Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Muhammad Ali dies at age 74
[Image: eeb963ee37094a5ea72717ed84f7ba49.png]

Muhammad Ali defeated Sonny Liston to retain the heavyweight title in May 1965. It was one of his 56 career wins as a professional. AP Photo/John Rooney

A boxing legend has left us, Muhammad Ali
May he rest in peace

Quote:Legendary heavyweight champion and social icon Muhammad Ali has died, a family spokesman said late Friday in a statement.
He was 74.

Ali had been hospitalized in the Phoenix area this week with respiratory issues. The Paradise Valley Police Department told ABC News that an emergency medical services call was made from Ali's address in the Phoenix area on Tuesday, and the Phoenix Fire Department confirmed it responded to a call for mutual aid for a 74-year-old male with respiratory issues at that time.

Retired from boxing since 1981, Ali had battled Parkinson's disease for decades. He had been hospitalized a few other times in recent years, including in early 2015, due to a severe urinary tract infection initially diagnosed as pneumonia.

Source

Quote:Ali was one of the world's most recognized people for his actions in and out of the ring. His stance on the military draft and conversion to Islam polarized America mainly along racial lines. Yet later he unified people with his messages of freedom, peace and equality.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

‘I am the greatest!’

Quote:The Fighter

First and foremost, Muhammad Ali is remembered for his prowess in the ring during a 21-year career as one of boxing's greatest champions. After winning a gold medal in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome at age 18, Ali turned pro. By the time he had 20 fights under his belt in 1964, he had claimed his first world heavyweight title. He is rated by boxing website BoxRec as the second-best heavyweight fighter in history, just behind Joe Louis and ahead of the likes of Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield and Wladimir Klitschko in a rating system based on weight division domination and opponent quality. Here are some of the numbers that illustrate Ali's mastery of his craft:

[Image: 5cfa67ac12a6418fa93f63a3de6e415d.png]

[Image: 3a62d5d8de0f44d98d6a1a1e22218de2.png]

Quote:The Wordsmith

Ali's way with words was just as impressive as his accomplishments in the ring. Referred to as "The Louisville Lip," he was eminently quotable and used one-liners and poetry for various purposes. Sometimes, it was to fire himself up ("I'm so mean I make medicine sick."). Sometimes, it was to drive his opponents to distraction (Sonny Liston was "too ugly to be the world's champ."). Sometimes, it was to express his experience as a black celebrity in a turbulent era ("I know I got it made while the masses of black people are catchin' hell, but as long as they ain't free, I ain't free."). Here are a few of the many quotes that made Ali memorable:

[Image: f1b743a4e37c4f0f8f3d01ece1bb8c6b.png]

[Image: 56346522b2a4417fb3f9a4a101d7ff8d.png]

Quote:The Ambassador

Ali fought on four continents during his career, beginning his international travels with fights in Europe and visiting Asia and Africa later in his career. He never lost a bout away from U.S. soil until his final match in the Bahamas in 1981. His appearances in places such as southeast Asia helped spur worldwide growth of the sport. However, Ali paid a steep price for one international outing. He suffered injuries following a 1976 exhibition against Antonio Inoki of Japan. Inoki was a martial artist and wrestler, and he stayed out of reach the whole bout. His low kicks and lunges inflicted heavy damage to Ali's legs, which led to blood clots. Ali lost some of his mobility in the ring and never recovered it.

Quote:The Strategist

Ali's wins weren't all the result of power and speed. In one instance, he outsmarted a tough foe with a risky strategy. In 1974, Ali faced unbeaten George Foreman in Zaire, a showdown billed as "The Rumble in the Jungle." His rope-a-dope plan, employed en route to an eight-round KO, is one of boxing's greatest examples of strategic improvisation. Rather than eluding Foreman (a 4-1 favorite entering the fight), Ali got close to him and withstood a barrage of brutal punches. Foreman threw an eye-popping 93 total punches in Round 5. Although suicidal on the surface, Ali's strategy caused Foreman to expend far more energy than he did. And when Ali struck, he was precise. In the final three rounds, he landed 23 of his 33 power shots (70%), while Foreman was 28-of-101 (28%). By the end, Ali had enough energy left to knock Foreman out.

Quote:The Icon

Ali's impact on America's cultural landscape is vast. He was one of the first big-name athletes to convert to Islam (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar followed a few years later). He became an influential face and voice of the antiwar movement of the 1960s when he refused to serve and was banned from boxing before ultimately being reinstated. Chuck Wepner's gutsy performance in a loss to Ali became Sylvester Stallone's inspiration for the movie "Rocky", which launched a successful movie franchise. Finally, Will Smith starred in "Ali," the 2001 biopic that generated $58 million at the box office.

[Image: 358de2d0561348b3a375674f3f8774c1.png]

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

R I P Muhammad Ali.
You'll always be remembered :sorryiloveu: [Image: tombstone-RIP.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
The greatest pugilist this world has ever had. Sleep well, Big Man.

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
An Icon.
An Inspiration.
A Hero.
A Sporting Legend.

Ali was the first sports star that I can remember watching as a child.
Old Black & White TV, fuzzy picture tinny sound, and my mum & dad silently staring at the box in the corner until some controversial punch or decision was taken, then all hell breaking loose!
I can still feel that special excitement of the big Ali title fights.

Smokin' Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, George Foreman...

I haven't seen or heard much of Ali in the last few years, although I knew that he had been struggling with illness, but this sad news has really got to me this morning.

Love him or Hate him, he was "The Greatest" and the world will be a less colourful place without him.

Safe Journey Big Guy,

G
2016 seems to be the year for legends to leave us, and here we have another one.

R.I.P.  Ali  

[Image: rest_in_peace.gif]
Mohammed Ali was made of the fabric from which Legends are made of.

[Image: 589a7a0a-0927-4430-8a31-825165f1ec95.jpg]

Prayers to family & friends.

R.I.P Cassius Clay.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~