Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Slaughterbots Can't Be Stopped!
I'm placing this thread in "Where Right Goes Wrong" because this DEFINITELY could go wrong very quickly!  Who could stop this if it fell in the evil enemies hands?   tinywhat And, who defines "evil"?

Quote:You can't actually stop autonomous weapons. They are pretty much guaranteed at this point.
And for anyone who thinks little drones like these are not possible... machine learning has already helped small drones teach themselves to perform aerial maneuvers that human controllers cannot possibly perform.

Slaughterbots is a disturbing short film by the group the "Campaign to Stop Killer Robots".

Source

Slaughterbot film depicting homicidal autonomous AI could become reality

Today’s Audio Streamcast. Click the audio bar to listen:

[Image: wk171107e-trunews.jpg]

scroll fwd about half way

https://www.trunews.com/listen

Since we have accepted the technology of the atom and have rejected the sermon on the mount .. 
we therefore now live in societies full of nuclear giants and ethical infants
[Image: signature_01a.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 10:03 PM)dadmansabode Wrote: Slaughterbot film depicting homicidal autonomous AI could become reality

Today’s Audio Streamcast. Click the audio bar to listen:

[Image: wk171107e-trunews.jpg]

scroll fwd about half way

https://www.trunews.com/listen

Since we have accepted the technology of the atom and have rejected the sermon on the mount .. 
we therefore now live in societies full of nuclear giants and ethical infants

The Saudis gave us a list of names who participated in 9-11?       smallawesome  This group already knows, but for the masses who still believe the MSM's narrative, this is going to be HUGE!  

Sorry, that was just the first topic that came up when I clicked halfway through.   Getting to the rest shortly.

Thanks for the post.
From what I saw in the film, the "slaughterbots" are not actually deciding to kill humans, they are being programmed by humans to kill other humans. They are, essentially, high tech, single- shot guns. The root source of the evil is the same as it is for guns - evil humans, not the slaugherbots.

As a side note, where can I order a few of these to deer hunt with? I'm not getting any younger, and these mountains seem to be somehow getting steeper.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-17-2017, 04:35 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...As a side note, where can I order a few of these to deer hunt with? I'm not getting any younger, and these
mountains seem to be somehow getting steeper.

If it helps -and if you've been good, there'll be a number of deer flying over your rooftop on Christmas Eve.
tinysurprised
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(11-17-2017, 04:35 AM)Ninurta Wrote: As a side note, where can I order a few of these to deer hunt with? I'm not getting any younger, and these mountains seem to be somehow getting steeper.

Yep im suffering from something the same, I dont know if the reindeer are getting faster or im getting slower but my sex life has gone to hell
(11-17-2017, 07:38 PM)Wallfire Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 04:35 AM)Ninurta Wrote: As a side note, where can I order a few of these to deer hunt with? I'm not getting any younger, and these mountains seem to be somehow getting steeper.

Yep im suffering from something the same, I dont know if the reindeer are getting faster or im getting slower but my sex life has gone to hell
*Creeps into the thread,,,, looks around,,,,, smallnotamused *
You're Married With Children,,,,,I would assume. tinysure
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(11-17-2017, 09:10 PM)guohua Wrote:

*Creeps into the thread,,,, looks around,,,,, smallnotamused *
You're Married With Children,,,,,I would assume. tinysure
AAAAA what can i say--------- look a pink reindeer ( runs away)
Explanation: I am horribly reminded of this news article from a few years back ...

Robot Cannon Kills 9, Wounds 14 [wired.com]

Quote:We're not used to thinking of them this way. But many advanced military weapons are essentially robotic – picking targets out automatically, slewing into position, and waiting only for a human to pull the trigger. Most of the time. Once in a while, though, these machines start firing mysteriously on their own. The South African National Defence Force "is probing whether a software glitch led to an antiaircraft cannon malfunction that killed nine soldiers and seriously injured 14 others during a shooting exercise on Friday."

SA National Defence Force spokesman brigadier general Kwena Mangope says the cause of the malfunction is not yet known...

Media reports say the shooting exercise, using live ammunition, took place at the SA Army's Combat Training Centre, at Lohatlha, in the Northern Cape, as part of an annual force preparation endeavour.

