit with a moose slug
Creepy Uncle Joe Biden does not know his weapons, does not know women, and does not understand the dynamics of Physics.

Firearms are tailored to situations just as hand tools are. The right tool for the right job.

In a defensive situation, double-barrel shotguns are not optimal if there is more than one attacker. Most people, unused to fighting off attackers, will attempt a "warning shot". If they do that, and then miss with the ONE shot they have left, they will suddenly be holding a very expensive club when the attacker gets to them in a rush. They will not have time to break it open, fish out the empties, fish out the fresh rounds, reload, and snap it back shut before the Philistines are upon them.

Most of my life, I have maintained a series of weapons tailored to the right job, and chose which I carry by evaluating the situation I expect to run into.

Handguns are for everyday carry, general use. They are for when you need to be armed, but not obviously so, and are generally used at close range (not over about 20 to 50 yards or so, generally, and usually MUCH closer, say 5 to 15 yards).

Shotguns and submachine guns are also for close range. They are for delivering a high volume of power at close range. They are best used in situations like CQB (Close Quarters battle) and MOUT (Military Operations on Urbanized Terrain), If you are clearing rooms, blowing doors off their hinges, cutting corners and fighting door to door or house to house where an assailant may pop out any time unexpectedly, they are hard to beat.

My personal choice in fighting shotguns has always been a Mossberg 590A1 pump action with a 20" barrel and a few geegaws attached, like a handguard/heat shield and a flashlight. It holds 8 rounds in a tubular magazine and one in the chamber for a total of 9 rounds, and I usually have had a 6 round "sidesaddle" shell carrier attached to the receiver for quick reloads and topping it off during lulls in the fighting. Another advantage is that you can tailor the load easier to the task at hand, switching to buckshot/slugs/special purpose rounds (like door breaching rounds) fairly easily by just popping whatever you need in the instant into the magazine and jacking it into the chamber.

Most shotguns are not well suited to amateurs. Folks will say "ah, they throw a pattern big as a dinner plate - ya can't miss!" but that isn't true. Cylinder chokes allow for the widest patterns, with other chokes suited to hunting with the intent of a hit at longer ranges - which tightens that pattern up considerably. Even with a cylinder choke, I shot through a door once at about 15 feet, and it blew a hole through the door that was only about 4" across the diameter. Furthermore, ANY shotgun has more recoil by nature, and so must be gotten familiar with to avoid mishaps like shown in the video. You have to practice with them. You have to practice enough to understand how tight to grip without over-gripping, how tight to pull it against your shoulder pocket to avoid bruising, and how much to give with the recoil, also to avoid bruising. You can't fight the recoil, or it will pound you like a jackhammer, and you can't just give loosely with it, or it will knock you on your ass. You have to practice enough to learn how to gauge these things.

Some will say a .410 shotgun is good for kids and women - but they aren't. Sure, they have lighter recoil, but a .410 is an expert's gun, a marksman's gun. That is because the pattern is smaller to begin with, and all of them I've ever shot have a tight choke to keep that pattern small. It's almost like shooting a rifle, but without the range.

Double-barrel shotguns are for hunting rabbits, not intimidating interlopers by novice shooters.

Bolt action rifles are for offensive rather than defensive applications, whether that is deer hunting or sniping. Both are offensive in nature - it is not suited to defense if the deer or man you are shooting at suddenly decides to come for you. That's why the spotter in a sniper team is usually armed with an assault rifle - for those defensive situations that occasionally occur.

And this brings us to assault rifles. What is commonly marketed in the US as "assault rifles" are not - they are just semi-auto rifles with a flashy paint job. An "assault rifle", by definition, is capable of select fire - being switched between semi- and full- automatic fire, and chambers an intermediate cartridge. If your "assault rifle" cannot go rock-and-roll, it isn't one. They DO have the advantage in defensive situations even without full-auto because of the volume of aimed fire they can produce. Actual full-auto fire (which so many Americans are scared shitless of) is of limited value. It is wasteful of ammo, burning through it in "spray and pray" scenarios while producing minimal hits in the wild firing. About all it is useful for is keeping heads down while you advance on your opponent, preventing them from accurately firing at YOU, or if you can somehow convince them to rush you in a human wave mass, where you can't miss by just firing into it. Otherwise, full-auto is useless unless you just have a lot of extra ammo you need to waste, or just want to make a lot of noise and smoke with no real effect.

"Bump stocks" are a joke. To hit the broad side of a barn with one, you need to be standing INSIDE the barn. They are just gimmicks - and convenient targets for Democrats to scare their loyal masses with.

For general purpose, I prefer a semi-auto rifle with a high capacity magazine. For the AR and AK platforms, 30 rounds is standard. When I had an AK-74, I also had a couple of 45 round RPK-74 magazines for it. Likewise with ARs - I keep a ton of standard 30 round magazines and a few 40 round magazines. The 40 and 45 rounders are "ambush magazines" for patrol. They allow you to be obnoxious for a few rounds more than the standard so you can get to cover or assault into the ambush without having to worry about reloading quite as often. They could also be useful, I suppose, if the deer decided to attack you en-masse.

Double-barrel shotgun for defense my ass. Creepy Uncle Joe Biden does not understand firearms, fighting, women, or the dynamics of Physics.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’