Mangope told The Star *that it “is assumed that there was a mechanical problem, which led to the accident. The gun, which was fully loaded, did not fire as it normally should have," he said. "It appears as though the gun, which is computerised, jammed before there was some sort of explosion, and then it opened fire uncontrollably, killing and injuring the soldiers." [More details here – ed.] *

Other reports have suggested a computer error might have been to blame. Defence pundit Helmoed-Römer Heitman told the Weekend Argus that if “the cause lay in computer error, the reason for the tragedy might never be found."

The anti-aircraft weapon, an Oerlikon GDF-005, is designed to use passive and active radar, as well as laser target designators range finders, to lock on to "high-speed, low-flying aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and cruise missiles." In "automatic mode,"
the weapon feeds targeting data from the fire control unit straight to the pair of
35mm guns, and reloads on its own when its emptied its magazine.

Electronics engineer and defence company CEO
Richard Young says he can't believe the incident was purely a mechanical fault. He says his company, C2I2,^ ^in the mid 1990s, was involved in two air defence artillery upgrade programmes, dubbed Projects Catchy and Dart.____ ____

During the shooting trials at Armscor's Alkantpan shooting range, “I
personally saw a gun go out of control several times,” Young says.
“They made a temporary rig consisting of two steel poles on each side of the weapon, with a rope in between to keep the weapon from swinging.
The weapon eventually knocked the pol[e]s down.”

According* to The Star, *"a female artillery officer risked her life... in a desperate bid " to save members of her battery from the gun."

But the brave, as yet unnamed officer was unable to stop the wildly swinging computerised Swiss/German Oerlikon 35mm MK5 anti-aircraft twin-barrelled gun. It sprayed hundreds of high-explosive 0,5kg 35mm cannon shells around the five-gun firing position.

By the time the gun had emptied its twin 250-round auto-loader magazines, nine soldiers were dead and 11 injured.*

And a non military related slaughterbot slaying a humans tragic event ....

Robot 'goes rogue and kills woman on Michigan car parts production line'

Quote:A robot at a car parts manufacturer killed a maintenance technician when it went rogue and crushed her skull, her widower has claimed in a lawsuit.

Wanda Holbrook, who had serviced machinery at the Ventra Ionia Mains plant in Michigan for 12 years, was “trapped by robotic machinery and pronounced dead at the scene” in July 2015.

The 57-year-old’s husband, William Holbrook, filed a wrongful death complaint in Michigan federal court, naming five US robotics companies: Prodomax, Flex-N-Gate, FANUC, Nachi, and Lincoln Electric.

Read more

Robots could replace 250,000 public sector workers

Ms Holbrook was working in the plant’s “100 section” when a robot unexpectedly began to move.

Cells in the section are separated by safety doors and the robot should not have been able to reach her, but somehow it did, the lawsuit claims.

It loaded a trailer attachment assembly part onto her head, crushing her skull.

“Wanda was working in either section 140 or 150 within the ‘100’ cell, when a robot from section 130 took Wanda by surprise, entering the section she was working in,” the complaint says.

“Upon entering the section, the robot hit and crushed Wanda’s head between a hitch assembly it was attempting to place in the fixture of section 140, and a hitch assembly that was already in the fixture.”

Co-workers who eventually realised something was wrong found Ms Holbrook dead from severe head trauma.

Her death "devastated her husband, three children, grandchildren and dozens of co-workers who filled the back four pews at her funeral," the Detroit Free Press reported.
World news in pictures

45 show all

“The robot from section 130 should have never entered section 140, and should have never attempted to load a hitch assembly within a fixture that was already loaded with a hitch assembly,” the lawsuit says.

“A failure of one or more of defendants’ safety systems or devices had taken place, causing Wanda’s death.”

Lincoln Electric spokeswoman Amanda Butler declined to comment on the lawsuit.

“While we can’t comment specifically before thoroughly reviewing the suit, we can say that Lincoln Electric is committed to the design and production of safe solutions,” she told The Courthouse News Service.

Deaths caused by robots are unusual. The first is thought to have happened in 1979, when a worker died after being hit by the arm of a production-line robot at a Ford factory in Flat Rock in Michigan.

Even the famed and reknowned Elon Musk isn't above reproach as one of his driverless Tesla cars made an error that resulted in the immediate death of the actual driver of the car whilst he was busy on his mobile fone. [ I wont link that one as i feel that the previous two articles will make my point very clearly, but you can find it using any decent search engine for the interwebs.]

Personal Disclosure: The terminator movie for realz is no laughing matter at all [not that anybody laughed..I am just saying it as matter of factness ok] and AI will soon surpass our own human skill levels just as was recently demonstrated in a game of Go with an AI that quickly beat the worlds best Go players. We have obsoleted ourselves to be replaced by something that is harder stronger faster better and isn't limited by pain overwhelming them in any circumstances.

However to give some contrast to the slaughterbots I am compelled to compare it with the death by motor vehicles driven by humans.

If killing 'millions' each years in car accidents [random statistic I made up ... but I also bet that I am in the general ballpark with that underhanded figure pitching] was to be deemed unacceptable and we banned all cars and trucks etc then what a different world we would live in and I can say the same for alcohol and smoking as well.

Millions are killed and yet where is the outrage???
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Explanation: Here is a recent youtube video shwoing off a robot [mansized] doing a backflip untethered and landing it like a Boss.

Personal Disclosure: A few years ago when I 1st saw the cute little [child size] NAO robots start lying on the ground and then very quickly self right themselves and stand up I said that we would not be able to fight off swarms of them going all acrobatic and martial arts on our asses!!! And now that is coming more true everyday!
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(11-17-2017, 10:37 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 04:35 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...As a side note, where can I order a few of these to deer hunt with? I'm not getting any younger, and these
mountains seem to be somehow getting steeper.

If it helps -and if you've been good, there'll be a number of deer flying over your rooftop on Christmas Eve.
tinysurprised

My point exactly! That would be PRECISELY the time to roll out flying deer rifles!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

In that case I humbly suggest less deer hunting and more dear hunting!

(11-18-2017, 03:24 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: ...Explanation: Here is a recent youtube video shwoing off a robot [mansized] doing a backflip untethered and landing it like a Boss.
It's the point where the robot spins around on the final block, readying itself for the back-flip, that gets me.
There's a moment when it raises it's right arm to steady it's balance... it's unnerving to me because
it's very human-like.
Coming from a clumsy person who believes athleticism begins and ends with a half-hearted forward roll,
it seems a weird action!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Anybody growing up watching Terminator should be terrified of AI & Autonomous Killers. I mean, just like every fascinating leap in technology we "humanize" it by turning into a weapon. Splitting the Atom = free energy (and nuclear Bombs), dynamite = magnificent advances in mining and construction (and big bombs - and they even named the NOBEL PRIZE after the man that invented it...) Nobel Prize 

Boats and ships (wonderful tools to expand trade and travel) have been turned into armadas that have enslaved and decimated people for millennia.  Airplanes have been firebombing cities for nearly a century (taking brief time off to courier people around their daily lives).  And of course, Tang. Just...no...

So yeah, AI will make computing look like an abacus and it will better the lives of all by opening up the world to fantastic medical advances, physiological betterment, and better educational opportunities. But we all know that the thirst for power and control will also pollute the field and we'll end up with skynet, killer drones that make current drones look like a "testor" model airplane, and a backdoor into everything personal and private in our lives. 

As far as industrial robots? Speaking only for the current robots, they don't belong in the same conversation as this. I am somebody who can program a robot to make me dinner if I wanted to but there is nothing a Fanuc can do without input of a programmer. It goes and does what I teach it to do. So if somebody gets crushed and killed while working in a cell (I hate to say it) that's a human error. Human error via programming, human error via safety guarding, or human error for entering into a work cell without proper Lock out Tag out, but all of those are human problems. A Fanuc is only as smart as its' programmer, so it can be dumb as a box of rocks if you hire the wrong person to do it. 

And on that subject, I spend each and every day plotting my path to putting more robots in this shop. yes, they are here for jobs. yes, I choose robots over people on most days. And no, I don't feel guilty. Guilt should be the parents that somehow let their kids believe that they are "owed" something when they come in my shop and say (fresh out of high school) they deserve 20 dollars an hour to start (because phones are expensive), they'll "try" to be on time every day, overtime is NOT going to happen because I "have plans" at night and on the weekend, and they can't pass a drug test even after KNOWING you will be on the job market (and that you will probably have to pass a test). I have no sympathy. The people that have a good work ethic, want to put in the time, and understand that nothing is free are still hired here. We hire them to program the robots  tinycool